new OS for kernel building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new OS for kernel building

Hi, in the past, I have used an xubuntu partition for that purpose.
    Wubi xubuntu 12.xxx
    But I messed it so badly when I tried to update to 13.xx
    So I wanted to redo the work entirely and with 14.0x but wubi no more and I hate to be forced to use partitions
    So the best light and fast distro I could find was bodhi 3.0.0rc1 which is Ubuntu 14.04 under the bonnet.
    Do you think it is as appropriate as a real *buntu to be used to build android kernels and ROMs ?
    Tks

I use Ubuntu Studio because I like the features it provides. Most of the other developers use Ubuntu.

I guess any variation of Ubuntu will work as long as you can configure all of the tools you need.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Comment

tks randy, desktop focused Ubuntu have a tendency to become huge and too bloated and a coder do not necessarily need fancy ms Windows looking GUI and graphical tools.

any other opinion ?

Comment

Originally posted by raxy View Post
        tks randy, desktop focused Ubuntu have a tendency to become huge and too bloated and a coder do not necessarily need fancy ms Windows looking GUI and graphical tools.

any other opinion ?
        Well, that would be uber-leet not to use any GUI and pore through the commandline all the time. No wonder why Gentoo has earned such a reputation.

Comment

building a kernel or a full firmware is still and will remain a matter of typing command lines.

Comment

I normally use ubuntu 13.10 for building kernels and compiling some SDKs from amlogic and Rockchip.
            But I have used Debian in the past with no problems, so I think any distro should work, as long as you prepare your environment.

Comment

building a kernel or a full firmware is still and will remain a matter of typing command lines.
              Figures, since it generally isn't a GUI affair anyway, and nor does Linux kernel/software development in general. There are IDEs to help out in coding/compiling, but it all boils down to providing a frontend for the commandline tools.

Comment

While most of what I do is in the terminal, being able to use Nautilus to browse around the hard drives is a must. That's about the only GUI app I ever run in Linux.

Since I run Ubuntu Studio in a VirtualBox...most of my other PC functions are done in Windows.
                Randy
                Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
                Read my BIO Here
                Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                Donate here

Comment

If all you do is compile 100% working source with infinite options already configured then it is command line driven. However, if you want to actually create / change the code you will find a UI more than a little beneficial.
                  Measy U4B (=Tronsmart T428) used by my kids!
                  Onda v975m - M802 - Bought from Banggood.com
                  Pipo M8HD 3G - RK3188 - don't buy from pipo-store
                  Tronsmart S89 Vega -S802 (sponsored by Geekbuying)
                  CX921b -RK3188T (sponsored by AndroidTV)
                  Cube U30GT2 - RK3188 (part sponsored by Geekbuying)
                  RKM MK902 - RK3188 (sponsored by RKM)

Donate to Finless

Comment

Working...
                  X