Backed up START=0x00010000, COUNT=0x00010000, stored in recovery
      Backed up START=0x00020000, COUNT=0x00020000, stored in backup
      Backed up START=0x00040000, COUNT=0x00040000, stored in cache
      Backed up START=0x00080000, COUNT=0x00800000, stored in userdata
      Backed up START=0x00880000, COUNT=0x00002000, stored in metadata
      Backed up START=0x00882000, COUNT=0x00002000, stored in kpanic
      Backed up START=0x00884000, COUNT=0x00180000, stored in system
      Backed up START=0x00A04000, COUNT=0x015FC000, stored in user

My userdata is one of the middle partitions and not the final (very large) one.

I had a bootloop at one time.

Does all this failing to restore a backup mean that the flashing is faulty or the backups are faulty? I think we need guidance from Bob (Finless) or other knowledgeable people. Either way it is not satisfactory. Just goes to show that a backup system is no use without actually trying to restore something (disaster recovery).

@bluesmanuk - You obviously noticed that my script explicitly looked for AndroidTool v2.1 so you needed to change the 2.1 to 2.3. I did this because all the button clicks and tab clicks have explicit names and I wanted to guarantee that the script worked. I only had v2.1 to test on.

Darren

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
    Right, here is what I did:

Modified the script to use AndroidTool 2.3 to run a backup and ran it - Success

Made a backup using AndroidTool 2.3 using RockchipDumpSplit_0.96 - Success

Ran the lower format option in AndroidTool 2.3 to erase idb - Success

Filled in the appropriate parameters in AndroidTool 2.3 to flash back, leaving loader, uboot and resource blank. Noted that you cannot use cache.img, kpanic.img and metadata.img. I used the backup made from the revised script.

Ran the flash - Failed at download kernel.

Tried to erase idb again with AndroidTool 2.3 - Fail

Restarted the box in bootloader mode and erased idb again with AndroidTool 2.3 - Success

Restarted the box again in bootloader mode and ran the flash again as above - Fail at 90% check userdata

Booted the box to check the final result, which of course I fully expected to fail and did with an incomplete userdata restore and no backup.img having been processed. It just went into a bootloop at the bootanimation screen.

In terms if erasing idb and flashing using AndroidTool 2.3 it does seem that you need to restart the box after the erase to flash or erase again.

I'm going to use the AndroidTool 2.3 again to flash the other backup and see what happens.

Update: Failed at 86% userdata check this time.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenNewsgroup View Post
      Here is an extract from my log file
      • Flash info modified: Flash Size: 8464MB
        Flash info modified: Flash CS: 0 2
        Flash size reset from 8464 to 8192
        Flash info: Calculated NVM size = 0x02000000

Backed up START=0x00000000, COUNT=0x00000004, stored in parameter
        Backed up START=0x00002000, COUNT=0x00002000, stored in misc
        Backed up START=0x00004000, COUNT=0x00006000, stored in kernel
        Backed up START=0x0000a000, COUNT=0x00006000, stored in boot
        Backed up START=0x00010000, COUNT=0x00010000, stored in recovery
        Backed up START=0x00020000, COUNT=0x00020000, stored in backup
        Backed up START=0x00040000, COUNT=0x00040000, stored in cache
        Backed up START=0x00080000, COUNT=0x00800000, stored in userdata
        Backed up START=0x00880000, COUNT=0x00002000, stored in metadata
        Backed up START=0x00882000, COUNT=0x00002000, stored in kpanic
        Backed up START=0x00884000, COUNT=0x00180000, stored in system
        Backed up START=0x00A04000, COUNT=0x015FC000, stored in user
      My userdata is one of the middle partitions and not the final (very large) one.

I had a bootloop at one time.

Does all this failing to restore a backup mean that the flashing is faulty or the backups are faulty? I think we need guidance from Bob (Finless) or other knowledgeable people. Either way it is not satisfactory. Just goes to show that a backup system is no use without actually trying to restore something (disaster recovery).

@bluesmanuk - You obviously noticed that my script explicitly looked for AndroidTool v2.1 so you needed to change the 2.1 to 2.3. I did this because all the button clicks and tab clicks have explicit names and I wanted to guarantee that the script worked. I only had v2.1 to test on.

Darren
      I did change the 2.1 to 2.3 in the script as well as the exe and it ran just as I would expect.

In terms of the backups or flash being faulty, the real dilemma of this is that I have been able to successfully restore backups before, so that makes it a real quandry.

I'm currently restoring the new backups again using 1.37 to see what happens this time.

Before I started backing up again today, after setting the box up from scratch again, I carried out CWM backup and copied the SD card contents to my external sd card, so if the restore fails again, I have another method to try to hopefully not have to setup again from scratch.

There is something that I wonder but have not tried.

Some people don't take the option to backup userdata and perhaps in this scenario they are able to restore to their satisfaction.

