X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rkpatchomatic tool - overclock binary rk3066 kernels

Some time ago I posted a tool to overclock binary RK3188 kernels:
    http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...rk3188-kernel!

Some folks asked for a RK3066 version, it's now available:
    https://github.com/phjanderson/rkpatchomatic
    Usage instructions are also available on the link above.

It's a Perl script, should run on any Linux / Mac. Windows users can use ActivePerl:
    http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads

Please read the following carefully:

update: GPU overclock does not seem to work yet, the rest of the overclocks do work

RK3066 USERS PLEASE READ!!!
    Overclocking your GPU might make your device slower if you do not also modify init.rc in your boot.img. For example, if you change the GPU profile from 266/400mhz to 266/533mhz and your init.rc reads the following:
    insmod /system/lib/modules/mali.ko mali_dvfs=50,100,133,160,200,266,400 Then the 533mhz might be ignored an you'll end up with 266mhz instead. Editing init.rc in boot.img can be rather difficult. I haven't tested this feature well yet. Please test both a "gpustock" version and an overclocked GPU version with antutu to confirm that the performance actually did increase.

The RK3066 version also tries to remove the CPU and GPU frequency limit. If this fails, it will only give a warning and continue. Please scroll your console up a bit to check for such warnings. The reason it fails can either be that there is no limit set in your kernel, or that the limit uses different frequencies than the ones this tool searches for. Please use Antutu before and after the modification to confirm that the performance actually did increase.

The RK3066 version also tries to patch the DDR init frequency, as many kernels might have DVFS disabled for the DDR RAM. Again, the patching might fail. You might not see much speed improvement on 720p, I didn't test 1080p yet.

Disclaimer
    Use these tools at your own risk and only if you know what you're doing! Don't blame me if your stick burns to a crisp.
    Last edited by phjanderson; 11-06-2013, 11:58.
    Want to thank me for my work? Donate to one of the administrators of this forum here or here, thanks!

Re: rkpatchomatic tool - overclock binary rk3066 kernels

You are the man.
    Thanks
    if [ $up.post.type = $type.two.lazy.to_use_google ] || [ $up.post.type = $type.silly_question ];
    then mv $user.contact.up.post /.trash; set response($response.type = ignore);
    $user.up.post.ignore_in_future = true; fi;

Comment

Re: rkpatchomatic tool - overclock binary rk3066 kernels

Originally posted by phjanderson View Post
      Some time ago I posted a tool to overclock binary RK3188 kernels:
      http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...rk3188-kernel!

Some folks asked for a RK3066 version, it's now available:
      https://github.com/phjanderson/rkpatchomatic
      Usage instructions are also available on the link above.

It's a Perl script, should run on any Linux / Mac. Windows users can use ActivePerl:
      http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/downloads

Please read the following carefully:

RK3066 USERS PLEASE READ!!!
      Overclocking your GPU might make your device slower if you do not also modify init.rc in your boot.img. For example, if you change the GPU profile from 266/400mhz to 266/533mhz and your init.rc reads the following:
      insmod /system/lib/modules/mali.ko mali_dvfs=50,100,133,160,200,266,400 Then the 533mhz might be ignored an you'll end up with 266mhz instead. Editing init.rc in boot.img can be rather difficult. I haven't tested this feature well yet. Please test both a "gpustock" version and an overclocked GPU version with antutu to confirm that the performance actually did increase.

The RK3066 version also tries to remove the CPU and GPU frequency limit. If this fails, it will only give a warning and continue. Please scroll your console up a bit to check for such warnings. The reason it fails can either be that there is no limit set in your kernel, or that the limit uses different frequencies than the ones this tool searches for. Please use Antutu before and after the modification to confirm that the performance actually did increase.

The RK3066 version also tries to patch the DDR init frequency, as many kernels might have DVFS disabled for the DDR RAM. Again, the patching might fail. You might not see much speed improvement on 720p, I didn't test 1080p yet.

Disclaimer
      Use these tools at your own risk and only if you know what you're doing! Don't blame me if your stick burns to a crisp.
      Great work!!!.

leolas.
      REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
      My devices:
      Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
      MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
      Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
      Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
      Gearbest.com)
      MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
      Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
      Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

I came across this seperately

within the init.rc of the boot for my system (M8HD Tablet) I have the same command "insmod /system/lib/modules/mali.ko mali_dvfs=50,100,133,160,200,266,400"

