Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TEMPORARY ROOT / UNROOT with ROOT SWITCH or KINGROOT ROOT SWITCH. Are they safe to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TEMPORARY ROOT / UNROOT with ROOT SWITCH or KINGROOT ROOT SWITCH. Are they safe to use?

Background. In principle I do not need rooting, with one exception. TITANIUM BACKUP. I use an Android TV box (Rikomagic MK39 with Android 7) instead of a PC and being able to restore quickly my apps with all or at least almost all settings is very usefull to me. My box came rooted and as security is very important to me I unrooted my box.
    I feel really secure with this box, even more secure as with any Windows Pc I had before. The response times are fantastic and after 2 years it has not slowed down as it is usually the case with Windows PC's. In order to have a backup machine (=box), I immediately bought a second Rikomagic MK39 TV box and before unrooting the first one, I had taken a Titanuim Backup which allowed me to easily install the 2nd machine (1 hour only).
    So now I have 1 unrooted machine (=box) (the master machine) and 1 rooted machine (the backup machine). Every time I install new apps to the master machine or make changes to settings, I also do it on the backup box. Obviously quite a few times I forgot to do it and maintaining 2 machines is quite some work. My data is always stored on a NAS, so that is not an issue.
    What I would like to do is only maintain 1 machine/box which has no root access, and still be able to do Titanium Backups on regular bases. There is an app out there called ROOT SWITCH or ROOT SWITCHER which I tested for virus safety and seems OK. This app allows me to activate or deactivate root in a same or similar way as some TV boxes like A95X MAX or the VORKE Z6 do have this option. This way I can open ROOT for doing my Titanium Backup and close ROOT immediately afterwards for restoring unroot security. Does any one know if working this way is secure and reliable, if it is as safe as standard UNROOTING, other considerations.......welcome.
    Another way would be to try installing KINGROOT and if that works, KINGROOT has a button to activate and deactivate ROOT. If that would work, would that be a better and more secure way to Temporary root and unroot the machine so I can do a Titanium Backup in between.
    If one of both methods are OK and safe (as safe as proper unrooting), then with a Titanium Backup which I would do on a regular bases, I could at any moment quickly restore all my apps with the settings onto my backup machine.
    Thank you in advance guys for your comments

Hi ,

you need Magisk on your Box , not sure if it works with RK3399 , best Solution ,

greetings / gefattern

Comment

Magisk does not work on RK3399. To be short let me put the question in another way. Box that come with temporary root switches, are they safe?

Comment

Hi ,

are you sure ??? i think it has more to do with the
        Version of FW , but i am no Pro ,

greetings / gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post
          Hi ,

you need Magisk on your Box , not sure if it works with RK3399 , best Solution ,

greetings / gefattern
          +1

Comment

SuperSU requires boot image support, needs modified boot image

Comment

unfortunately unless I am wrong somewhere or have missed something out, none of the solutions proposed so far solves my problem. Let me explain my problem again.
              I have a Rikomagic MK39 Tv box (with Rockchip RK3399 process board) which works very well. Is comes pre-rooted, but has not any app installed to control root access. To have control of what happens in root access, I have therefore checked out 2 possible solutions.
              1) install MAGISK. This solution would be the best, but unfortunately there is no TWRP version for my machine (MK39 and could not find either any other other TWRP version for any RK3399 board. Actually there are 2 versions for the H96MAX machine but they do not work, it is impossible to load TWRP). For CWM same thing. As far as I know those are the 2 recovery tools available to install (flash) any ZIP file. Therefore unless I miss something out somewhere, it is impossible to install MAGISK.
              2) install SUPERSU. At end of installation it proposes to update binaries and reboot. If I do so, the machine goes into boot loop. So I reinstalled the IMG and started all over this time refusing to update the binaries. Then SUPERSU seems to work without any problem and access rights are requested and managed properly as I define them.
              QUESTIONS:
              a) can I continue to use SUPERSU without updating the binaries? Is there any risk with this?
              b) is there a way of updating the binaries if one does not have a TWRP or CWM version for my machine?

Thanks for your help, guys

Comment

Working...
              X