So maybe the backup of userdata is where the issue lies.

Looking through the folders on my sd card prior to backing them up, I did notice a repository of some kind for XBMC, XBMC being one of the areas where I had issues with not all the required files being present to update and run various plugins.

If the current 1.37 restores fail but the CWM/restore of files backed up from the sdcard works, then it will show that not everything is actually being backed up, but I will know more a little later after testing.

Monitoring each restore using 1.37 I did notice something interesting.

In the info windows it said: Writing data to flash,size (339972)k but the part to the right that says Written(xxxxxx) the xxxxxx figure goes beyond the size that it specifies is supposed to be written.

But when it has finished writing, the figure showing as having been written is the same as that which was expected.
      R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

It gets worse lol

After erasing nand and carrying out a restore from the backup using AndroidTool2.3 and RockchipDumpSplit_0.96 on booting it goes into a bootloop at the bootanimation screen.

I am now wondering whether AndroidTool2.3 has an issue with backups as well as with restores.

I'll now try a restore using the backup with the modified script and truncated size to see what happens then.

Comment

Another restore fail with bootloop at bootanimation.

Perhaps the new tool is only suited to 3288 and not 3066/3188.

Now to flash the original ROM, restore from CWM and copy the sd card contents back and see if that does actually work.

Comment

Normal service is now resumed following flashing the original ROM, CWM restore and copy files back.

Comment

Archos 7 Home Tablet V2

I have successfully backed-up every partition of my Archos 7 Home Tablet v2 with this new tool. Can anyone advise how I can mount the user.img or userdata.img partitions on my pc? I've successfully mounted system.img using the command "sudo mount -o loop system.img system" but the same won't work for either the user or userdata.img files. Anyone have any ideas what i'm doing wrong??

Comment

Generally, you must tell the mount command what type of file system is in the userdata.img file.

I'm not sure what it is, or how to tell...but try:

sudo mount -t ext4 -o loop userdata.img "folder name".
                Randy
                Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
                Read my BIO Here
                Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                Donate here

Comment

That was my first thought but I've tried that command with a variety of filesystems ext2, 3, 4, fat etc but it still won't mount . I've looked at the file using HxD but can't work out the filesystem. Does it need to be decompressed or something similar before running the mount command???

Comment

Quick Question....

Bluesmanuk -- Do you have another link to Petrus' Rebooter app? I tried the link from the previous post where you gave it, but I can't seem to reinstall it (I've unrooted and did a factory restore since).

While I may not be able to repay 'helping hands' forward, the least I can do is use tools shared and once again, tools created by someone here, no less. Thanks....

Bern.
                    If it ain't broke, mess with it anyway! You just might learn something!!

PC running Windows 7
                    Surface running Windows RT 8.1
                    VL Prestige Pro 7D running Jelly Bean 4.1.1
                    Dell Venue 8 running KitKat 4.4.2

Comment

Originally posted by Bernwoodshanover View Post
                      Bluesmanuk -- Do you have another link to Petrus' Rebooter app? I tried the link from the previous post where you gave it, but I can't seem to reinstall it (I've unrooted and did a factory restore since).

While I may not be able to repay 'helping hands' forward, the least I can do is use tools shared and once again, tools created by someone here, no less. Thanks....

Bern.
                      This link works.

I think that it was changed because of the provider saw too much use of it.

http://www.freak-tab.de/petrus/Reboot_v1.2.3.apk

It's only going to be of use in a rooted device though.

Comment

Getting Somewhere....

Thanks for the heads up, Bluesmanuk. I couldn't find an app that did NOT require rooting so I did more research on my specific tablet and came across a YouTube video I trusted (sorry kids, but I just can't listen to a 10-yr old whose parents paid for their device. An adult that bought what they're playing with is more believable to me at this stage. I'll save the kiddy reviews for the 'tips, tricks & cheats' later on as kids tend to know more about their devices then most for sure. Just saying....LOL).

I put together the following set of instructions to relieve the next Android virgin of all the frustrations I suffered as this li'l ole 7" tablet kicked my butt on the road to creating a proper first backup. Hope this helps.

Instructions to get your tablet into recovery options. It is strickly based on the Visual Land Prestige Pro 7D (as stated below). Other Visual Land tablets may vary....

------------------------------------------

If you haven't already done so, make sure your battery is charged up to be able to complete your task (especially if you are NOT going to connect tablet to a PC, for ex.). OK, let's begin.

------------------------------------------

Power off the Visual Land Prestige Pro 7D.

Press and hold the volume UP button (and continue doing so through the next couple of steps!).

While still holding the volume UP button, press and hold the power button until you see Visual Land's splash screen.

Release the power button ONLY. Continue holding the volume UP button until you see the android recovery icon (center screen).

Now release the volume UP button.

