Looking to replace a Firestick..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to replace a Firestick..

I bought an Androud 9 tv box on Amazon (Yagala Y1) and it mostly gets me there, but I'm having a hard time finding anything that supports everything I need and on the cheap. The box won't run Disney+. Presumably its lacking Widevine L1 and I know of no way to add it.

I need to run

Kodi
    CBS All Access
    Disney+
    Jellyfin (client)
    Windscribe VPN

I have other means to get Netflix and Prime (Dish Hopper has these).

The Firestick is quickly running out of space at only 8GB and I'm not interested in their Cube even if it has 16GB.

Try Mecool's KM1 or KM3 that are Google certified devices, which are in the $70-$100 price range, not exactly budget. But there are very few choices if you need DRM Widevine Level-1 devices and Android on the Cheap.

If you live in the USA, then the "AirTV Mini" dongle device, is also a Google Certified Device with Netflix/Prime/Disney supported. The device is an Amlogic chipped twin to the FireTV 4k-stick, you just are trading Amazon's FireOS for Google's AndroidTV-OS. The same device will be released shortly (mid 2020) with a TiVo's variant that will have customizations to OS to better separate itself from Google's standard TV-OS.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into this.

Comment

Well.. for DRM
        Xiaomi mi box , nvidia shield TV , Engel en1015k , fire stick 4k , apple TV box come to mind

I read somewhere that the firestick 4k supports Disney plus ( not tested yet )
        and using a Y cable and usb stick you can extended the storage size ( I tried this and it works )

anyway... goodluck

Comment

What Y cable?

I found the KM9Pro on Amazon and saw it supports Disney+ and ordered it..

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
            What Y cable?
            The "Y-Cable" is really a Micro USB "OTG cable" - starts with female Micro-USB to attach to firestick power cable, then attaches to firestick, then Y's to a standard USB-a female port to attach storage or connect to a PC, really useful for dongle type devices.

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post

The "Y-Cable" is really a Micro USB "OTG cable" - starts with female Micro-USB to attach to firestick power cable, then attaches to firestick, then Y's to a standard USB-a female port to attach storage or connect to a PC, really useful for dongle type devices.
              Sounds like it. I had no idea such a thing was even possible.

Comment

yeah..
                just google : fire stick 4k expand storage usb drive

I tested a few things on the y cable :
                Air mouse = works { unbranded ) nice to know, just encase the remote dies (kids)
                Game pad = works ( tronsmart mars, i think its called } played some kodi/emulation
                Usb dac = not working ( tried : dragonfly's and khadas tone )
                usb 3 to msata usbstick 150gb = works ( just for fun, not tested for long periods )

not bad.. for 19euro ( otto.de for eu members)
                Mainly used for Netflix , kodi xenon and smartyoutube tv

Comment

Working...
                X