Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBC iPlayer app for Android TV (Leanback, TV Remote compatibility) (UK based)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC iPlayer app for Android TV (Leanback, TV Remote compatibility) (UK based)

I've spent ages getting my Sunvell T95Z Plus working as an Android TV in an attempt to recreate the Sony Bravia Android TV interface that I have on my Livingroom TV.
    It's mostly the way I want it now with all interface control possible via the TV's remote control. My biggest issue just now is that I can't get iPlayer to work without a mouse device, e.g. airmouse.

Amazon fire TV/Stick and the Sony TV both have really good interfaces that I want. Problem is Fire TV version won't port across,.... see link to sandog's work
    http://freaktab.com/forum/developmen...egular-android

And I've looked to try and fink the iPlayer apk on the Sony TV, i can adb into it but can't root the device easily and to scared that I brick the TV...

I've tried NVidia Shield version but not managed to get it to work yet and I think it needs the Shield controller to work anyway....

Anyone have any idea if the standard iPlayer apk can be modified or tricked into opening in Leanback mode? T95Z is set to spoof as SONY Bravia 2015 (copied lines from TV's Build.Prop)

Originally posted by Mikevez View Post
    I've spent ages getting my Sunvell T95Z Plus working as an Android TV in an attempt to recreate the Sony Bravia Android TV interface that I have on my Livingroom TV.
    It's mostly the way I want it now with all interface control possible via the TV's remote control. My biggest issue just now is that I can't get iPlayer to work without a mouse device, e.g. airmouse.

Amazon fire TV/Stick and the Sony TV both have really good interfaces that I want. Problem is Fire TV version won't port across,.... see link to sandog's work
    http://freaktab.com/forum/developmen...egular-android

And I've looked to try and fink the iPlayer apk on the Sony TV, i can adb into it but can't root the device easily and to scared that I brick the TV...

I've tried NVidia Shield version but not managed to get it to work yet and I think it needs the Shield controller to work anyway....

Anyone have any idea if the standard iPlayer apk can be modified or tricked into opening in Leanback mode? T95Z is set to spoof as SONY Bravia 2015 (copied lines from TV's Build.Prop)
    You may be able to do it with apk2atv. I am about to do a run of phone apps to see for myself. Oddly enough your doing what I am with my box as well.

IMO the phone apps... My5, iPlayer, and All4 polly can be done easily with the windows utility. Looks like ABC iView, iTV Hub, and STV player may have some issues, because of layout and oddly done mixed features, that are touch only in some areas, and mouse only in others.

i have also found that most of my issues with a mix of ATV apps and Phone apps, is not with the type of android. Phone works just the same with the apps, if you use TV launcher. Having Xposed setup with Magisk, things go wonky. Mostly due to Magisk being updated to play well with hiding from play services. I am weighing what i am gaining and loosing with the combo, and leaning to removing Magisk and doing SU, since i don't rely on Google services just to watch TV.

So far, i see no benefit with using 2015 Sony BravĂ­a 4kHDTV fingerprint and build.prop header info. ATV play store don't populate for specific tvs as phone play store does with phones.

found that Opera Store is now Vewd, which holds manufacturer specific model apk upgrades for packages. Unfortunately, both stores are loaded by device firmware. So you cannot just side load the store and update or install ATV apps. I assume, in about a year or two, our mad Russian friends will have ported Opera Store and Vewd to load on stock ATV as an Posed module or magisk module to load model specific info without need to mod build.prop or add framework.

Comment

Just adding an odd note... I discovered that older 2017 and earlier streaming apps have TV compatibility. Example, ABC iView does not open on my tablet, and is a version below what I have now. Though, is below the recent 2018 releases, and allows better TV usage than all other releases that still function, that are not OEM loaded on TVs.

right now I am scanning through older streaming apps between late 2016 to mid 2017. Obviously BBC iPlayer has time limits on apps that are replaced by newer versions. So no older versions will function.

