Question about the limitations of Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the limitations of Android

Please forgive me, but I searched 2 days and with 5 differenst search engines and a multitude of phrases - and I could not find an answer.
    I am a PC / Windows user since IBM DOS 1.0 and Windows 3 but except for sparsly using my Android phone, where I managed to install custom roms and even remove everything Google.
    But my knowledge about android is veiy limited.

I am ttrying to figure out if a cheap Android Box (see my name for model) is capable to run Kodi with a comparable performance as my Beelink mini PC box with a Celeron n3450.
    In Windows multiple Drives on a USB hub is no problem, but when I put the same powered usb hub with 4 2TB drives on the Amlogic S905X3 powered X96 Max+ then all 4 drives show the same content. Only one realy is accessible.
    Trying to connect 2 self powered 3.5" drives in to the 2 USB ports of the box has the same effect. Only one drive is accessible.
    It is no problem to acces a 8Tb drive with 4 partitions. All partitions are there and accessible.

NOW MY QUESTION:
    How many drives can Android handle? I am on Android 9.
    Do I need a special programm or driver to fix the 4 USB drives on a self powered hub problem?

Any help or hint is greatly appreciated.
    Paul

I have not tried what you are asking, but to me the logical thing to do is leave drives connected to Windows PC, with PC connected to home network connect to device over Samba for accessing your content.

If you don't care to use Android or Android apps, and the only purpose is to use your device for a media center that plays your saved content, then the best option is to use the Linux based Software OS named CoreELEC, CE is a minimal Linux OS that is a KODI media center optimized for Amlogic chipped devices. CoreELEC has various tutorials on YouTube and very helpful forum via their offical site https://coreelec.org
    Last edited by RiCkLaR_atvX; 08-11-2020, 17:34.

Comment

Thanks for your quick answer.
      First I keep it like Battle Star Galactica, my Computers are not networked, this includes also that NAS is not an option.
      Every PC has its own not shared storage and my Kodi media centers are normal windows PC and one Beelink windows box with several drives.
      Media centers are only connected to the router if scrapers need to do some updates.

My question was, is Android capable to work with multiple drives or not?
      If not is coreelec or one of their branches capable of working with multiple drives?
      My search if this is a valid option did not find any answers.
      Last edited by x96maxplus; 08-11-2020, 15:02. Reason: typo

Comment

I run seven mixed size HDD's on my GT King. They range from 10TB to 2TB. Five of them in an external docking station and the other two from individual docks plugged into a powered USB 3 hub. There was a time when the five bay dock would only show as one drive but a firmware upgrade solved that prior to my purchase, but it is in the history of the device.

I don't have the same devices as yourself so I can't say exactly what your problem might be.

Comment

Hmm...
          The only thing that comes to mind.. if I read your story
          The user really needs a NAS
          Or Install Android x86 on your Intel pc..
          Then you can have as much Ram/Drives/... as you wish

Anyway..
          Issues connecting big drivers to android tvbox..
          1.If it on a Usb Hub.. the USB speed is shared between devices connected
          2. Thubnail cache.. android and kodi create these..
          a. Using a USB 3toMSATA 150gb full of media created a thubnail cache of 5gb on internal space
          Whille /settings/storage showed lots of freespace ( aka No space left..causing wifi and playback issues )
          3. Apps like video/audio players like to scan for new media... causing slowdows or lockups
          4. on mostly allwinners.. the cache gets filled.. but is not emtyed (/settings/storage/internal/cache emty cache)

As for your issue..
          I used many Harddrives on android devices without issue..
          But partitions on a hardrive can sometimes cause issues like only mounting 1 parttition on that HD
          Try Total commander then add Mount addon or app named Paragon
          -there are more tools to be found on Google marked and on XDA
          But most seek Root access

Goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by x96maxplus View Post
            Thanks for your quick answer.
            ...my Kodi media centers are normal windows PC and one Beelink windows box with several drives.
            Media centers are only connected to the router if scrapers need to do some updates.
            If you are running older Intel PC's with Kodi without a dedicated GPU, then CoreELEC+Amlogic can actually out perform most Intel chips 2017 or older when it comes to playback for SD, HD, and 4k content; the only exception might be 3D content.

