Recommend a new SBC computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a new SBC computer?

At this time the only thing i really do that pushes these things is play Asphalt 8, i do other things, with them, security cameras, watch Pluto, surf the web i dont use them for projects at this time but i plan to when i get well.

Right now i have every version of the Khadas VIm, 1-2-3, 3L. and the Edge i also have a Odroid UX4 and a Raspberry Pi 4

I mainly only use Android, i havnt really ran any other OS much so Android and windows is mostly all i really know.

I like the form factor of the Khadas the best, the Odroid and Pi are ok dont care so much for all the seeorate parts like the Odroid and Pi have

Mainly want a SBC that has a pretty stable version of Android and fast enough to run Asphalt 8, most can do that but some dont have the video power

You are all set with that many SBC's, power-wise the Edge and VIM3 should be all you need to drive any Android game, might need to use a custom ROM from Mo123 for the Edge to get the most from the RK3399 running Android, or custom ROM from Superceleron for the VIM3, and LineageOS for the Rpi4 (https://konstakang.com/devices/rpi4/LineageOS17.1/) -- currently the Rpi4 is not using video hardware decoding/encoding so it is not a viable candidate for a daily media player/streamer but the 3D driver is reported working properly for gaming.

But of course the best/newest SBC for Android is the Odroid-N2+ with 4GB Ram and running a full 64bit Android OS.

Comment

Have you checked out some of the Android 10 distros out there?

Whilst the Odroid N2+ is essentially the most powerful SBC out there, there are some things to be aware of.

Only a 30 day warranty from Hardkernel. Some other vendors might offer longer ones and there is one that you have to pay extra for.

The original N2 was plagued with issues with the USB controller that they have retained with the N2+ and recent updates for CoreELEC and Linux have literally killed it, which is rather astonishing.

The C4 went for a revised controller which so far has not seem to have the same kind of issues and does in general seem to bridge a gap between the cheap S905X3 boxes and the N2+ in terms of both performance and price. The warranty is still the same though.

With Android being a priority is would probably rule out an X86 solution with development still behind ARM, although products from the likes of seeedstudio such as the Odyssey Blue J4105 and others are starting to look more attractive with the range of options available for distros and expansion.

Personally I would not consider anything based upon the RK3399 and the S922X has essentially buried it and I expect it to be very much a dead SOC fairly soon but if shorter term use is it an issue then it might not be a concern.

Of only we could see a product based upon a Snapdragon 865 in an box/sbc, although combining a half decent Snapdragon phone with USB-C connectivity and a 5/7/9 port hub can blow the socks off any SBC/TV box, even the Shield but of course, no GPIO connectivity options yet.
      R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

I just got the C4 today with a emmc module and i think it has issues, when i first plugged it in it would boot from the emmc, then i tried with an SD card and it only boots half the time

ONce i do get it to boot ill mess with it for a few hours but when i go to reboot it wont boot again.

Ive got it to boot once from the emmc card and at first i thought it was blank, i got it from ameridroid yesterday

Today i got one of those cheap S905X libre computer boards off Amazon it booted but it doesnt have much support, Need to figure out what wifi dongle will work with it, it only has nougat on the stock emmc which is better then nothing but i fear if i try to move to something else it might turn into a pretty paper weight.

Since it uses wifi and bluetooth threw the usb ports i wonder if i can just install a random S905X rom on it and it will work? The rom that came on the emmc boots up with the Mbox logo so i think its a rom from a tv box anyway

Comment

Khadas Vim is the way to go: most likely to late but
          https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-...73#post776573:

treboR
          Please consider
          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by BowerR64 View Post
            I just got the C4 today with a emmc module and i think it has issues, when i first plugged it in it would boot from the emmc, then i tried with an SD card and it only boots half the time
            ONce i do get it to boot ill mess with it for a few hours but when i go to reboot it wont boot again.
            Ive got it to boot once from the emmc card and at first i thought it was blank, i got it from ameridroid yesterday
            Today i got one of those cheap S905X libre computer boards off Amazon it booted but it doesnt have much support, Need to figure out what wifi dongle will work with it, it only has nougat on the stock emmc which is better then nothing but i fear if i try to move to something else it might turn into a pretty paper weight.
            Since it uses wifi and bluetooth threw the usb ports i wonder if i can just install a random S905X rom on it and it will work? The rom that came on the emmc boots up with the Mbox logo so i think its a rom from a tv box anyway
            The LePotato (libre computer board) is a really nice board, has great support for Linux, CoreELEC, EMUelec, but the factory Android support is lacking.

