Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onda v820w Dual OS Review - An 8" Android 4.4.4 and Windows 10 Tablet

Onda v820w Dual OS (Android 4.4.4 / Windows 10 home) review

Between the extremely cheap tablets, the most interesting devices are the ones equipped with “dual OS” systems, Android and Windows, due to the potential good versatility of both OS: Android for easy use on mobility, and Windows for the possibility to be used as a laptop-replacement and the complete compatibility with all x86 softwares and Microsoft Office documents.
    One of these devices is the Onda v820w Dual OS, an 8” 16:10 tablet equipped with an Intel BayTrail Z3735F, Android Kitkat 4.4.4 and Windows 10 Home edition.
    Here in the followings are the technical characteristics of the tablet:

Onda V820w Dual OS Tablet Features:
    CPU: Quad Core 64bit Intel BayTrail-T Z3735F Processor
    GPU: Intel HD Graphics Gen7 for BayTrail
    RAM: 2GB,DDR3L
    Storage: 32GB eMMC
    Extend Card: Support MicroSD card up to 128GB
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0
    Screen: Capacitive Touchscreen, 1280*800
    Size: 8.0 inch IPS
    Resolution: 1280*800 Pixels
    Display: IPS Screen
    Daul Camera: Front 0.3 Megapixels, Back 2.0 Megapixels

Onda V820w Dual OS Tablet other Details:
    Video: 4K HD Video Play with formats of MP4/3GP/3G2/RM/RMVB/ASF/FLAC/APE/MOV etc.
    Gravity Sensor: Yes
    Multi-Touch: Yes, 10 points touch
    HDMI: Build in Micro HDMI port
    USB Port: Micro USB2.0/OTG Function
    Play Store: Yes, built in
    WIFI: Yes, 802.11 b/g/n
    Earphone Interface: 3.5mm
    Battery : 4200mAh

Onda V820w Dual OS Tablet contain:
    1 x Onda V820w Dual OS Tablet PC
    1 x USB cable

Tablet Weight: 333g (measured)
    Tablet Size: 205x120x9mm

Intel BayTrail is a good compromise of performance and battery drain for low-middle class devices.

In this case the use of an Intel SoC is useful to guarantee complete x86 compatibility to allow Windows 10 home functionalities as on a Desktop PC.

Dimensions and Build quality:
    With a weight of 333gr (measured) it’s not the lightest tablet I’ve seen, considering also the battery of 4200mAh, there are other lighter tablets (as the Chuwi Vi8). So probably some of the extra weight is due to the internal heatspreader that helps reducing SoC produced heat that during all tests have been kept always under control.

The back cover is made of plastic with a “fingerprint” finishing to increase grip.
    The tablet as soon as you get it on your hand gives a feeling of solidity. The reduced bezel size improve screen-to-size ratio, and makes its overall dimension similar to a 7” display device of other brands.

Build quality is good for the price with no squeaks’ or crunches. All the tablet plastics are well assembled: no dust under the screen (common on ultra-cheap Chinese devices), no dead pixels, no problems or malfunctions of every button.

On top of the tablet (from right to left of the picture) are present: 3.5mm earphone jack, micro HDMI port, micro USB 2.0 port.

On the right side power button and volume controls are inserted. On left of the tablet only MicroSD slot is present. This slot supports up to 128Gb card.

In front of the tablet, on top is present the VGA camera and a led with multiple functions (not a flash). The microphone is placed close to the front camera but no hole on the plastic cover is present (I’ve seen that opening the tablet)

This led is always lit during charging, blinking when charge is completed and is lit when front or rear camera is used in both Windows and Android.

Surprisingly Windows logo on the bottom is not only cosmetic. It has the following functions:
    • In Android it is used to go back to main page of google launcher
    • In Windows (desktop mode) is used to open “start menu”
    • In Windows (tablet mode) is used to go back to main page of the windows tiles
    On the back of the tablet is present the 2Mpix camera (no flashled is foreseen) and the mono speaker. The speaker is able to generate a good volume but with a tendency of “metallic” sounds.

