Ramos i9 - Hands-On review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ramos i9 - Hands-On review

I have tried the following tablets in order, and this tablet is my favorite of them all:
    Cube U30GT2 - RK3188
    Cube U9GT5 - RK3188
    Voyo A15 - Exynos 5250
    Pipo M8HD - RK3188
    Ramos i9 - Intel Z2580

Key Features:
    8.9 inch Samsung PLS 1920x1200 Display
    Intel Atom Z2580 Dual-Core 2.0GHz x86 CPU with PowerVR SGX544MP2 GPU (Clocked higher than the more expensive Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1" which has the Intel Z2560)
    Stock Android 4.2.2 with frequent updates
    2GB of LPDDR2 RAM
    16GB of Internal Memory
    microSD slot
    4.1MP Rear camera with autofocus (no flash) and 1080p video
    1.6MP Front camera
    Stereo Speakers
    USB charging
    USB Host
    3.5mm Headphone jack
    1080p Hardware Video Decoding
    7000mAh battery (advertised)

Dimensions: 235*150*8.5mm
    Weight: 441.7g

I will start with the negatives:
    No ambient light sensor for auto-brightness. You must adjust brightness manually.
    Battery life isn't as good with video playback as most RK3188 devices like the Pipo M8HD
    An area on the back of the tablet gets quite hot when gaming. Luckily this is strategically placed where your hands don't touch in landscape mode.
    The metal isn't "perfect"

Annnd that's about it for the negatives. You will still get about 9-11 hours of battery life watching video which is enough for almost anyone.

Packaging
    Ramos provides tablets in high quality packaging. And the online shop which I got mine from improved this packaging with more bubble wrap and cardboard.

The box contains:

Ramos i9
    MicroUSB cable for sync and chargeUSB 5V 2A 100-240V Charger with American plug
    Chinese Manual
    QA Passed tag

Design:
    I really do like the design of the Ramos i9, especially the perfectly flat back of it. This makes me less worried about scratching the back when placing it on surfaces.
    It feels premium (a bit heavy) in the hand and has no flex to it. The front camera is located for use in portrait mode. The bezels are a little larger in landscape mode.
    The power button is slightly loose and the volume buttons are firm.

The rear camera is flush and the back is minimalistic in appearance.
    The microSD slot is on the top of the device (in landscape) and is quite deep so a paperclip is needed to insert/remove it. Next to the microSD slot is the microphone hole.

This lacks an HDMI output.
    The headphone jack is firm and provides near-perfect audio. There is a tiny bit of audio noise when the tablet is IDLE which is opposite to some other tablets.
    The stereo speakers are located on the sides (landscape) at the bottom. Some gamers will find this annoying as hands can cover them. But at least it has two speakers unlike the Cube U30GT2.

This tablet charges via USB which is VERY convenient compared to most china tablets where you have to carry around another charger. USB chargers and microUSB cables are commonplace nowadays.

I tested via a USB OTG cable, a 16GB Flash Drive, a USB Keyboard/Mouse and they all worked fine.

The charger gets hot when charging, but still perfectly touchable.

Display

The Samsung PLS display in this is absolutely wonderful. The viewing angles are very very good. At extreme angles, you may notice a slight noisy haze over the display as seen on AHVA panels like on the Pipo M8HD and Cube U30GT2, but it isn't really noticeable.

1920x1200 Resolution at 8.9 inches is very good and individual pixels cannot be seen without a magnifying glass. The colours are very vibrant.
    The brightness is high and can be seen in almost-direct sunlight.

The touch digitizer is only 5-point multi-touch but works very accurately and the response time is very very fast. No missed keys on the keyboard when you type fast. Ever.

OS and Interface:

This comes with Stock Android 4.2.2 with zero customizations from Ramos apart from the OTA software updater in the About page of Settings.
    It is in the Phone UI mode and cannot be changed through build.prop like seen in some RK3188 tablets like the Pipo M8HD.

It comes with a ton of chinese apps but they are all installed in user data so can simply be removed from the Apps section in Settings. There is an Asian keyboard and a couple of other system apps which can be removed after rooting.