Can try this firmware for Android 9 ATV:
            P212(AMPERE) build for all standard S905X devices with Ampak WiFi chips (other WiFi chips on request, I need volunteer testers for this, to create the logs (only via PM)) Based on "IMG DEBUG V3" (https://forum.khadas.com/t/rom-sc-vim1-pie-atv-debug-user-builds-v2-20200130/5284) from superceleron (thanks for your

Read comment:
            P212(AMPERE) build for all standard S905X devices with Ampak WiFi chips (other WiFi chips on request, I need volunteer testers for this, to create the logs (only via PM)) Based on "IMG DEBUG V3" (https://forum.khadas.com/t/rom-sc-vim1-pie-atv-debug-user-builds-v2-20200130/5284) from superceleron (thanks for your

Comment

LePotato or as i call the small-spud or just spud

A fun little chip of the old block, has it uses

treboR
              Please consider
              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Nice, but that little spud is Not a LePotato, this the LaFrite!

I put my "LePotato" in a bright Red aluminum Rpi3B case, same for factor, makes it easy for accessories.

Comment

• trebor
                  trebor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes My potato fritter

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                LePotato or as i call the small-spud or just spud

A fun little chip of the old block, has it uses
                Where did you get that heatsink? I just replaced the main board on my 65" tv and it has one that looks similar to that. The inputs went out and my friend wasnt having it with no inputs so he just dropped it off at my house. I let my mom use it for about a year just using the streaming part and she fought with it the whole time never could figure it out. few weeks ago it just quit turning on and she had enough of it. I just replaced the main board and gave her the 47" back shes more happy with it and im loving the 65"!!

Ive been tryin to read all i can about this board but cant find much about it. What are the other pins and jumpers for?

I just read threw 18 pages for S905X rom for pie, i downloaded the 3 firmware files on the libre site and the only one i got to work was the SD card rom. The other 2 i cant get to load using the burning tool with a male to male cable, i get to 4% then it throws an error, i figured it had something to do with those jumpers?

Also what wifi module are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by RiCkLaR_atvX View Post
                  Nice, but that little spud is Not a LePotato, this the LaFrite!

I put my "LePotato" in a bright Red aluminum Rpi3B case, same for factor, makes it easy for accessories.
                  wait which chip does the Lafrite use? isnt it the s912? mine looks more long his looks more square

They have an S805 on amazon but th eboard is black not white like his

Comment

• trebor
                    trebor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    805x on the fritter, 905x on the spud

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                  Khadas Vim is the way to go: most likely to late but
                  https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-...73#post776573:

I have that one already, its good i like it alot, so far they are my favorites. 2 vim1, a vim2, vim3L, Edge and VIm3 i like their form factor the best.

My least favorite board as of now is the Pi4 B+ for as big of a fallowing they have that board just doesnt run that well imo. I understand its not really "an Android board" but i figured its been out for over a year it would be a little more developed then it is

Comment

Originally posted by BowerR64 View Post
                    I have that one already, its good i like it alot, so far they are my favorites. 2 vim1, a vim2, vim3L, Edge and VIm3 i like their form factor the best.
                    My least favorite board as of now is the Pi4 B+ for as big of a fallowing they have that board just doesnt run that well imo. I understand its not really "an Android board" but i figured its been out for over a year it would be a little more developed then it is
                    Yeah exactly my same conclusion of the Rpi4, just comparing the LibreELEC OS on Rpi4 vs CoreELEC on the LePotato(s905x) and the Pi software implementation was so underwhelming as a reliable daily media player.

Comment

Working...
                    X