Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK3588 8K Arm Cortex-A76/A55 SoC, Rockchip Roadmap to 2020

RK3588 8K Arm Cortex-A76/A55 SoC, Rockchip Roadmap to 2020

Rockchip had their annual event yesterday offering a view of past achievements, as well as a glimpse into the future with new products announcements. The company is ready to go to the next level with their Rockchip RK3588 featuring Cortex-A76 and Cortex-A55 cores, 8K video decoding support, 4K user interface support, an NPU 2.0 (Neural Processing Unit) manufactured using an 8nm LP process.

RK3588

The processor should have eight cores in a 4+4 dynamIQ configuration according to a tip from ?coldfish?, and the new 8nm process is expected to increase performance by 20 to 30 percent, while the power consumption will be reduced by 40 percent. Mass production is expected for Q1 2020.

Rockchip Video Encoder DecoderThe company also showed a slide with their video encoder/decoder IP, and Gen3 should be in RK3588 since that?s the only one with an 8K 60 fps decoder using either AVS3 or H.266 (VVC). I?m quite confused with the Gen1 decoder since it shows AV1 implementation too, and as such should be new as well. An 8K 60 fps video encoder is also in the works.

Rockchip RK3530While RK3588 was clearly the highlight of the show, it was not the only worthwhile addition to Rockchip SoC portfolio, as RK3530 quad-core Cortex-A55 processor with a Mali-G52 GPU, 4K HDR, USB 3.0, SATA, and Gigabit Ethernet is planned for Q3 2019.

Other notable announcements included RK2108 Arm Cortex-M4 audio chip, and RV1109 dual core 4K H.264/H.265 camera SoC with NPU 2.0 A.I accelerator which are also planned for the second half of this year.

Rockchip RK2206The company also introduced their first wireless MCU with RK2206 Arm Cortex-M4F microcontroller with 802.11 b/g/n WiFi targeting Internet of Things application and scheduled to sample in Q3 2019.

A few more details and slides can be found in that article in Chinese.

Rockchip had their annual event yesterday offering a view of past achievements, as well as a glimpse into the future with new products announcements. The
    treboR
    Please consider
    Donating to Freaktab

I "Love" those CHINESE

this poor man sold of his own Boxes(at least 3/4 boxes this year were 3 different brand RK3399 !!! incl.2 or 3 AML9xx!!)

this poor man still awaiting strong Chinese Box as well

But "2020" its so far man!

Good luck

Comment

• mo123
      mo123 commented
      Editing a comment
      RK3530 will be released in Jul/Aug if you want to tinker with it until RK3588 arrives.
      It seems RK3588 will be faster than a Nvidia Shield and too strong for a lot of people?
      I wonder what products the Allwinner and Mediatek Chinese will release, lol.

well,July/Aug not so far! worth to wait

Comment

July/Aug is almost over too

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

RK3530 mid-range powerful TV box chip that is suppose to come close to S922X performance for less money was scheduled to start production in September, but schedules can always be pushed back some; we should at least see some testers and more info releasing from the factory and vendors starting next month. Hopefully the top tv box manufactures will have supply ready for Christmas sales. So I can ask Santa to air-drop one.

Comment

More Information ON RK up and coming Bits and Pieces
          From CNXSOFT
          https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/02...essor-roadmap/

Rockchip RK3566, RK3588, RV1109 SoC’s Coming in 2020 based on Rockchip Processor Roadmap

Last year, Rockchip had a presentation in China where they highlighted their processor roadmap for 2020, and we learn about processors such as Rockhip RK3588 Cortex-A76/A55, RK3530 Cortex-A55 SoC’s, and RV1109 camera processor, but we had limited details about the processors at the time.

CNX Software has now received a more detailed roadmap that reveals some of the specifications about the new processors, and some Rockchip products that people may not be aware of such as a 3D structured light module and a 4G module. Rockchip Processor Roadmap 2020 - RK3566, RK3588, RV1109
          Rockchip RK3566

Rockchip RK3530 is not shown in the roadmap, but there’s a similar RK3566 processor, so I assume the company just change the name.

