Please help, just bought a 3000$ dollar TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help, just bought a 3000$ dollar TV

Hi peeps. So I bought a 3000$ 4K TV (Samsung 65 inch JS9000) paired with a 7.2 channel Onkyo 646 receiver, and sweet Pioneer speakers, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth buying an android box, or go with the Roku 4.

All I want is a more convenient way to stream MKV's or whatever videos I download from the interwebs to the TV, and maybe a browser with flash support would be nice too.

I have never used a Roku before, but the 4K capabilities also seem enticing, because the little 4K content from YT or Netflix is orgasmic to watch
    .................................................. ......................

I bought a Minix X5 when it launched, and I liked rooting it, adding flash support somehow to it, installing apps, trying to figure out MXBC/Kodi, and DLNA (too lazy to figure out DLNA well), but that box is way too old to use on such expensive 65 inch TV.

.................................................. .......................
    Out of the box, I can cast MKV's/MP4's to the TV connected in the same WiFi network (very strong 50Mbps broadband connection), but many MKV's/MP4's won't play dues to either the codecs used for its video and audio channels, or even just because the subtitle format used inside the container, and not the container itself... and maybe more factors I'm too lazy to figure out.

I don't wish to transcode all of my media into acceptable formats, because that would take too long, so I'm looking for the laziest way out of that.

.................................................. ........................

Do you guys recommend the best android box right now? (which one?), or maybe use Plex with the Roku 4 (kinda don't want to pay for Plex though )
    Is it worth investing in a NAS, or figure out DLNA more with local software from my PC?

What should I do?

Thanks for any advise guys!!!

Nvidia shield
    Prahjister ****MK808(nonB)****MK808B V5****MK808B Plus****UBOX R89**** CX919****MK808B Pro****Nexbox N9****Eny Em95****Matricon Q2****Tanix TX5 Pro****

Comment

Amazon Fire TV 2 new model I think does most streaming, Plex is good as is the Nvidia Shield.
      Nas will be needed if you are going to hoard but with streaming costs down of late may not need.
      What ever you do something a little better will always be around the corner.
      treboR
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

You are so right Trebor, lol. I learned to always wait for the end of november here in the US though... all the Samsung 4K above 3,000 dropped 1,000 in price, so I feel sorry for the people that bought these tv's just before the November price drops

Anyways, I think I'm going for the Nvidia Shield. I heard about it, but didn't mind it much. Now that I see it supports 4K, and rooting android, it seems the choice for me since I can stream all MKv's through Kodi I guess? and also get a full browser, and possibly add an old flash player APK to add support to Chrome, or Dolphin maybe (forgot how to do it).

I wonder if I can just buy the regular Nvidia Shield android TV for 199$ and 16G room, and just add one of the SSD's hard drives inside so I don't pay the extra 100$ just for that cheap 500G standard HDD?

Comment

Yep all good
          Amazon have them cheap with a bundle at the moment with a free remote
          Go to the shield then scroll down a bit. look for special offer or something like that
          Even SSD are cheap so its a good time to buy new toys...
          Just do it and stop procrastinating
          Cheers
          treboR
          Please consider
          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Amazon had a great promotion on the Shield TV a few days ago - $175 including free remote, I'm not sure if it's still available - need to check with them - may only reflect when checking out. The Fire TV will also be selling for $75 on Black Friday.

There appear to be a number of overheating/fan problems with the current Roku 4 so it might be advisable to wait until these have been eliminated. Here are a few pics of a Roku 4 where the plastic case has started *melting*!

Comment

Some good advice. Best box out there hands down now if Nvidia would release hardware drivers so they can be ported to custom rom I know driod mode would be happy to fix the controllers.
              Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Whoa, some nice info there Lurker!!! I started reading more, and the Shield also seems to have some minor issues like the fan being a little too noisy, but I can always fix that by modding it, lol.

I assume most of us in this place love modding, and flashing stuff a little too much, so hi from a fellow flash-a-holic

I read that the current 4K capable Minix doesn't really do 4K well. Shame, I had big hopes for that company...

Comment

Also Nvidia Shield at Gamespot for $150 this coming weekend and the free remote thing
                  Cheers
                  treboR
                  Please consider
                  Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Working...
                  X