Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some ROM'ers

Hello all, are you a ROM cooker?
    If so, we have setup all kinds of things here on FreakTab to support ROM cookers!

So before I explain what we have setup, let me just state what a ROM cooker is in my opinion. It's not just a person that has learned to take apart a ROM and rebuild it. That’s really the first step. Nor is it someone that when they have that knowledge takes apart a ROM, puts their name on it ALONE, and calls it their ROM.

A real ROM cooker is one that works with others and adds "value" to a ROM. Be it someone else’s ROM's or stock! We are looking for folks that are willing to work on stuff to improve a tablets capabilities and features.

Prerequisites to join:
    1) You have to have Linux of some kind installed and have a basic understanding of how to use linux.
    2) You have to at least have knowledge and capability of how to take apart a ROM and build a new ROM. Rule #3 can over ride this however.
    3) Prereq #2 can be over ruled if you have good linux experience and know Android OS well. Especially if you are good with Kernel's. I can teach you ROM making but we also need good linux people with good skills in this area!
    4) You have to have the time We don't want to see folks join then not see participation or you disappear for weeks. We want people to discuss, have fun, learn, etc. Not just join for the "prestige" factor.
    5) The above prereq's can be over ruled IF you are a committed person, not joining just to take, and want to contribute. We will decide based on your request to join and possible interview.

So with that said, are you a ROM cooker? Want to join the team here?

So here is what we have setup to support real ROM cookers:

1) You get your own ROM cookers forum for your ROMs! This gives you the benefit of not having to upload on file sharing places that SPAM people, pop-ups, BS timers, etc! You get a FTP upload account and can host your ROMs here. The added benefit is that you control your releases and people always know they can come here and get your latest ROM.

2) We have a private forum setup for only ROM cookers! I have to say when I first started learning, all the posts on other forums were totally polluted by non-cookers with asks about "will this work on my tablet" and simple posts like that. It was hard to read or learn anything on these forums! Our private forum is here for ROM cookers to freely discuss mods, ROMs, changes, testing by people that know what they are doing, etc! So it is very productive for not only new learning about cooking, but also getting real feedback without a bunch of posts making it hard to make progress.

So with that said, want to join?

Post here your application, or if you want to be private about it, PM Damo, Will James, or myself. We will discuss with you further about it and go from there.

Hope to see some great ROM cookers join the team!

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

I'd like to become a rom cooker.

I have not built my own rom yet, I know how to mount the system.img, assuming you can add/remove packages to customize it?

I'm currently using Ubuntu and Mint, but I started on Gentoo to avoid rpm dependency hell back in the day, so I have compiled a kernel before. I'm also a software developer by profession and I've contributed to some open source projects in the past.

I have a Polaroid P700 and droid 2 global.

Comment

Sign me up. Should have a ROM available soon for the cube u30gt-h. W and possibly mini to follow though I won't be able to test these.

Brian
      900Supersport

900supersports FreakTab rkROMkitchen

900supersports guide to working-RK-ROMs

Under Construction 900supersports guide to working MediaTek ROMS

Struggling for time at the moment, but will try and drop by when I can.

If you would like to support my ROM development then please visit my Google site donate page where you can make a paypal donation

freaktab developer

Proof that you're never to old to learn. Sometimes too old to remember though.

Comment

900, we are working on it! Thanks for joining the TEAM.... give us a day to get you setup. Will James the admin is a busy guy

Bob
        "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
        "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
        "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Sounds good.
          900Supersport

900supersports FreakTab rkROMkitchen

900supersports guide to working-RK-ROMs

Under Construction 900supersports guide to working MediaTek ROMS

Struggling for time at the moment, but will try and drop by when I can.

If you would like to support my ROM development then please visit my Google site donate page where you can make a paypal donation

freaktab developer

Proof that you're never to old to learn. Sometimes too old to remember though.

Comment

May I Join ?

Hy. I have a Ampe A10/Sanei N10 and I already coocked my own 4.0.4 ROM. I haven´t made a release because is still waiting a thing ... 10 points touch from the 4.0.3 ROM ... that I am still looking...
            I shall try to port the Android 4.1 from ONDA VI40 Elite as it´s the same board ... though I haven´t seen bluetooth support ...
            I don´t wanna use Cyanogen because I want the 2 cameras and bluetooth working
            I have a Ubuntu 12.04 x64 machine that can help.
            I am a newbie in Android but I learn very fast and what´s most important is that I like this type of projects.
            I have 2 to 4 hours to spend in one day ... so ... you decide
            Last edited by realshyfox; 09-25-2012, 23:17.

Comment

Working...
            X