HELP: Android box for Kodi/Emby server use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP: Android box for Kodi/Emby server use

I know the "what's the best android box to buy" topic has been rehashed to death, and people always have different preferences. This is a very specific use-case, so thought I'd ask again, particularly for those who might be running a similar set up.

I run an Emby server on a NAS and need client devices that will use a Kodi front-end (with the Kodi Emby addon). This is the primary purpose for the box. Netflix HD is a plus but not a deal breaker

I already have multiple clients set up and the best is obviously the Nvidia Shield which works beautifully, but also priced the highest. I also use the Minix Neo U1, a good workhorse that's also been fairly reliable. I've tried some other boxes like the Zidoo H6 Pro (running Allwinner H6) and the cheap MX boxes, but those were either completely unusable or couldn't play videos smoothly

With all these new boxes coming out, wanted to get input if there's something that could work / fit my use-case

I wanted to try the S912 boxes, starting with the Mecool ones. Received the Mecool M8S Plus L, but am quickly finding out that wifi for this device is extremely horrible. Overall interface feels slow for an octacore CPU (I'm comparing with the Minix U1 running on the S905), and when I set up Kodi/Emby, I couldn't even play videos from an Emby server that was local! Kodi kept returning an error saying source was too slow. WIFI signal is strong (in the launcher icon), haven't done a speed test, but in any case, this looks like another paperweight for me. Good thing it was cheap enough to throw away

I have the Mecool M8S Pro L arriving, and I'm not sure if it's going to be any better, based on the M8S Plus. Uses the same chip, although this one at least has an RJ45 port, something the M8S Plus lacks. Unfortunately, I can't rely on wired LAN in all locations so still need a reliable box that can use wifi

All that said - happy to hear any suggestions? Happy to buy test units and give feedback here.

TL;DR: Managed to get the Mecool M8S Plus L working but wifi is super slow. M8S Pro L was a bit more useable. Xia0mi Mi Box S was pretty zippy, Android TV interface also looks nice. Bottomline, will likely get 10-15 of these for family/friends to connect to my Emby server, using Kodi 18.4 (with Arctic Zephyr Leia Mod skin) + Kodi for Emby addon

Just wanted to report back that the Xiaomi Mi Box S looks pretty promising - none of the relatively slow wifi issues I saw with the Mecool devices. I confirm the HD Audio passthrough issues with Kodi, but since that's not a problem as these are going to be mostly connected to TVs (I use an Nvidia Shield for the full blown home theater setup that has an AVR and 7.1 speakers), it's not a deal breaker.

Android TV interface looks good, and so far, no issues running Kodi 18.4 on it. Auto change refresh rates also seem to be working

Now hopefully there are some price drops for these things during Black Friday or 11/11 here in Asia, so I can just buy them in bulk. Although $45-50 including shipping is already pretty good

Comment

Working...
    X