My next Tablet, or THE Tablet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My next Tablet, or THE Tablet?

I'm in the market,and am really not sure which way to go. Is it the right time yet? AT&T just released a water resistant model, which since I'm doing alot of boating, thats important, but not a deal breaker. Especially with all the waterproof cases available.
    What do you guys think? What would you buy?

Originally posted by WJackson View Post
    I'm in the market,and am really not sure which way to go. Is it the right time yet? AT&T just released a water resistant model, which since I'm doing alot of boating, thats important, but not a deal breaker. Especially with all the waterproof cases available.
    What do you guys think? What would you buy?
    I don't have an answer for you, but I have a somewhat similar question :-)

I have an Arnova 10 G2 and enjoy it -- I really like the rockchip toolchain too, so I'd like to stick with it. My only real issues are the screen (bad viewing angles -- gives me a headache sometimes), and the camera (it's just not good quality -- WAY too grainy). Other than that, it's snappy and does most things well.

Does anyone know of any rockchip based tablet that is the same or better in terms of speed, but has an improved screen and camera?

thanks,
    -Neill.

Comment

Originally posted by neillmchi View Post
      I don't have an answer for you, but I have a somewhat similar question :-)

I have an Arnova 10 G2 and enjoy it -- I really like the rockchip toolchain too, so I'd like to stick with it. My only real issues are the screen (bad viewing angles -- gives me a headache sometimes), and the camera (it's just not good quality -- WAY too grainy). Other than that, it's snappy and does most things well.

Does anyone know of any rockchip based tablet that is the same or better in terms of speed, but has an improved screen and camera?

thanks,
      -Neill.
      I have a Cube u9gt2 and the screen is superb, IPs the same as the iPad2 viewing angles are great and it comes with Android Ics! It is rockchip same as the Arnova with the added bonus of 1gb of ram

It has a front and back camera but only 2megapixel so the camera won't be the sharpest unfortunately, it seems cameras are not the best on any tablet to be honest but apart from that it is excellent. Check out the cube forum.

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk
      Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
      <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
      <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
      <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
      https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
      </form>

Comment

Originally posted by Damo View Post
        I have a Cube u9gt2 and the screen is superb, IPs the same as the iPad2 viewing angles are great and it comes with Android Ics! It is rockchip same as the Arnova with the added bonus of 1gb of ram

It has a front and back camera but only 2megapixel so the camera won't be the sharpest unfortunately, it seems cameras are not the best on any tablet to be honest but apart from that it is excellent. Check out the cube forum.

Wow, cool, will definitely check it out -- thanks! It might be the winner :-)

-Neill.

Comment

I've also got the Arnova G2 10 and am really pleased with it, before especially with the finless bob 1.5 rom. Although I hadn't heard of the cube model or may well have gone with that - although the Arnova's widescreen display does work really well for watching movies and tv programs on the train journey to work.

I must also say I had it running for 9 hours at my second job today playing music at 1 or 2 below maximum volume over the loudspeaker - its more than lsoud enough that I don't need external speakers and I still have 75% battery life left

Do you use a main computer and are looking for a tablet as mobile Internet and email, or as your main device? I wasn't looking for a super powered tablet as I have the main pc for gaming etc.... And a 3DS for gaming on the go (bit of a pokemon fan I'm afraid), so my main consideration was large screen and Google integration for calendar and email, films and music were a bonus

If your looking for a main device which will be your main online experience then the more powerful the better, and and the cube looks to be an incredible device for the next step up power wise

Regards

Alex / Nighthaunt

Sent from my AN10G2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by nighthaunt View Post
            Do you use a main computer and are looking for a tablet as mobile Internet and email, or as your main device? I wasn't looking for a super powered tablet as I have the main pc for gaming etc.... And a 3DS for gaming on the go (bit of a pokemon fan I'm afraid), so my main consideration was large screen and Google integration for calendar and email, films and music were a bonus

If your looking for a main device which will be your main online experience then the more powerful the better, and and the cube looks to be an incredible device for the next step up power wise
            Thanks for the info, I also enjoy the long battery life of the Arnova 10 G2! For myself, I'm actually most interested in development and playing around with the device. I guess I'm a bit of a tech geek and this hardware caught my interest (thus the request to stick with rockchip for now) :-)

While not working on that though, I appreciate many aspects (such as the google integration), watching videos, and listening to music though. Games are always fun too -- I like the tower defense ones and find they play well on the Arnova. This device is actually really great except for the camera and screen issues I've found.

Comment

Originally posted by Damo View Post

You were right about the screen, it's great! ICS is a nice touch too. I ended up ordering a refurbed one shortly after your recommended it (for $189 off amazon!), and am eager to look into playing around with it as I have time. I've got the stock rom and have opened it up, and it differs from the Arnova 10 G2 in that there's no kernel.img, so I'll have to look into that structure a bit more.

Camera looks much better too, but I had a strange skype issue that I'll have to look into more. The image sent to the person I was talking to consistently had lots of purple lines across it -- maybe it's a version thing similar to the Arnova 10 G2? Will hopefully find out soon enough. Thanks again for the recommendation, should be fun to play with!

Comment

Originally posted by neillmchi View Post
                You were right about the screen, it's great! ICS is a nice touch too. I ended up ordering a refurbed one shortly after your recommended it (for $189 off amazon!), and am eager to look into playing around with it as I have time. I've got the stock rom and have opened it up, and it differs from the Arnova 10 G2 in that there's no kernel.img, so I'll have to look into that structure a bit more.

Camera looks much better too, but I had a strange skype issue that I'll have to look into more. The image sent to the person I was talking to consistently had lots of purple lines across it -- maybe it's a version thing similar to the Arnova 10 G2? Will hopefully find out soon enough. Thanks again for the recommendation, should be fun to play with!
                Glad you like it

Try this Skype it is suppose to be Ics compatible, I haven't tried it yet though

http://www.mediafire.com/?961io62humycm1i

And the firmware use this it is the best one I have found from Wackym V1.08

http://www.mediafire.com/?aphsztmezdeo7w8

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
                Last edited by Damo; 04-13-2012, 07:46.
                Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
                <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
                <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
                <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
                https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
                </form>

Comment

Working...
                X