X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d33
    replied
    Originally posted by raxy View Post
    building a kernel or a full firmware is still and will remain a matter of typing command lines.
    If all you do is compile 100% working source with infinite options already configured then it is command line driven. However, if you want to actually create / change the code you will find a UI more than a little beneficial.

Leave a comment:

• rrileypm
    replied
    While most of what I do is in the terminal, being able to use Nautilus to browse around the hard drives is a must. That's about the only GUI app I ever run in Linux.

Since I run Ubuntu Studio in a VirtualBox...most of my other PC functions are done in Windows.

Leave a comment:

• huckeberrypie
    replied
    building a kernel or a full firmware is still and will remain a matter of typing command lines.
    Figures, since it generally isn't a GUI affair anyway, and nor does Linux kernel/software development in general. There are IDEs to help out in coding/compiling, but it all boils down to providing a frontend for the commandline tools.

Leave a comment:

• skelton
    replied
    I normally use ubuntu 13.10 for building kernels and compiling some SDKs from amlogic and Rockchip.
    But I have used Debian in the past with no problems, so I think any distro should work, as long as you prepare your environment.

Leave a comment:

• raxy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• huckeberrypie
    replied
    tks randy, desktop focused Ubuntu have a tendency to become huge and too bloated and a coder do not necessarily need fancy ms Windows looking GUI and graphical tools.

any other opinion ?
    Well, that would be uber-leet not to use any GUI and pore through the commandline all the time. No wonder why Gentoo has earned such a reputation.

Leave a comment:

• raxy
    replied
    tks randy, desktop focused Ubuntu have a tendency to become huge and too bloated and a coder do not necessarily need fancy ms Windows looking GUI and graphical tools.

any other opinion ?

Leave a comment:

• rrileypm
    replied
    I use Ubuntu Studio because I like the features it provides. Most of the other developers use Ubuntu.

I guess any variation of Ubuntu will work as long as you can configure all of the tools you need.

Leave a comment:

• raxy
    started a topic new OS for kernel building

new OS for kernel building

Hi, in the past, I have used an xubuntu partition for that purpose.
    Wubi xubuntu 12.xxx
    But I messed it so badly when I tried to update to 13.xx
    So I wanted to redo the work entirely and with 14.0x but wubi no more and I hate to be forced to use partitions
    So the best light and fast distro I could find was bodhi 3.0.0rc1 which is Ubuntu 14.04 under the bonnet.
    Do you think it is as appropriate as a real *buntu to be used to build android kernels and ROMs ?
    Tks
Working...
X