No announcement yet.

SDCard question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't implying that it was your ROM, just stating I was also having the problem and I've got a 10G2, whereas you said in post 11 that you didn't have the problem with your 10G2.

Comment

Well I always have a sdcard in so thats why I say I do not have a problem.

The bottom line is Arnova chose to mount some part of internal memory as sdcard when yo do not have one. Anything you put in there is GONE when you put in a physical SDcard.

Other tablets leave the internal one and mount the physical sdcard as /External_sdcard. So they remain apart.
      So if you understand how it works, you work around it.
      Another time, I will look at changing init.rc to make it work like other tablets.

However THERE is a trade off and WHY some tablets do this. Some apps ALWAYS expect to put "data" in /sdcard. They may not know about /external_sdcard! So there are cases where you will never be happy with either implementation as an app you WANT to put data in external_sdcard will never happen and there is nothing you can do about it.

So understand the issue. It is 2 sided.

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I'm new to Tablets and Android but I understand.

I don't know whether this is correct/dangerous/sensible, but...

I think I have a workaround, if you connect a USB, and use a file manager, and connect to the Arnova Drive (not the sd-card one), you'll see several directories including DCIM, Pictures, Music, Video and sdcard (the disappearing folder).

Now if you create a directory in this root folder (not the sdcard one), called something like MyFiles, then you can access any files you put in there from /mnt/storage/MyFiles and if they're pics/music etc. they also get picked up for the media library.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do it like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
          I'm new to Tablets and Android but I understand.

I don't know whether this is correct/dangerous/sensible, but...

I think I have a workaround, if you connect a USB, and use a file manager, and connect to the Arnova Drive (not the sd-card one), you'll see several directories including DCIM, Pictures, Music, Video and sdcard (the disappearing folder).

Now if you create a directory in this root folder (not the sdcard one), called something like MyFiles, then you can access any files you put in there from /mnt/storage/MyFiles and if they're pics/music etc. they also get picked up for the media library.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do it like that?
          You are totally FINE doing that. It will never go away. Only the sd card folder will. That is actually mounted as a partition but looks like a folder to the file manager. Makes sense?

BTW I can show you a COOL TRICK!
          When you open internal memory and then SYSTEM then APK then COMMON. Any APK you put in here when you do a factory rerset, will be installed as part of the start up wizard! Very cool to quickly install APKs after a factory reset. However when you flash a ROM and eraseIDB, that area is gone. But it is a neat way to auto install apps on a factory reset.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
            You are totally FINE doing that. It will never go away. Only the sd card folder will. That is actually mounted as a partition but looks like a folder to the file manager. Makes sense?

BTW I can show you a COOL TRICK!
            When you open internal memory and then SYSTEM then APK then COMMON. Any APK you put in here when you do a factory rerset, will be installed as part of the start up wizard! Very cool to quickly install APKs after a factory reset. However when you flash a ROM and eraseIDB, that area is gone. But it is a neat way to auto install apps on a factory reset.

Bob
            As I said I'm new to tablets/android, so thought best to find out.

Yep, that is cool.

So after a new flash (1.5 should be soon ), if I copied any apk's of progs I wanted to there, then done a factory reset - that would install them all, as though they were installed with the new ROM?

Sorry for being off-topic.

Comment

Correct to some extent. The will be installed in /data/app.

I will explian that more later but you have it correct

Comment

Working...