Best bang/buck Media Streaming Device?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best bang/buck Media Streaming Device?

So, I'm looking to buy a media streaming device in order to watch movies and videos on my TV. I'm completely new to the topic and I'd like to gather some info before buying anything. I'd like to use the tipycal streaming services (e.g. netflix, amazon prime video, etc.) and stream my personal content via a Plex server, being able to use Kodi with plugins etc.
    Now, I have no idea what the best option could be and I have no idea how much I should spend to get a decent device. I just know the classic solutions like the Firestick 4K, Roku, Mi BOX S, but heard controversial reviews about them, some say they're good, some they're not. And the nVidia Shield, which is a bit over what I'd like to spend. For the content I'm going to stream, as of now, nothing more than good 1080p H264, H265 and similar formats. Being able to stream 4k would be nice too tho. No external audio sources such as dolby and similar stuff. Hope you could help me in deciding what to get. If you need any additional info in order to help me out feel free to ask.

Good question..
    I can state that I have no regrets buying amazon stick 4k
    - tested Netflix , Disney plus , crunchyroll , kodi

Alternative , Apple TV and Xiaomi mi tv stick

My advice..
    Look what's offered locally first
    - then see what's deals you can get online
    Perhaps second hand or refusbised

Well... goodluck in you search
    For reviews.. see YouTube for example "eta prime"

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
      Good question..
      I can state that I have no regrets buying amazon stick 4k
      - tested Netflix , Disney plus , crunchyroll , kodi

Alternative , Apple TV and Xiaomi mi tv stick

My advice..
      Look what's offered locally first
      - then see what's deals you can get online
      Perhaps second hand or refusbised

Well... goodluck in you search
      For reviews.. see YouTube for example "eta prime"

I see. Apple TV is defo out of my list, cost a lot and probably is just a closed down system shit because, well, apple. Xiaomi mi tv stick is still not out yet, but I'll wait to see it.
      Regarding your advice, what do you mean by looking what's offered locally? As for the deals, soon there will be Amazon Prime day (maybe) and the firestick will be a lot less, so might be a good option. Are there any other devices you feel to reccomend?

Comment

I agree on the 4K firestick,

I have several boxes and im always amazed at the 4K firestick when i go back to it how fast it is and how well it works.

I dont know if Amazon knows what they are doing when they designed this stick or they just got lucky but for $50. its the best bang for the buck imo

Wish it had more internal memory but it does everything i need it for. I actually have 3 of them !

Comment

Originally posted by BowerR64 View Post
          I agree on the 4K firestick,

I have several boxes and im always amazed at the 4K firestick when i go back to it how fast it is and how well it works.

I dont know if Amazon knows what they are doing when they designed this stick or they just got lucky but for $50. its the best bang for the buck imo

Wish it had more internal memory but it does everything i need it for. I actually have 3 of them !
          Do you think it's better than other products that go for roughtly the same price? I dunno, like the Xiaomi Mi Box S or Ugoos X2 Cube or something else?

Comment

Thats a hard call, the firestick uses the S922 chip i believe which is a fast one but is limited to 8 gigs of memory so that will fill up fast. It also isnt easy to add any more storage to it.

I think ide go with the Ugoos X2 Cube, before the Mi Box S but i dont know if it would be a better bang for the buck over the firestick? ive never tried either of the other boxes

Comment

Thats a hard call, the firestick uses the S922 chip i believe which is a fast one but is limited to 8 gigs of memory so that will fill up fast. It also isnt easy to add any more storage to it.

I think ide go with the Ugoos X2 Cube, before the Mi Box S but i dont know if it would be a better bang for the buck over the firestick? ive never tried either of the other boxes
              Don't you just need an USB OTG to add storage to the Firestick?

Comment

Firestick 4K has a MediaTek CPU that is comparable to Amlogic S905X2 for Performance. The Amlogic S922X-Z is in the Fire TV Cube 2nd Generation, which is more powerful about double the performance, and when they are on sale the FireTV devices are unbeatable for the value they offer per dollar.

Agree, the 4K stick is the best bang for your buck when you need a device that does Netflix and all other Paid-Stresming apps, just I personally hate the Amazon Fire OS.

Comment

WOAH! i thought i read on the Chigz tech chart it had the 922 CPU

What other media boxes use this same Media Tek CPU? or is it the PVR GE3000 GPU?

The firestick is not just fast but it has a really good image

I got all 3 of mine at different times when they were on sale on Amazon for $30.

Comment

WOAH! i thought i read on the Chigz tech chart it had the 922 CPU
                    You must have been looking at the CUBE info to get that mistake.

What other media boxes use this same MediaTek CPU? or is it the PVR GE3000 GPU?
                    CPU and GPU are sold as one, same chip; Mediatek doesn't just specialize in Media Player chips, they make all sorts of various chips and are most known for their budget smartphone CPUs and tablet CPUs. But in the case of the 4k Firestick, Amazon has exclusive Rights to be the only Vendor of that specific Mediatek chip. As for other streaming devices, I think the only recent past device that was for Retail sale with a Mediatek chip was from the Xiaomi brand which had a device that was only available in China. Currently most Mediatek media-player chips are found in Smart TVs aside from ending up in Amazon Firesticks.

The firestick is not just fast but it has a really good image
                    I got all 3 of mine at different times when they were on sale on Amazon for $30.
                    Yes, best time to buy them are when they are on Sale, like Black-Friday sale or Amazon Prime Day sale.

Comment

Yeah i must of looked at the wrong thing, for some reason i thought the Firestick 4K and second Gen Firecube ran the same chip but the CUbe just had more memory. Now that i look again at his charts it does say mediatek.

Well for the price of that stick (when on sale) it doesnt run to bad, and again i must add it looks really good the image quality of the 4K sticks look better then other boxes i have running S912, and both S905X2 and X3

Thanks RiCkLaR_atvX for the info

I agree i dont care for the Fire OS either it does take some trouble to get things loaded on it

Ill have to say though of all the boxes i have there isnt a one perfect box, it seems they all have their plus and minus about them all.

The Nvidia shields are close but there are a few nitpicky issues i have with bot of those units also so there ya go

Comment

Working...
                      X