Firmware updates come from a chinese server at 20KB/s and are 260MB so take many many hours. Fortunately, you can install the update from the saved ZIP file through the OTA update utility. If anyone wants, PM me and I will upload the update to a fast file hosting service.

There isn't a lot of information regarding rooting of x86 Android tablets as they are rare. However, you can root this tablet with ease. Just follow the instructions contained in the ZIP file below:
    DOWNLOAD ROOT FILES
    Firmware updates preserve all apps and data but you will need to root it again.

Also, this device uses the "emulated" method of Internal Storage like Google Nexus devices. This means you don't have 2GB for apps, and the rest as storage. You just have 12GB (after system partitions etc) for apps and storage together so you aren't limited on apps.

Also, this device does not have Mass-Storage mode for USB. It only has MTP mode. I find this very convenient as I don't have to unmount to quickly transfer stuff to/from the tablet/PC.

Performance:

This is my number one reason for liking this tablet over the others. This thing just flies through everything I throw at it. Web browsing is silky smooth without stutters. Every game works thanks to the SGX544MP2 at higher clock speed. Office apps work fine. Even Google Chrome is usable (AOSP Browser is the best though).
    This has a Dual-Core 2.0GHz CPU with Hyper-threading which shows up as 4 cores. When idle, it goes down to 800MHz.

The main thing that makes this fast though, is the I/O speed and flash memory. Apps open near instantly when they aren't even cached yet and there is no slowdowns in the system as seen on RK3188 devices all to common.
    I did a test on the speed of the flash storage and it reads at 61MB/s and writes at 18MB/s. My PipoM8HD read speed was 19MB/s and write was 10MB/s.
    It reads my UHS-1 SD card at 19MB/s and writes to it at 9MB/s.
    The RAM measured at 6.2GB/s which is triple what my Pipo M8HD scored.

The USB speed of the RK3188 chipset is slow and writes at 7MB/s max when copying files to it. This tablet has full speed USB2.0 and really makes use of it when transferring.

AnTuTu sucks and scores my Nexus 4 at 18000 when it wrecks various 25000 devices in real-world performance.
    Here is the AnTuTu results for the Ramos i9:

Score 20149
    UX Multitask 3564
    UX Dalvik 1564
    CPU Integer 1691
    CPU Float-point 1867
    RAM Operation 1404
    RAM Speed 2008
    GPU 2D 1576
    GPU 3D 4490
    Storage I/O 1355
    Database I/O 630

Cameras:

Tablet cameras. Never found good ones except maybe the Nexus 10 and iPad Air. This thing is no exception. Although it has autofocus, it lacks sharpness and saturation and is only really usable in outdoor lighting. The following tests were done on a gloomy day.

Front Camera: http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/...126_145355.jpg

Rear Camera:

Note that the rear camera preview is about 10FPS but the front camera runs at a decent at least 25FPS.
    Video quality is similar to the still shots above. The rear camera records at 1080p 30fps.

Connectivity:

This tablet has WiFi b/g/n. And the latest Bluetooth 4.0. I tested the bluetooth with a keyboard and my PC and it works fine.

WiFi often sucks on chinese tablets but this thing works great. I can download apps at my full internet speed of 1.5MB/s and I can stream 1080p video. The range works at a campus where it didn't work on the Cube U30GT2 (without midifications) or the Voyo A15. It shows only 1 to 2 bars at my home where I am 6 meters from the router. However connection quality is perfect and has never disconnected. This must be a software issue.

This tablet may lack a video output, but it supports Wireless Display.
    The verdict on the WiFi, is that it is great and above most chinese tablets.

Battery Life:

The battery isn't amazing like the Pipo M8HD or Cube U9GT5 but it is above the "good-enough" mark and will provide a solid day's use with the average user and many hours of video playback.
    The capacity is advertised as 7000mAh.

Verdict:

This is an excellent tablet for the price and outperforms even super-expensive tablets that can be bought locally. I would choose it over an iPad any day for its connectivity options and file-management support.

I recommend this tablet over any RK3188 tablet if you want a hassle-free premium tablet experience.

