Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ROM] LegacyROM 1.0 GPD Q9 (RK3288)

INTRODUCTION:

The main purpose of this new fimware is to provide a clean firmware without apps or emus, just a firmware as close to AOSP as possible. In this sense there are no apps installed, no emus, no happy chicks warez apps and no metro UI launcher. So if you like the stock apps or emus that come with the device this firmware is not for you. Also, installing this firmware will erase your current data. I haven't got the time I used to have, so this firmware is a very simplistic one, and was not even in my plans. Stock firmware is good enough for 90 percent of people I guess so probably it's not so necessary as in other devices. Anyway, in case someone wants to change at any time, I provide this alternative.

SCREENSHOT: Though screenshot is in spanish, the language is US English by default

FEATURES:

 Compiled from scratch using latest RK KK SDK. This is not based on any stock firmware. However, it includes some stock stuff like the stock mapper or the possibilty to swap internal and external memory.
     Rooted with latest superSU and updated busybox and other binaries.
     Google Play better compatibility (though in stock is quite good in my opinion)
     Init.d support for manual scripts (you can add scripts that you want to be run in init)
     Stock launchers removed and replaced by Apex Launcher
     No bloatware or chinese applications or emus.

CUSTOM KERNEL:
     NFS/CIFS added to kernel (this is untested)
     Remove 1,4 ghz limitation imposed by GPD in latest firnwares. Now you can select 1,6 ghz max (though kernel report 1,8 but 1,6 ghz is max speed, like in old stock firmwares).
     Added new CPU Governor: Ragingmolasses. It is a very conserative one, not for intensive gaming but a battery governor.
     Compiled using several flags for more optimization.

INSTALLATION:

In order to install the firmware you need RK Batch Tool in your PC included in the rar package. Rockchip drivers are also included in case you don't have them.

 Open Batch tool and select the Legacy_XX image file (.img).
     With GPD power off, just connect it via USB Cable to PC. Then just press and Hold Volume + button and Press Power. RK Batch Tool will detect device, and you'll see the number 1 with a green box. If you see with a pink box, just select Switch Button until you see it in green. If the system ask you for some drivers, then just use the one included in the Batch Tool (or using driverInstaller package to install rockchip USB drivers). It's not mandatory but recommended to install with full battery.
     Once device is detected with a green BOX, just select Restore and wait patiently while firmware is written.
     Device will auto reboot to recovery and format your partitions. Just wait patiently until all process is done, since it's a long process and first boot can take several minutes, so just wait until it finishes and you see the home Android launcher.

GENERAL TIPS and CONSIDERATIONS:

 Default CPU governor (interactive) and I/O Scheduler are pretty conservative. For very demanding applications like PPSSPP or Reicast I suggest using ondemand CPU governor and deadline I/O scheduler. You can control this by using a CPU app like SETCPU, NoFrillsCPU, CPU tuner, etc...

 If something (an app or game) is not working, send me a logcat to see what's going on. All complaints just saying “This app game doesn't work” without a logcat will be ignored. And of course apps should be legally obtained. If your get an game or app from unofficial sources and does not work, then buy it and try again.

 If you want to make your microSD as primary sdcard, just go to settings/storage and select micro SD as primary sdcard. This will swap internal and external memory. Then power off and next boot memories will be swapped.

 Don't ask me for updates. This ROM was not in my planning, so no idea if I will ever update this or not.

 For other devs, don't use this firmware or kernel as a base for other works. Please use stock or ask GPD for some code. GPD provides code to devs interested. So anyone is free to compile their own stuff from 0.

 To GPD for their support and collaboration

Download of the ROM:

MEGA provides free cloud storage with convenient and powerful always-on privacy. Claim your free 50GB now!

Mirror: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6J...ew?usp=sharing

I have been playing a little bit with kernel, and after adjusting voltage and playing with dvfs I got 1,8 ghz stable. At least is stable on my unit.

However, in my opinion it's not worth to overclock like that. Difference in performance is quite minimal (Rk3288 cpu is not very powerful) and battery drains a bit faster. Also, have in mind that RK3288 has a cpu temp flag that reduce speed to 1,4 ghz if device gets over 80 Celsius to avoid overheating.

Anyhow, if someone wants a version of the rom with 1,8 ghz unlocked let me know and I can upload them,
    I hope I can get the same thing with GPD XD, if GPD wants to collaborate with me of course.....

Comment

thanks very much for offering this build. i just received my gpd q9 and look forward to testing your rom

Comment

Have in mind that of you got it recently, probably you have the Q9PSV batch, with different analogs and different firmware. si, if that's the case, you will need to install this version of the firmware,

Comment

Originally posted by skelton View Post
          Have in mind that of you got it recently, probably you have the Q9PSV batch, with different analogs and different firmware. si, if that's the case, you will need to install this version of the firmware,

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...mNUQUdRcGRrQVE
          yes Q9PSV... will try shortly

Comment

hey skelton, my daughter got her legacy rom game tablet for xmas... its all going smooth!

if you'd like to collaborate on a new rom, please let me know

Comment

Skelton, Thank You very much for The PSV version of firmware! Simply awesome!

Comment

after experiencing overheatings and unexpected shutdowns, i decided to flash back to stock

Comment

Originally posted by superfreak79 View Post
                  after experiencing overheatings and unexpected shutdowns, i decided to flash back to stock
                  If you have the courage to take apart your Q9, you can always install a heat spreader on the main chip. I do this on every tablet I intend to raise the clocks on. And the Q9 has enough room for it.
                  Last edited by lexluthermiester; 03-30-2016, 04:46.

Comment

The q9 has no good heatsink, so perhaps your device doesn't support overclocking. Mine does it wuthout problems. you can always use a set cpu app and reduce to stock firmware setings (1,4 ghz)

Comment

Originally posted by skelton View Post
                      The q9 has no good heatsink, so perhaps your device doesn't support overclocking. Mine does it wuthout problems. you can always use a set cpu app and reduce to stock firmware setings (1,4 ghz)
                      I use copper or aluminum shims with ArcticSilver Ceramique and a thermal pad between. Works really well, when done right.

Comment

Working...
                      X