Why Android struggles in the mainstream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the past couple of years I have been attracted to Android devices due to Android's ability to adapt across so many hardware platforms. The first tablets I encountered were the Archos 7 and 70it. These devices were my first Android learning tools. I was, and still am frustrated that nobody has widely customized them, or I would still be using them today (yes, there is Bull available, but I have never taken the time to sit down and do such a lengthy procedure to flash it). I decided to move up to a larger screen, anyway because my eye sight isn't what it used to be.

Then I discovered the Arnova line of products and bought the 10g2. The day it arrived back in December (I think, since the purchase was a Christmas present to myself), I found Freaktab.Com and within he first hour I had flashed Finless Bob's first custom ROM. It was that simple and quick to take a stock device and improve upon its performance and functionality immediately. Out of the box, I wasn't impressed, but with the Finless ROM, I switched from an exclusive pc user to an almost exclusive Android user overnight.

From that point, my G2 became my security blanket, and I was almost obsessed (almost?) with flashing every update Bob released, and commenting on the results. With the Finless 2.1a or 2.2 Pro ROM, I would still consider the 10G2 a relevant product.

I guess due to brand loyalty, and the fact that I didn't know the RK3066 processor even existed, when the 10bG3 came out, I wanted to be the first at freaktab.Com to have one. Snakekiller beat me to it. When it arrived, I wasn't impressed with it much. You can read the long list of issues we had to overcome.. Bottom line, Arnova released an incomplete firmware in order to rush out a product. It took from June until now to come up with a ROM that really kicks ass, thanks to Snakekiller and Bob.

Ok, enough with the background stuff...(before the intervention team arrives to take me away) My point here is that I'm afraid that makers of these Android products are making some really decent hardware, but they aren't putting much time into OS development. That is good in the sense that it makes their products more affordable for us. The 200-300 price range is very attractive, and we all like that. The problem is that the manufacturers do everything possible to make it difficult for those making custom ROM'S by not releasing kernel updates or source codes until their products are off production, if ever. Why do they make it so difficult? What is the up side to this way of doing business. Perhaps they aren't structured for support and development except for quick and easy release... Just get the damn things out the door.

The mainstream consumers aren't interested in signing on to sites like this to even explore ways to improve their products. They just want products that work out of the box. I feel sorry for them, because they are the ones having to pay three times as much for big brand names who charge for all the development/support they put into their products. And really, their products can't hold a candle to the bells and whistles we can put into the cheaper devices. These cheaper tablets aren't attracting the mainstream because they aren't reliable products without some sometimes major modifications.

Makers of the products we buy here in the freaktab.com world are missing the boat here. They need to embrace the DEV community and learn from our discoveries. That's what open source is all about. Instead, they consider us THE ENEMY. Instead, they make us keep guessing what kernels are appearing across the world depending on which assembly run is being released this week. Their whole business model is designed to be counterproductive to it's customers.

If problems are discovered and fixed by us, they should take note and apply those fixes in their next release. If we find issues that can't be resolved without a new kernel, they should be happy to help. We are only trying to improve their products. It isn't like we are trying to do something illegal with their products, we are only trying to make them more usable.

The first manufacturer to discover the benefits of this new business model can ultimately bring the mainstream into their customer base and prove once and for all that Android is superior. Oh yeah, and make a lot more money, too.

Now that I've solved the world's problems today, back to trying to decide which RK3066 tablet to buy.........

Randy
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

impressive sir,
    freaktab art developer if you like my work please buy me a pepsi

Comment

Re: Why Android struggles in the mainstream

Thanks!

Just an update, I recently got a yuandao n101-1.

It kind of reminds me of what my G3 was like at first. Bob's 1.7 ROM is great, but there's still a some tweaking to do. No Jelly Bean yet.

Sent from my N101-FreakTab using Tapatalk 2
      Randy
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Previously I felt exactly like you did. It seemed Android devices had fairly decent hardware, but the OS was never optimized for the hardware. This was probably just a way to cut corners. Take the Next book for example. At $100 it ran slow, and it felt like the OS belonged to a completely device. Then Bob built a few Roms for it, and while it still isn't a great device, it now runs a hell of a lot better than a $100 tablet should.

Well times have changed. Asus has taken the new Jellybean 4.01 OS and carefully matched it with hardware so both would compliment each other. The result is the Nexus 7. I just bought the 16GB for $250. In my opinion, it is the smoothest and most detailed Android to date.

Thankfully, android has a great community of open source developers who can customize Roms. That's one of the fun parts of working with android. However with the Nexus I think more people who. aren't techie will start buying Android tablets. The Nexus 7 destroys the Kindle and the Nook...and has pretty much set the bar for the 7''tablet. If Apple plans on bringing out a 7'', they have their work cut out.

Comment

The Nexus 7 does look nice but I wouldn't want to be without an SD card...

I am tempted by some of the RK3066 tabs but there are so many and a lot seem to come direct from China and I'd rather play safe and buy a UK sourced machine.
          Randy - did you come to a conclusion about the 'best' one...?

Comment

Well, I ended up buying the yuandao n101, but I was tempted to get the Cube 10.1" tab. I lucked out and received the original N101 second batch, which seems to be the most reliable.

Randy
            Randy
            Read my BIO Here
            Donate here

Comment

Working...
            X