Next, press and hold the power button and tap the volume UP button until you see the recovery options menu.

Release all buttons.

Using the volume UP/Down buttons to scroll through the menu, choose the desired option by pressing the power button.

(Be careful at this point as you have now officially left the "user friendly" zone, so know what you're trying to accomplish ahead of time! I believe the original menu rests on "reboot system now" by default, so accidentally bumping the power button prematurely would simply reboot the system and you'd have to start this entire procedure over again. It could otherwise be disasterous if, say, you happen to be resting on the "wipe data/factory reset" option when it's NOT what you intended to do!! You MAY have an additional option to say YES or NO at that point, but I haven't tried these options yet so....).

That's it! Here's an actual listing of the recovery options screen:

Android system recovery <3e>

Volume up/down to move highlight;
                        power button to select.

reboot system now
                        apply update from ADB
                        apply update from external storage
                        update rkimage from external storage
                        apply update from cache
                        wipe data/factory reset
                        wipe cache partition
                        recovery system from backup
                        __________________________________________________ _____________________

Recovery system v4.1
                        Please note: The screen YOU see may be 'slightly' different than mine depending on your software (I happen to be running Jelly Bean 4.1), but the menu itself should remain the same.
                        I next tried the volume DOWN button instead of the UP button at the beginning above to see if I'd get a different menu, but it simply boots up as usual after holding the power button, so I'm guessing that's all I'm getting.

Which option is or gets me to the 'flash mode'?

BTW, do with the instructions as you see fit. You may know a term that fits better or a trick of some kind, I don't know. The Recovery screen, however, is typed EXACTLY as I saw it on my tablet. It MAY help another newbie to know this ahead of time.

Bern :NOTED

PC running Windows 7

Comment

None of the options in recovery get you to flash mode and they are not supposed to.

You have established that volume up gets you to recovery.

So, try each of the following to get into flash mode.

Different tablets have differing ways of doing things, so I'll tell you of two ways that I have used.

1. Disconnect the tablet from your PC but keep the USB cable that was supplied with the tablet connected to it.
                          Run the ROM dumper tool on your PC, such that it will say No found any devices.
                          Hold down the volume down button and whilst it is held down, connect the cable to your PC.
                          Usually you will get a beep from the PC speaker to indicate that you are connected in flash mode.
                          But even if you don't get a beep, if the ROM dumper tool display changes to show that it has found your tablet, then you know that you are in flash mode.
                          If it doesn't work, disconnect from the PC and switch off the tablet (if it is on for any reason).

2. Follow the same procedure as above but when you connect the cable to the PC, whilst keeping the volume down button pressed, press the power on button on the tablet for 2 to 3 seconds and see if the ROM dumper tool shows that it has found the tablet.

It is possible that you may have to try each option in different USB ports as there have been reports in the past of it not working with all of them, especially USB 3.

The other option, that I found that I had to do with one particular troubled tablet of my own was that if option 1 doesn't work, before attempting option 2, connect your tablet to the AC power supply for 10 seconds or more before trying again.

There is a procedure that can be attempted whilst in recovery, with the tablet connected to the PC but that requires using the command prompt, so save that for if all else fails.

I am assuming at this point that the correct drivers are installed for the tablet but with a little luck, windows will automatically install any that you need at the time of detecting flash mode connection.

Comment

This IS 'Flash Mode'?

Bernwoodshanover asked:

Which option is or gets me to the 'flash mode'?
                            This was a rookie mistake, wasn't it? This IS the mode you wanted me in, isn't it?

Never mind what I said next. I deleted it.

Bluemansuk -- you beat me to posting!!

Bern

PC running Windows 7

Comment

Originally posted by Bernwoodshanover View Post
                              This was a rookie mistake, wasn't it? This IS the mode you wanted me in, isn't it?

Assuming 'Developer options' are off (USB debugging is NOT ticked), 'Mass Storage' IS ticked and the 'Android system recovery' screen is visible, can I now connect the tablet to the PC via the USB cable and repeat the process of creating backups for my device?

Bern
                              USB debugging should be ticked.

Recovery is a different mode and not what you want to run a backup.

The key is getting the ROM dumper tool to show that it has found a device.

One thing that you can try if you can use a command prompt is to get back into recovery as you did earlier, with the tablet connected to the PC.

You can then run a command using adb from the command prompt by typing

adb reboot bootloader

Then pressing the enter key to execute it (I am again assuming that ADB is immediately available)

As long as adb can see the tablet (use the command adb devices to find out first if you want)

Comment

The biggest challenge is getting the drivers installed properly on your PC.

Yes, the switch button (or reboot to flash) button, depending on which flash tool you are running will reboot your tablet to flash mode.

The screen will go black and the flash tool will show the device in loader mode.
                                Randy
                                Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
                                Read my BIO Here
                                Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                                Donate here

Comment

Working...
                                X