Display and TouchScreen:
    The display is a common IPS with a resolution of 1280x800 (16:10 ratio). Not a bad resolution for an 8” tablet.

I’m generally using retina resolution (2048x1536) on a screen of 9.7”, but I’ve not been disappointed with the lower resolution of this 8” screen. It helps reducing weight and increasing battery life and general performance.

Maximum brightness is good and sufficiently bright to be used under direct sunlight.

On the other hand minimum brightness is a little bit too bright to be comfortable in a complete dark room.

The main concern is the gap between the digitizer and the IPS panel that is clearly visible and is supposed to be almost 2mm.

It doesn’t lead to any problem during normal use, but it’s probably responsible of the slightly loss of brightness on high viewing angles.

Touchscreen has a good sensitivity and is perfectly able to detect 10 simultaneous touches.

The touchscreen seems to lose sensitivity around the corners of the display, such that sometimes are necessary 2-3 taps to select top left and top right items on Android.

Connections:
    USB: everything I’ve connected over USB have been perfectly recognized and installed.
    USB pendrives are quickly recognized. Also NTFS pendrives can be read under Android. There is no possibility to write/delete files on NTFS pendrives on Android as usual.
    In Windows 10 with NTFS pendrives there are no limitations: read, write, delete files is allowed here.
    USB keyboard and mouse are correctly recognized on both Windows and Android.
    On Windows (desktop mode) the connection of keyboard and mouse converts this tablet to a real laptop (keeping in mind the relatively good performance of Z3735F SoC). This is the most interesting capability of this dual OS device.

Bluetooth: Pairing any device on both Windows and Android is a very easy job. Also pairing a Bluetooth speaker deactivate the integrated speaker of the tablet correctly (on both Android and Windows).

Wireless: Thanks to the plastic cover of the tablet there are no issues or limited sensitivity for wifi. Connection is established quickly and kept stably.
    Network of my neighbors can be easily seen too.

MicroSD: Every MicroSD I’ve inserted have been recognized correctly on both OS. Unfortunately I haven’t had the possibility to test MicroSD bigger than 16Gb.

Micro HDMI: Need an adapter from micro-HDMI to HDMI to be connected to the TV, so I’ve ordered the adapter, I will upgrade this review as soon as I receive it.

Earphone jack: Works correctly deactivating integrated speaker, but volume on earphone can be raised too much for a safe use, so it needs to be used carefully!

3G/4G: There is no built-in 3G/4G module, but on Android settings menu it is declared compatible with the following USB dongles:

Boot times:
    Boot times are generally good and similar to other competitors:

Cold Boot on Android: 24 sec to lock screen

Cold boot on Windows: 25 sec to lock screen but the system is ready to be used after about 35 sec from power-on

Switching OS from Android to Windows is faster than a cold boot, and needs nearly 20 sec.
    Switching OS from Windows to Android needs nearly 5 seconds more due to the time needed to close Windows.

Usability / Stability / Performances:
    Pressing power button + volume up the tablet switch on with the possibility to choose the OS: Windows 10 or Android Kitkat 4.4.4.
    If only the power button is pressed the tablet will switch-on with the last OS used.
    To switch from one OS to the other:
    On Android on right pull-down menu there is the “switch-OS” button.
    On Windows 10 desktop is present a shortcut named “DualOSSwitcher”.

ANDROID 4.4.4:
    Unfortunately no Android 5.0 Lollipop or Android 6.0 Marshmallow is installed on v820w but still the well-known and stable Android 4.4.4 KitKat. Hopefully one of the newer Android releases will be available for v820w. I do not expect that any newer version of Android will be released for this cheap device though.

On first boot on Android, the tablet comes equipped with “Onda launcher” graphically pleasant, but I prefer the standard google launcher, so I switched to that one to continue testing. It has also a fully functional PlayStore and some Chinese bloatware, many of them can be uninstalled without problems, the only apps that cannot be unistalled are: stock browser (seems a Chinese version of Chrome), Game Center, CleanMaster and Onda Launcher. Anyway all these 4 apps can be terminated and deactivated.