If not is coreelec or one of their branches capable of working with multiple drives?
            My search if this is a valid option did not find any answers.
            CoreELEC is so easy to install and run that it doesn't hurt to try it for your given scenario of multiple drives, all you need is an Micro SDcard or USB drive to run the OS from, minimum 8GB, I prefer at least a 32GB that is A1-rated(app rated) if a SDcard or USB that is 3.0 or above.

Comment

The app Mitchell mention:
              http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paragon.tcplugins_ntfs_ro&hl=en_US

Comment

Thanks guys, NO, my Intels are running just fine it is just the 1 day old Android box what is a step below yours Charlie_Boy
                I assume you are still running on Android 9?

So it is possible to run multiple drives without problems.
                Then I will investigate regarding firmware and try other hubs.

Thank you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell4you View Post
                  Hmm...
                  ยดยดยดยด
                  Try Total commander then add Mount addon or app named Paragon
                  -there are more tools to be found on Google marked and on XDA
                  But most seek Root access

Goodluck

I am using Total Commander since it was known as windows commanden and that was last millennium
                  I will check out the add on and thanks for the info RiCkLaR_atvX

Comment

Thanks guys, NO, my Intels are running just fine it is just the 1 day old Android box what is a step below yours Charlie_Boy
                    I assume you are still running on Android 9?

So it is possible to run multiple drives without problems.
                    Then I will investigate regarding firmware and try other hubs.

Thank you so much.
                    The native Android ROM on the GT King is very bad. I have tried multiple alternative ROMS and all of them have had zero issues with recognising all seven drives. I am currently using one by Sasvlad which is based on the native Android 9 ROM which works okay. OpenELEC runs perfectly from an SD card though. That is what I would say is your best option for an easy solution if it is available for your box.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie_Boy View Post

The native Android ROM on the GT King is very bad. I have tried multiple alternative ROMS and all of them have had zero issues with recognising all seven drives. I am currently using one by Sasvlad which is based on the native Android 9 ROM which works okay. OpenELEC runs perfectly from an SD card though. That is what I would say is your best option for an easy solution if it is available for your box.
                      There is a version of OpenELEC available for your box I've just looked. Easy to install, just use Burn Card Maker to install the image onto an SD card. The installation method for your box from there may vary from mine but mine just involved booting while holding in the reset button with the SD card in its slot. There will probably be a how to video on YouTube.

An alternative Android ROM for your box may also be an answer for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie_Boy View Post
                        ...An alternative Android ROM for your box may also be an answer for you.
                        Maybe, SlimBOX v7 [MEGA.nz]

Comment

@Charlie_Boy

The native Android ROM on the GT King is very bad.
                          What do you mean by that? did things not work, like multiple drives or what was giving you trouble?

OpenELEC runs perfectly from an SD card though. That is what I would say is your best option for an easy solution if it is available for your box.

do you mean this here? CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.2.4.1-Generic.img.gz
                          I have the feeling there are quite a few diferent ...elecs out there.
                          quite a bit overwhelming.

Comment

The box is getting quite hot in Kodi just sitting there in the main menu, not drawing any power for external hdd. I got over 80 degree C in a 27 C environment.
                            Run a OTA firmware update and now I can see 2 drives instead one. Jay
                            Paragon wanted to have money after a trial mount, so I went a different path.

Tried it via micro SD and CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.2.4.1-Generic.img.gz
                            they even have a config so the remote works ( https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/s90...to-config/8670 )
                            It is booting faster, tested with 4 drives and runs more than 10 deggree C cooler.

I opened the box and the 3mm thick heat transfer pad was only in contact with the 1.5mm aluminum plate with 60%.
                            I guess the box was designed for an older version where the soc was in a different position.
                            I will make a review in the section what covers the correct box.

Thanks for all your input.
                            really appreciated.

Comment

@Charlie_Boy

The native Android ROM on the GT King is very bad.
                              What do you mean by that? did things not work, like multiple drives or what was giving you trouble?

OpenELEC runs perfectly from an SD card though. That is what I would say is your best option for an easy solution if it is available for your box.

do you mean this here? CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.2.4.1-Generic.img.gz
                              I have the feeling there are quite a few diferent ...elecs out there.
                              quite a bit overwhelming.
                              Very buggy. The home screen still moves around on its own now with the latest Beelink firmware.

Yes that looks like the correct CoreELEC image. Tried to upload a screenshot but the form won't allow/blocks it. So long as it is for the X96 Max Plus it will be okay.

Comment

Working...
                              X