Increasing battery level reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasing battery level reading

Lots of opinions on battery care. Then I read this.

" Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device's power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated."

I have had instance where a China tab batt went all the way down, and I had concern that it would come back at all.

So does this have merit ...or is it a bad idea? Right now my Pipo M8 Pro maxs out at about 79%, and I would love to find a way to get it charged all the way.

Thanks for any ideas; responses.
    Cube T9; Pipo M8 Pro (on life support); LG gPad

Some of the battery packs come with circuitry that provides protection against either too much power or not enough power, which causes problems with this theory.

I had a Pipo M8 Pro tablet that completely discharged, and after that wouldn't take a charge again. I had to send it back for a new one. So, based on that experience, I may never take a battery down to below 10% ever again.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by BamaPanda View Post

" Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device's power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated."

I have had instance where a China tab batt went all the way down, and I had concern that it would come back at all.

So does this have merit ...or is it a bad idea? Right now my Pipo M8 Pro maxs out at about 79%, and I would love to find a way to get it charged all the way.

The term "digital memory" doesn't really apply here because it is associated with Ni-Cad batteries which tend to "remember" their average charge level and over time do not take a charge above that point. Ni-cad batteries tend to charge and discharge on a "Bell Curve" (think half an AC sine wave). L-ion batteries charge quickly (hence they can get overheated) and discharge more gradually (think 30 degree ramp).

Typically and from a technical point of view, good battery life is related to "how you treat them." All tablets are now L-ion and need to be "formed" when they are new and fresh. This means charge them up to at least 90% the first time. Let it rest (cool down). Charge it again for maybe an hour or two. Let it rest. If you do this, you will eventually reach 100% of charge. Now you can re-charge to 100% at each charging session. However, remember the cardinal rule of L-ion batteries, "try to not let it fall below 50% of charge to often". They do not like to "get real hot". And, that's what happens when you run them way down, then back to full charge in one charging session.

Comment

http://www.theregister.life.uk/2013/04/15/liion_charge_memory_effect/

Looks like new info on li ion batts.
        Cube T9; Pipo M8 Pro (on life support); LG gPad

Comment

Quote from the link article, "Our finding results from a combination of critical investigation and careful observation. The effect is in fact tiny: the relative deviation in voltage is just a few parts per thousand," explains Petr Novak of the Paul Scherrer Institute's Electrochemical Energy Storage Section, who partnered with Toyota Central R&D Labs on the research.

Li-Polymer batteries do have a finite number of full charges before they are worn out, but it typically numbers between 500 and 1000 cycles. Recommendations to only charge to 80% are rooted in the caution to not let them get to hot. Monitor your use and when at all possible recharge when they fall below 30% and everything should be cool, pardon the pun. If they fall into the 10% to 15% range, then recharge to 70% to 80% to keep the heat at bay. Once they cool down, it would be OK to top them off if you feel the need.
          Last edited by geofferyh; 08-05-2013, 22:34. Reason: Information Correction

Comment

I have had instance where a China tab batt went all the way down, and I had concern that it would come back at all. So does this have merit ...or is it a bad idea? Right now my Pipo M8 Pro maxs out at about 79%, and I would love to find a way to get it charged all the way.

Based on theory & experience & results with ni-cad batteries from the start & then Li-ion after that, I share this: Li-ion batteries seem to have a memory effect after several recharges. Major device makers, especially smart phone makers, instruct buyers to make sure they fully charge their phone or device before turning it on the first time. Many buyers tend to turn on and start using their new device after an hour or two on charge and then complain their phone has poor battery life. Many other people complain their device operates increasingly shorter times after using it a few months or only a year.

When laptop makers charged so much money for a new battery pack, it made more sense to buy a new laptop. I rebuilt packs for $10. "Rebuilt" is an inflated word for simple cutting the pack plastic enough to replace the cells inside, which were inexpensive. We also employed tricks to get more life out of battery packs that seemed dead.

Li-ion batteries are much more dangerous for non-experts to mess around or experiment with. They can and do explode, not in the burst open sense major alkaline makers use the word to scare people away from experimenting with trying to recharge alkaline cells. Li-ion batteries explode in the sense of a bomb. In fact, hundreds of cell phones explode each year. If smoke begins to come from your phone or it starts to get hot, toss it away from you. Most cell phone explosions are the result of people trying to save money by getting a non-manufacturer's replacement battery from **** or some other marketplace.

Nonetheless, There is much you can do to greatly reduce or extend the life of your battery and thus the life of your device, since tablet batteries are built-into tablets.

1) Li-ion only have so many charge cycles. A cycle is depletion below about 20% (where your device shuts itself off) and full recharge. My device batteries consistently outlast the usefullness of the device. For instance, I've had an HP tablet I use every day for over two years & it stills holds an excellent charge.

2) Fully recharge before you power on the first time. This is to avoid shortened recharge cycles. When a device is used before fully charged, and if the charge life seems significantly shortened afterwards, it can be reversed. Allow the device discharge (while using it) to automatic shutdown three times in a row and fully recharge it each time.

3) Avoid routinely using your device until it is below 30% before you recharge. Sometimes full discharge happens from normal use. Occassional full discharge is no problem. It is good actually as it will avoid memory effect, where they systems "expects to be recharged at a certain point higher than factory set automatic shut down point.

4) when doing something that seriously draws power such as video playback, and it is not inconvenient to do so, run the tablet plugged into A/C.

5) Reduce battery use when possible. Shut down the display and the radios (GPS, Wifi, etc) when not in use. Avoid unused apps running in the background. Use a dimmer screen when you do not need brighter settings.

Follow this strategy and I think you will find your device will outlast its usefulness not its battery.

Note -- Provided you tried nothing but just allowed the battery to discharge to the point where the tablet should have shut itself off, what you describe is a defect, not anything unwise you did.
            Last edited by Bruisedquasar012; 08-05-2013, 16:47.

Comment

Thanks a lot!!!! That is really good information.
              Randy
              Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
              Read my BIO Here
              Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
              Donate here

Comment

FYI, Tablets use Li-poly or Lipo batteries. The chemistry is a little different than Li-on batteries.

Bob
                "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I will recommended to choose branded tablets always . Problems occur when we choose Chinese brand.
                  iPad tutorial

Comment

Working...
                  X