Android partition is 6,78Gb with 5,78Gb of free space available.
    Not so much free space considering the whole 32Gb of flash, but all free space can be used for apps without limitations.

The Intel BayTrail Z3735F can scale many frequencies/voltages to increase battery life as stated by CPU spy plus:

Also deep sleep is fully working out of the box. This lead of a battery drain during Stand-By of only 0,25% every hour. Very good result, considering that the battery is 4200mAh.

Usability of Android is good as of almost all other android devices on the market. Stability is perfect.
    App installation and opening speed is average. Never seen any slowdowns on app openings.

Not one single reboot/freeze happened during the whole testing period. Tablet temperature also on the heaviest test session remains under control and no thermal throttling have been detected.

Browsing with the Onda v820 Dual OS, is good after installing Chrome or Boat browser (the stock Chinese, is almost unusable for non-Chinese people). On heavy web pages, during fast scrolling some stuttering are shown here and there. But overall browsing performance is good.

Antutu X scored 32495 points, where the new Antutu V6 scored a valid 43950 points.
    These good scores are mainly due to the good Intel BayTrail GPU integrated on Z3735F.

3DMark is the proof of how good is the GPU integrated in the Intel SoC with:

Maxed out! Score for Ice Storm test
    14690 for Ice Storm Unlimited
    8536 for Ice Storm Extreme

All tests have been performed with good average framerates with the worst value of 28fps for Ice Storm Extreme Graphic Test 2. All other tests have been completed with an average framerate of over 40fps. In a gaming scenario everything would be well playable without any stuttering.

With Intel x86 SoC there are some compatibility issues with some apps/games. For example it’s not possible to play Asphalt 8 Airborne. Luckily the list of incompatible apps/games is quite short.

WINDOWS 10:
    The real plus of the use of a Z3735F SoC is the compatibility with x86 OS.
    On a tablet, having a complete version of the Microsoft Windows 10 Home x86 is interesting:
    • with Windows 10 Home fully licensed, the OS will be always updated through Windows Update
    • it is possible to install via BT or USB a keyboard and mouse, converting the device in a laptop that can really improve personal productivity.
    • the presence of Micro-HDMI with the possibility to use a bigger screen raises the multitasking ability of Windows.
    It’s a pity that Onda didn’t chose Windows 10 x64 version, because in this way they missed the possibility to use the BayTrail Z3735F x64 capability support.
    Windows partition is 20Gb with a free space of almost 8Gb.

Testing internal flash performance of v820w gives below average results.

Windows update is fully functional so on this device OS obsolescence will not be a problem. General performance in Windows are good, no lag or stuttering even opening multiple windows.

Browsing with Edge is good and even faster than on Android. The possibility to open multiple windows for Copy-paste operation is an interesting capability that still lacks on latest Android versions.

On windows 10 going from tablet mode to desktop mode is easy: sliding from right to left appears the notification center with tablet mode / desktop mode button.

Movies:
    On both android and Windows movies up to 4K are played perfectly.

On Windows is also possible to work with other applications while 4K movie is playing without any stuttering. This is amazing for such a cheap device.

Battery life:
    Use: 4-6 hours in normal use
    Movie playback: 6:45 of continuos playback with brightness at 50% and wifi deactivated
    Stand-by Android 4.4.4: lose 0,25% every hour
    Stand-by Windows 10: lose 0,5% every hour
    Charging Time: 2 hours with wall charger (2Amp), 3 hours with USB

NOTE: when the tablet is switched off from Android then charged, the battery charging status is shown on the screen (together with the front led that is lit when the charging is in progress). Unfortunately when the tablet is switched off from Windows only the front led that remains always lit shows the battery charging status. When charge is completed the led is blinking.

A look of the internal engineering:

Internally everything have been engineered well:
    A big heatspreader on the SoC that is partially glued on back cover too, helps to keep under control the temperature, that even on the torture testing never goes over 63°C (considering the Z3735F junction temperature of 90°) is a very good result. On general use the temperature never rises over 52-53°C.
    Wifi/Bluetooth antenna is the little white tape on the back cover, next to the camera hole.

