Kernel build question - Device tree and defconfig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel build question - Device tree and defconfig

Is it possible to build a kernel by using an extracted device tree instead of a defconfig to build for a platform which you do not have a specific defconf?

Or possibly to somehow convert a device tree file into a defconfig?

Thanks!
    -SB
    ---------------------------------------
    Currently using U-BOX R89 with mo123 v1.6.
    Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
    Pipo M9S -- CrewRKTab custom rooted 4.4.2
    RCA Viking Pro 10 -- Custom stock rooted 5.1 by me <- FOR SALE
    ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Cool, thanks, Mo!

I read the free "device tree for dummies" pdf and became curious about it. In that "book" (it's like 60 pages) they were saying to make your device trees that could support multiple devices or multiple board configs more general and then handle most of the differences at the driver level, rather than making multiple, more specific device trees for each board.

I was hoping that the reverse was true and the device tree would be more board specific. Just trying to figure out if there is some way to get closer to the original kernel config on my R89 than the more general firefly config. Maybe the original dts extracted from latest beelink kernel + firefly is as close as it gets.

Thanks again and cheers!
    -SB
    ---------------------------------------
    Currently using U-BOX R89 with mo123 v1.6.
    Other android tv device - ADT-1 running latest PureNexus 6.0.1 MM and very impressed with the changes vs stock molly!
    Pipo M9S -- CrewRKTab custom rooted 4.4.2
    RCA Viking Pro 10 -- Custom stock rooted 5.1 by me <- FOR SALE
    ----------- ROM by me, the first way to update ZTE Force 4G from ICS to JB http://androidforums.com/threads/fin...om-ics.886408/

Comment

The thought behind gadget tree is entirely basic. At the point when the piece begins, it needs to instate the drivers for the gadgets on the board. Be that as it may, frequently on installed frameworks, gadgets can't be find at running time. For this situation, the Linux bit has a c record that introduce the gadgets for the board. So the part should be changed/assembled for every board.

Another route is to give a little document that portray the board to the Linux piece. At the point when the part begin, it understands this document (called dtb for Device Tree Binary) to know the gadgets on the board, and instate usefull drivers.
      [FONT=Arial][B][SIZE=13px]silk tie sets[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]
      Silk Tie Sets includes Polka Dot Ties Sets, Geometric, Stripped, checkered, solid

Comment

Working...
      X