Rockchip RK3566 specifications:
          • CPU – Quad-core Arm Cortex-A55 @ 1.8GHz
          • GPU – Arm Mali-G52 2EE
          • NPU – 0.5 TOPS with support for INT8/ INT16
          • Multi-Media
            • 8M ISP 2.0 with 3F HDR(Line-based/Frame-based/DCG)
            • Support MIPI-CSI2,4-lane
            • 1080p60 H.265, H.264 encoding
            • 4K H.264/H.265/VP9 60fps video decoder
            • DVP interface with BT.656/BT.1120
          • Memory – 32-bit DDR3L/LPDDR3/DDR4/LPDDR4/LPDDR4X
          • Storage – eMMC 4.51, NAND Flash, SFC NOR flash, SATA 3.0, SD card via SDIO
          • Display
            • Support Dual Display
            • MIPI-DSI/RGB interface
            • LVDS/eDP/DP
            • HDMI 2.0
          • Audio – 2x 8-ch I2S, 2x 2-ch I2S, PDM, TDM, SPDIF
          • Networking – 2x RGMII interfaces (Gigabit Ethernet) with TSO (TCP segmentation offload ) network acceleration
          • USB – USB 2.0 OTG and USB 2.0 host; USB3.0 HOST
          • Other peripherals
            • PCIe
            • 3x SDIO 3.0 interface for Wi-Fi and SD card
            • 6x I2C, 10x UART, 4x SPI, 8x PWM, 2xCAN interface

The processor targets Internet of Things applications and should be available in Q2 2020. Rockchip RV1109

Rockchip RV1109 was unveiled last April, and we have some extra information about the processor:
          • CPU – Dual-core Arm Cortex-A7 @ 1.0GHz
          • NPU – 1.0TOPS with support for INT8/ INT16
          • Memory – 32-bit DDR3/DDR3L/LPDDR2/LPDDR3/DDR4/LPDDR4
          • Storage – eMMC 4.51, Serial NOR Flash with fast booting support, SD card via SDIO interface
          • Display – MIPI-DSI/RGB interface up to 1080p @ 60 FPS
          • Audio – 8-ch I2S with TDM/PCM, 2-ch I2S
          • Multi-Media
            • 13M ISP 2.0 with 3F HDR(Line-based/Frame-based/DCG)
            • 2xMIPI CSI, LVDS, sub-LVDS
            • 4K H.264/H.265 video encoder: 3840 x 2160 @ 30 fps + 720p @ 30 fps encoding
            • 4K H.264/H.265 30fps video decoder
            • 3840 x 2160 @ 30 fps encoding + 3840 x 2160 @ 30 fps decoding support
            • DVP interface with BT.656/BT.1120
          • Networking – RGMII interface with TSO network acceleration
          • USB – USB 2.0 OTG and USB 2.0 host
          • Other Peripherals
            • Dual SDIO 3.0 interface for Wi-Fi and SD card
            • I2C/UART/SPI interface
          • Process/Package – 14nm FinFET, FCCSP 0.65

Rockchip RV1109 should already be available (launch in Q4 2019), and found in vision/AI applications such as IP cameras. Rockchip RK3588

The new roadmap document does no provide much more info about RK3588, but the high-end processor from the company that was initially expected in Q1 2020 has apparently been delayed to Q3/Q4 2020.

Key features for RK3588:
          • CPU – 4x Cortex-A76 and 4x Cortex-A55 cores in dynamIQ configuration
          • GPU – Arm “Natt” GPU
          • NPU 2.0 (Neural Processing Unit)
          • Multimedia – 8K video decoding support, 4K encoding support
          • Display – 4K video output, dual-display support
          • Processor – 8nm LP

Natt is a goddess from Norse mythology, so it must be a new unannounced architecture for Arm Mali GPU. The last unknown Arm GPU architecture is Valhall found in Mali-G77 for example. Support for Automotive & Industrial Temperature Ranges

Rockchip processors also support wider temperature range from the usual consumer temperature range, to the extended “commercial grade” found in “K” variants such as RK3399K, and now there are some processors supporting automotive/industrial temperature range (-40 to 85°C) as well.

Rockchip Temperature Range
          Some of the names are fairly confusing, as we were told PX processors are for automotive (infotainment), but none of their automotive-grade processors are PX processors.

RK3358M/J processor was launched in 2019 for IoT and automotive applications and comes with four Arm Cortex-A35 cores, and an Arm Mali-G31MP2 GPU. Rockchip Modules

There are also a bunch of modules but I’m not convinced they are based on Rockchip IP, as for the 4G module at least, they probably went with either a Qualcomm, UNISOC or MediaTek solution.

Rockchip RM310 4G module supports download rate of up to 100 Mbps and upload rates of up 50 Mbps. Rockchip RM310 4G Module
          Rockchip RMSL201 3D structured light module should be designed for computer vision applications for face recognition, robotics, or virtual reality applications.Rockchip RMSL201 3D structured light
          We highlighted some of the most interesting details in this post, but you may find more details in the roadmap (PDF).
          CNXSOFT
          https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/02...essor-roadmap/

treboR
          Please consider
          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Working...
          X