How does this operate with the GPU clock frequencies in the kernel? should I add 600, 798 to this?
        Measy U4B (=Tronsmart T428) used by my kids!
        Onda v975m - M802 - Bought from Banggood.com
        Pipo M8HD 3G - RK3188 - don't buy from pipo-store
        Tronsmart S89 Vega -S802 (sponsored by Geekbuying)
        CX921b -RK3188T (sponsored by AndroidTV)
        Cube U30GT2 - RK3188 (part sponsored by Geekbuying)
        RKM MK902 - RK3188 (sponsored by RKM)

Donate to Finless

Comment

Originally posted by darrellr View Post
          I came across this seperately

within the init.rc of the boot for my system (M8HD Tablet) I have the same command "insmod /system/lib/modules/mali.ko mali_dvfs=50,100,133,160,200,266,400"

How does this operate with the GPU clock frequencies in the kernel? should I add 600, 798 to this?
          You should add the new frequencies there, such as ,466,533

I didn't manage to test it yet as I seem unable to edit the init.rc in the boot.img file.
          Want to thank me for my work? Donate to one of the administrators of this forum here or here, thanks!

Comment

You should add the new frequencies there, such as ,466,533

I didn't manage to test it yet as I seem unable to edit the init.rc in the boot.img file.
            I used the RK3xxx tools to deconstruct/reconstruct boot.img and made just that small adjustment but once flashed the tablet doesn't boot properly.
            Measy U4B (=Tronsmart T428) used by my kids!
            Onda v975m - M802 - Bought from Banggood.com
            Pipo M8HD 3G - RK3188 - don't buy from pipo-store
            Tronsmart S89 Vega -S802 (sponsored by Geekbuying)
            CX921b -RK3188T (sponsored by AndroidTV)
            Cube U30GT2 - RK3188 (part sponsored by Geekbuying)
            RKM MK902 - RK3188 (sponsored by RKM)

Donate to Finless

Comment

Originally posted by darrellr View Post
              I used the RK3xxx tools to deconstruct/reconstruct boot.img and made just that small adjustment but once flashed the tablet doesn't boot properly.
              As a sanity check you could deconstruct and reconstruct the boot.img without making changes and see if boots.

Comment

Can anybody make a cpu1704 and cpu1800 profile for rk3066?
                I know that the second value is the frequency, but i don't know what the 1st and 3rd values are. I quess they are voltages but i have no idea which values to choose for 1,7 and 1,8 ghz.

Comment

hey, finally the tool i've been waiting so long
                  i tried to patch my tablet kernel with success, but changes take no effect (tried to change GPU-clock, but have the "dvfs...mali.ko - clocks" in init.rc)

init.rc can be edited with that tool:
                  http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2257331

but i failed to repack the boot.img

BTW: We patch the kernel.img, but what is with the kernel-image within the boot.img???

Comment

Originally posted by ronson3 View Post
                    i tried to patch my tablet kernel with success, but changes take no effect (tried to change GPU-clock, but have the "dvfs...mali.ko - clocks" in init.rc)

BTW: We patch the kernel.img, but what is with the kernel-image within the boot.img???
                    Use this tool to unpack/repack boot.img
                    http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...Firmware-Tools

Comment

Originally posted by ronson3 View Post

I get the same.

Even forcing say 466mhz for all frequency's in the init.rc won't change GPU speed, adding frequency's to the table on the mk808 causes the device to black screen.
                      Currently Using:
                      2 x Nvidia Shield TV | MiniMX III
                      Retired Devices:
                      MiniMX III-II | Mk808b Pro | Mk808b Plus | Raspberry Pi 1 + 2 | UBOX R89 | MK808 | MK808b | CS008 | X1 4K (rk3288_809) | CYX_809III | Ouya | CX-919 | S82 Plus | Tronstmart R68

Comment

Originally posted by ididmytime View Post
                        Even forcing say 466mhz for all frequency's in the init.rc won't change GPU speed, adding frequency's to the table on the mk808 causes the device to black screen.
                        Have you tried what happens if you remove the mali_dvfs parameter altogether?

I once tested that with my T428 and experienced no ill effects. Dmesg showed that the frequencies set by the kernel were in use.
                        NVidia Shield TV 2015 16 GB || Stock
                        NVidia Shield TV 2017 16 GB || Stock
                        Buy me a beer?

Comment

It might be possible that the GPU overclock doesn't work for the 3066. Maybe I'm still getting some of the patching wrong. The 3188 requires less patching but also doesn't get much gain as 600mhz is already it's stock frequency.

Comment

The 3188 requires less patching but also doesn't get much gain as 600mhz is already it's stock frequency.
                            Really? I thought it was 533MHz.
                            NVidia Shield TV 2015 16 GB || Stock
                            NVidia Shield TV 2017 16 GB || Stock
                            Buy me a beer?

Comment

Blackscreen with patched kernel. Cube U9gt4

Comment

Working...
                              X