Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEXBOX N9 TV Box Review

NEXBOX N9 TV Box Rockchip RK3229 Quad-core Cortex A7 1.5GHz 64bit

Hi Folks ,This time my review is for the Newbox N9 sent to me from Newbox (Thanks guys)The device arrived in less than 1 week with no customs tax's to pay this time.

The Newbox N9 is a cheap as chips Rockchip powered tv box with the RK3229 chip.
    The specks say its a 64bit TV box but after doing some testing its showing up as a 32bit box not 64bit

Quick facts
    1GB RAM + 8G ROM, 32G extendable capacity
    The Newbox N9 TV Box has the new Rockchip RK3229 Quad-core Cortex A7 1.5GHz 64bit (Maybe 32bit)
    H.265/HEVC video decoding
    Android 4.4 kitkat out the box
    Fully Rooted

Internal Photos.

With the heat sink (Very thin pice of sticky aluminum)

With heat sink removed

Main Features:
    CPU: Rockchip RK3229 Quad-core Cortex A7 1.5GHz 64bit (Maybe 32bit)
    GPU: Penta-Core HD Graphics
    1GB DDR3 RAM
    8GB Flash ROM
    USB 2.0 x 4 ports
    USB disk and USB HDD supported
    Card reader: SD/SDHC/MMC cards
    Support the latest HEVC (H.265) decoding
    Support 4K*2K Super HD video
    Wifi: IEEE 802.11b/g/n, 2.4G/5G, the fastest wireless internet
    Wired/wireless mouse/ keyboard supported

Newbox N9 Device

It comes with just one launcher installed, (Media box launcher) I really dont like the look of that launcher so iv installed nova launcher & now everything looks better & it gives it a android 5.1 look & feel.
    The device itself is not a bad looking tv box at 10.5cm by 10.5cm square with 4 little rubber feet.It has 4 full sized USB ports for your every need,full sized SD card slot,HDMI port.Power input,AV port,SPDIF,RJ45 port.The IR remote has good range & works well.Google play store is installed & works well.

One very annoying bug!! When trying to type on the onscreen kayboard you get double clicks with almost every click & in most cases you will also get 2 of what ever letter you type in.

Home Screen

App Draw

Nova launcher Home screen

Nova launcher app draw

On the front of the N9 is the IR senser & the power LED

On the rear you will find the Power port,HDMI port,Ethernet port, SPDIF,AV, & USB port number 4,Also behind the AV is the recovery button.
    On the right hand side you will find 3 USB ports & the SD Card slot.
    The underneath has plenty of venterlation holes i like to see this on a tv box

Wifi =Ethernet
    2.4G/5G Wifi which is nice & strong picking up my neighbours wifi network (Not all box's will do this) Iv not had a problem with the wifi single, Where ever iv placed the N9 around the house its worked of full bars single strenth.

WIFI

ETHERNET

Kodi.
    The N9 comes with Kodi 16 preinstalled with a few addons.The speed of kodi is not so fast at 7 seconds to load from the app screen,Iv been streaming 1080 from the web with no video stuttering that iv noticed & the device remained cool all the time (When i say cool i mean cool this thing just dont heat up)

Games
    Iv tested beach buggy blitz with graphics set to high it played perfect as expected
    I could not use my ps3 game pad as the N9 has no bluetooth
    So i tried the tronsmart Mars G01 Game pad that works well

Misc
    Logitech c270 camera works fine
    External powered 1T HD works fine
    Tronsmart Mars G01 game pad works
    32GB sd card works fine

The N9 gets warm but no where near hot,The venterlation holes are doing a there job by keeping the unit cool,I was expecting it to get hotter than is does as there's not really a heat sink fitted but no the temp is good on this unit.

CPU Z info
    Its showing up as a RK3066

CPU X info

As you can see in this screen shot the N9 is showing as a 32bit not 64bit as addvertised

Antutu

Antutu Video

Whats in the Box

1 x N9 TV Box
    1 x Power Adapter
    1 x HDMI Cable
    1 x IR Remote Control
    1 x English Manual

Conclusion

For a £20 Tv box this is worth every penny in my view,Ok yes it would of been nice to see Android 5.1 on this device,But for a kitkat rom its not that bad at all this tv box would make a good starting point into the tv box world.

Basic Unboxing Video

Please consider making a Donation to freakTab
Working...
X