There is no abuse of tape to keep the parts together. This is good for a cheap tablet. Everything is firmly screwed to the chassis.
    The battery is connected to the mainboard with a dedicated connector and not with cables soldered to the mainboard. This helps to replace battery if needed.
    This is rare on Chinese low-end devices. I’ve seen too often all the cables soldered to the mainboard to reduce costs.

Modding files:
    On Windows nothing is necessary: you simply have administrative access to the system.
    On Android to delete unwanted Chinese apps, it’s necessary to achieve root privileges.
    To do that, all the necessary files have been attached hereafter.
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=folder%2ctxt

Conclusions:
    On a good portable device as an 8” tablet is, one of the most important point is the weight, this device is not as light as you could expect from such screen dimension.

Other than that the lack of built in 3G/4G support, poor cameras quality on both pictures and video, lack of GPS receiver are other weak points. The weak points lasts here.

On the other hand if you like the flexibility of an Android/Windows 10 device, considering the extremely low street price of around 75€ there are no other issues to not consider this tablet.

It’s extremely cheap, can be used as a Desktop as soon as you connect keyboard and mouse on Windows 10, all connections work properly, WiFi sensitivity is very good and stable, movie playback is perfect up to 4K.

Android part works very well too. The good gaming performance of GPU Intel together with the not ultra-high resolution of the screen make it a “good game companion” with the current most demanding games on Android.

I had some concerns knowing Onda general bad build quality, but with this cheap device Onda have been able to demonstrate to be able to produce a valid device considering the ultra-cheap street price.

Thanks to Gearbest.com that provided me this tablet quickly to review.

This is the direct link of Gearbest.com if you are interested in buying this device:

http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?u=12...F266786%2Ehtml
    The good: The Bad:
    Extremely cheap Reduced sensitivity on screen corners
    Good performance Big gap between the digitizer and IPS screen
    Good battery life and low battery drain in stand-by Only 32Bit Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 Home fully licensed Lack of 3G/4G built-in module
    Good build quality Lack of GPS
    Dual OS Android / Windows 10 Compatibility issues with some Apps/games on Android (as every Intel SoC)
    2GB of RAM and 32Gb of flash Poor cameras
    4K playback support
    Here you can read and download the review in Italian PDF format:
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2cpdf

Here you can view and download the review in English PDF format:
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2cpdf

Stay Tuned!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by giouncino; 01-20-2016, 17:01.
    if you appreciate my efforts this is the link for any donation:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...NonHostedGuest

there are some issues on viewing pictures for unregistered users....

Comment

Hm, this is an interesting one indeed. Two OSes on the same tablet and reasonable performance for less than $80? Count me in on that. I wonder if there is a way to change the partition size though, you probably could while running Windows I guess. Speaking of, having admin privileges for once right out of the box is something nice and refreshing to me as far as mobile devices go. Hm, I might have to give this one a go. Where would someone go to buy one of these?
      Last edited by TheRektafire; 04-03-2016, 01:18. Reason: Needed to fix some typos

Comment

Also, loved your review. Nice and in depth just like I like them

Comment

Nice...
          Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

thanks a lot guys!
            I spent quite a lot of time doing this review!

Comment

Hi very good. Job ,, .. ,
              could explain me reasons to have a double OS system, I would like to buy a new tablet , my choose is cube t8 ultimate ,I want explore new size of screen since no really new things or limit in my experience with cube T9, this cubet model technologically is basically a phone with big screen (but I prefer to use a compact smartphone of a 4.5 for phone " I use the tablet for browsing ,mailing ,shopping and some small business reporting with pictures made on field : an android tablet with. 3\4g connectivity is really good,stable and faster to use than a PC .

Are Intel soc better for this application? Development in tablet seems to go.to double Os: why ? Does Somebody replace its PC with it for business ?What can give more a windos OS: are they for gaming ,
              Whato about for ROM supports or App stores?

Is it suitable to use new Chinese double OS tablet just as android ,Hopefully with LTE connectivity.

For tablet should we go to Samsung to get more ram or features tweo stay in andlroid world ?

Regards

Comment

Working...
              X