Win 8 Tablet as HTPC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win 8 Tablet as HTPC ?

Has anyone used a Win 8 tablet with HDMI out to a tv, power in and USB out to wireless kb/mouse for a HTPC?

I'm thinking this would be a cool solution for home, and then on-the-go, too.

Anyone have experience or recommendations?

Originally posted by poncho524 View Post
    Has anyone used a Win 8 tablet with HDMI out to a tv, power in and USB out to wireless kb/mouse for a HTPC?

I'm thinking this would be a cool solution for home, and then on-the-go, too.

Anyone have experience or recommendations?
    I recently received the Winbook TW700 a $59 7 inch tablet from Micro Center! It has micro hdmi out a ful 3.0 USB port and a micro usb port on it, it runs windows 8.1 with Bing and can easily be used as a HTPC! One problem is the space on the internal drive, it uses WIMBOOT so you cannot delete the recovery partition. Also microsoft disabled saving apps to SD for some stupid reason, but i am confident this will change very soon...

Windows 8.1 takes up a lot of space on the internal drive, so you are left with about 3 gigs of the promised 16 gigs! But if you are just using it to install normal programs on it, you can use a fast class 10 SD card to install your programs!!!

The tablet is very awesome because you can install normal programs to SD, i hardly use any of the apps anyways because the store is not that interesting compared to Google Play. You can install steam to stream games from your PC to your big screen, it just works flawlessly (with a stead home network connection).

The thing only has 1 gig of ram but it is really fast and works great, browsing is fast and responsive and everything just runs great.

Kodi runs without a hitch and it is absolutely suited as a HTPC + you cannot beat the specs the price... The build quality is awesome the camera sucks (never use camera's on tablet myself).

(Store pickup only)

Here's a review:

You could also try the slightly more expensive options TW801 for $119 dollars, has more ram and more storage on it... (Otherwise specs are equal!)

Comment

Working...
    X