Also I just loaded and tested Sonys 4K player for 4K UHD TVs. It's awesome... you don't have to pay for any releases you own. Just plug in your codes, as long as you kept the cards in your Blue Ray / DVD case and never tossed them. It's a bit limited with 4K releases but eventually the way Sony is buying entertainment media sources, the list will grow. Another thing, Sony uses less bandwidth and better audio than the competition in its data streams. So for now it is the best option to deliver 4K UK to the masses, as long as they have the app on their TV, or box.

Some complain about the price of a movie, as it is about the price of buying a blue ray DVD. You are not just buying a viewing of a movie, you are able to connect up to 5 devices to watch at any given time. So in essence you are keeping the movie, but it is stored online not in a drawer.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I gave apk2atv a quick try last night but ran into problems due to file and folder locations... I think it's a bug in the release but I think I can get round it... I'll try again tomorrow...
        as for the other stuff you mentioned, Opera Store and Vewd... I wasn't even aware of these so I'll need to look into them to get my head around what they are/have/do.

I'm honestly so disappointed in ATV play store and application support... i thought this would have been a big market for google/android... most of the low to mid range Smart TV interfaces are very limited and amazon and apple must be making a killing...

Comment

Originally posted by Mikevez View Post
          Thanks for the info. I gave apk2atv a quick try last night but ran into problems due to file and folder locations... I think it's a bug in the release but I think I can get round it... I'll try again tomorrow...
          as for the other stuff you mentioned, Opera Store and Vewd... I wasn't even aware of these so I'll need to look into them to get my head around what they are/have/do.

I'm honestly so disappointed in ATV play store and application support... i thought this would have been a big market for google/android... most of the low to mid range Smart TV interfaces are very limited and amazon and apple must be making a killing...
          Ah, yes Google tv playstore is a joke. Mainly because tv manufacturers do not like playing with buggy apps, so they limit how much updates are done to their devices. Firmware seems to play a big part of it, for what gets updated. Since vewd and the older Opera store manage similar to Samsung app store, they are better suited to keep packages in line to the device, since Google can't manage at all even with phones and tablets. Your device may drop off the list on a package you want at any given time. Seen it a few times.

I use a mix of Aptoide TV and APK updater. Both don't fully weed out between installed app and updated app that is not of the same varient. So you will see a few newly updated phone apps being the main update over the good ATV version. Also apkmirror is a nice option to search for particular versions. Sometimes you find a miss placed ATV app in common phone apps, that is not found in ATV app searches. Thus the ABC iView app. I assume back between 2016 and 2017 there were a few tv apps that were released to Google, and are now long gone or locked to just manufacturer firmware. It would be interesting to be a tv repair person, and dig Into various packages released on pre 2018 smart TVs with android. I bet many that don't get firmware updates are locked with the packages not given in any APK download sites.

I figure another year or so, them Russians will be digging into used TVs and pulling packages. The older apks seem to be better, as they are smaller, and are just as functional, and have no device checks, but may fail to connect to streaming servers, like my old black version of All4. If somebody could replace some of the components to connect, or maybe change server ip info, them older apps may work fine on ATV on Dpad use. But that is just a concern with the use of finding an old app, without testing.

I have yet to get any of the modded apps to load on Lean back launcher list... think the program is buggy. There is a playstore app that does the same, but I have yet to play with it. Like the option to change icon and have some customisation.

so far the apps, hack connectivity fix, My5, and an older ABC iView are mostly d-pad on ATV. Just iView happens to be lean back launcher compatible, and a wee buggy if you don't wait for each section to fully load or go to fast with dpad clicks. Was hoping to make My5 as well, as the only thing that requires a mouse input is exit. I hit home and use prevent run to auto kill when exiting.

figured out SBS On Demand will work on this firmware, but it requires amouse real mouse or remodroid. Built around touch and drag features. Unfortunately the old app is white background.

Comment

Working...
          X