My PiPo M8Pro 3G Tablet Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, this has to be the best yet from PiPo!

The tablet was setup for English language use. While the Owner’s Manual is in Chinese, a "Quick Start Guide" is included that is printed in English, and I believe Spanish, German and Russian language too. Also, there is an English M8 User Manual in .PDF format included on the tablet.

I also have a 10" Flytouch 2 and a 7" PiPo U1. I find the 9.4" M8 screen is best for my purposes because it is a 1280 x 800 pixel format. My primary tablet need is for use as a Remote Desktop device that best presents a Windows Host screen resolution of 1280 x 768. I utilize GoToMyPC to connect via WIFI to a customers Windows based computer to update and provide training on database software that I develop.

I have installed a Netgear WN2000RPT Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender in my office to boost WIFI from my remote wireless router. This greatly improves the WIFI signal reception for all tablets, but this PiPo M8 has the fastest internet connectivity I have seen to date. I am sure the Quad-core Rockchip 3188 CPU coupled with 2GB of RAM has everything to do with the great performance.

I especially like the "Startup" button located at the top Right Side of the tablet that also doubles to put the tablet in "Standby" mode. Gone are the troublesome push-switches found on some other PiPo tablets.

The front mounted speakers are another big plus. They are a bit on the "treble" side, but produce very acceptable music (go Stones...). For normal listening you will actually need to turn the volume down!

The on screen keyboard has nice large keys to help make data entry much more error free.

Battery life seems very good, but has not been fully formed as yet. I have noticed that this tablet runs very cool, even when the battery is charging. However, I would like to have gotten USB cable charging capability thru the USB connection to a PC.

USB connectivity to a Windows XP computer provides access to both the internal SD RAM and my external 32GB SD Card for file transfers. Bluetooth connectivity to both my Windows XP PC and Smartphone I5 was quick and easy, although I have not utilized the Bluetooth capability for file transfers.

All the usual programs like Android 4.1.1, Chrome, Google Search, Gmail, Flash 11.1, ES File Explorer, ES Task Mgr., Google Music, Documents to Go, Google Play Store, Maps, and more (some Chinese) are pre-installed.

The internet video streaming of news and movies is the best I have seen to date. Just awesome.

While I have not yet used the HDMI connectivity, I noticed that once turned "ON" there are Resolution, Screen Zoom and Screen Timeout controls.

That's it for now.

Originally posted by geofferyh View Post
    For me, this has to be the best yet from PiPo!

I have installed a Netgear WN2000RPT Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender in my office to boost WIFI from my remote wireless router. This greatly improves the WIFI signal reception for all tablets, but this PiPo M8 has the fastest internet connectivity I have seen to date. I am sure the Quad-core Rockchip 3188 CPU coupled with 2GB of RAM has everything to do with the great performance.

All the usual programs like Android 4.1.1, Chrome, Google Search, ...
    Thanks geofferyh for your review of the 3G version. I had so far only seen Wifi only reviews.
    Your report on fast Wifi confirms my suspiciion that my own M8 Pro 3G unit, with the worse Wifi I had ever seen in any tablet, must be faulty. Its signal reception is extremely low. I cannot use wifi more than 10 feet from my router and at the local public library I cannot connect to the public wireless network.

I had seen reports of excellent Wifi performance and of strong signals from the Wifi-only version of the M8 Pro and wondered if my problem was with a faulty tablet or if all 3G models had the same issue. Despite your use of a repeater, I am more inclined to believe in the former after your review.
    Have you tried to see what signal you have with your unit at some distance from the repeater?

On another point, my tablet received about 10 days ago came with Android 4.2.2 rather than 4.1.1.

Comment

There appears to be fluctuation in devices on wifi. My first M8 Pro had weaker wifi than my newer one.

Randy
      Randy
      Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
        There appears to be fluctuation in devices on wifi. My first M8 Pro had weaker wifi than my newer one.

Randy

I am quite sure you are right Randy. My device is a recent one, so it is not a case of the newer ones being better, but rather of where and by whom the assembly was made. The antenna soldering job, for example is a tricky one that is probably done by hand.

However on my device I also find noticeable differences between ROM versions. The latest stock ROM
        (update_PIPO_M8 pro-3G_EN_2013628.img)and the MetaROM both show small improvements (4db to 5db) in signal strength. The signal appears also more stable. I also suspect a horrible hack in those ROMs. I have not taken measurements as I was experimenting, but in retrospect the tablet seems to be showing more Wifi signal bars for the same signal strength with the later ROMs than with the earlier ROMs, a visible output that the unwary will immediately interpret as a significant improvement, whereas it means nothing.

This is a hint that there probably is some awareness at Pipo of Wifi issues with a number of units.

Comment

Originally posted by pan2fire View Post
          Thanks geofferyh for your review of the 3G version. I had so far only seen Wifi only reviews.
          Your report on fast Wifi confirms my suspiciion that my own M8 Pro 3G unit, with the worse Wifi I had ever seen in any tablet, must be faulty. Its signal reception is extremely low. I cannot use wifi more than 10 feet from my router and at the local public library I cannot connect to the public wireless network.

I had seen reports of excellent Wifi performance and of strong signals from the Wifi-only version of the M8 Pro and wondered if my problem was with a faulty tablet or if all 3G models had the same issue. Despite your use of a repeater, I am more inclined to believe in the former after your review.
          Have you tried to see what signal you have with your unit at some distance from the repeater?

On another point, my tablet received about 10 days ago came with Android 4.2.2 rather than 4.1.1.
          I have used it at McDonalds hotspots and even at my Ford dealership using their in-house WIFI to connect to a customers Windows computer using GoToMyPC. Please remember that the WIFI antenna capabilities of both cellphones and tablets is somewhat limited. Much different than using 3G or 4G telecom networks. I have two PiPo UpU1 tablets and the PiPo M8Pro3G and find them to be great devices. However, the UpU1 tablets exhibit totally different WIFI charactoriztics (See my post "PiPo UpU1 ROM Speed Test Comparison")

Comment

Battery stand by time

For all users of PipoM8 Pro 3g - I am interested how is your battery draining in stb-by
            Mine is very poor - i think it lasts only a day. The only workaround i found is to power off the unit while i don't use it for a longer perriod . I tried coupple of Rile's rom but i have the same problem
            I am using Riley's rom 1.7 3g - without a SIM card right now

The other tab i have first generation Samsung also 3g - I think it lasts in stb-by a week or more

The wifi reception is average - a little worse maybe than my Galaxy S4 but for web browsing and youtube is ok

Comment

Originally posted by geofferyh View Post
              I have used it at McDonalds hotspots and even at my Ford dealership using their in-house WIFI to connect to a customers Windows computer using GoToMyPC. Please remember that the WIFI antenna capabilities of both cellphones and tablets is somewhat limited...
              Thanks geofferyh. You are right, of course, wifi reception on many tablets is not as good as on some laptops or desktops. However WiFi turns out to be very good for the Pipo M8 Pro, including the 3G version.

That issue is now solved. My tablet had a trivial hardware fault at the level of the WiFi antenna. It has been fixed.
              WiFi reception is now very good, signal strength is now on average 30db higher than before the fix. For a description of the fault and of how it was repaired, with photos, see this post on Slatedroid, http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/8188...ost__p__995153.
              You will also find figures there on a comparison between the signal strength received by my tablet and the same signal reception on a HP laptop with very good WiFi performance. You will see that the M8 Pro 3G is doing very well indeed... when it works.

I suspect from the description of very poor WiFi performance by other users of the M8 Pro 3G on forums, that this same trivial hardware fault affects a number of units. Quality control at Pipo probably does not check WiFi and not all resellers who test units before shipping check WiFi either. The written return policy of my own reseller even excludes WiFi connection from their free shipping return policy. They claim they check tablets before sending them, but they obviously do not check WiFi.

It's all a quality control issue.
              Last edited by pan2fire; 09-04-2013, 11:49. Reason: fixing typos

Comment

Working...
              X