PM me if you have any questions. This is my first review.
    Last edited by nztdm; 11-26-2013, 04:13.

Very good review, thank you.
    I'm waiting for my i9 and this information is very useful.

Comment

Excellent review.

My M8 Pro is on the fritz, so I am looking at this size tab (8.9") ...either the i9, the Pipo M7 Pro, or the FNF Five X2.

My only dance with Ramos was a W42 with the Exynos chip. It went bad ...had to go back, but while it functioned it had too issues ..

Light bleed around the screen
      &
      Faint image lines that showed up only in some of the settings screens ..
      (not in actual operation)

Any of this on the new i9?

Thanks again ..
      Cube T9; Pipo M8 Pro (on life support); LG gPad

Comment

Originally posted by BamaPanda View Post
        Excellent review.

My M8 Pro is on the fritz, so I am looking at this size tab (8.9") ...either the i9, the Pipo M7 Pro, or the FNF Five X2.

My only dance with Ramos was a W42 with the Exynos chip. It went bad ...had to go back, but while it functioned it had too issues ..

Light bleed around the screen
        &
        Faint image lines that showed up only in some of the settings screens ..
        (not in actual operation)

Any of this on the new i9?

Thanks again ..
        Mine AND my friend's M8Pro went nuts and had multiple problems. Also, it was disgustingly slow due to low flash memory (or bus) speed.

The Ramos i9 is VERY fast and smooth and is nicer to use than even an Exynos 5250 device.

I don't see any noticeable light bleed.

I don't know what you mean about faint image lines. It is too vague.

I have had nothing but a perfect experience with the Ramos i9. And I have tried many tablets. Would choose it over any Samsung tablet (except the Note 10.1 2014 but that costs so much) and any Apple tablet easily.

Comment

Originally posted by nztdm View Post
          Mine AND my friend's M8Pro went nuts and had multiple problems. Also, it was disgustingly slow due to low flash memory (or bus) speed.

The Ramos i9 is VERY fast and smooth and is nicer to use than even an Exynos 5250 device.

I don't see any noticeable light bleed.

I don't know what you mean about faint image lines. It is too vague.

I have had nothing but a perfect experience with the Ramos i9. And I have tried many tablets. Would choose it over any Samsung tablet (except the Note 10.1 2014 but that costs so much) and any Apple tablet easily.
          Thanks for a quick reply.

Hopefully this i9 report ...

of light bleed was an anomaly.

I said "image lines" ...should have said banding. It was pretty obvious on the W42 ...may have been related to the 4412 chip.
          Link.

I really liked the W42, but it was like Ramos just never really finished the tab completely ...no updates, the banding. I am thinking it was lack of support from Samsung. Maybe Intel will be a better fit.

It will be a little while before I make a move on a new tab, so I will definitely check back to see if the i9 holds up for you.

A couple of questions I just thought on.
          Any issues with apps from Playstore, this being an Intel chip?
          &
          Does the front camera being off to the side make programs like Skype hard to use?

Thanks again.

Comment

Nice review! Makes me want one and is something different

Bob
            "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
            "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
            "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
            "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
            "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
            "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
            "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
            "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju Å¡to čine"
            "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
              Nice review! Makes me want one and is something different
              A nice device, indeed! Lately I have been thinking of finally getting myself a tablet and this one became a real competitor against PiPo M7Pro which has so far been my #1 choice.

Anyone working on a custom ROM for this?
              NVidia Shield TV 2015 16 GB || Stock
              NVidia Shield TV 2017 16 GB || Stock
              Buy me a beer?

Comment

Originally posted by Molle View Post
                A nice device, indeed! Lately I have been thinking of finally getting myself a tablet and this one became a real competitor against PiPo M7Pro which has so far been my #1 choice.

Anyone working on a custom ROM for this?

I highly recommend keeping away from any RK3188 device unless its 1280x800 or lower. It simply isn't up to the task.

I also recommend staying away from Pipo. I've had 3 tablets from them. All had extremely low flash memory speed and 2 had battery issues.

I would wait until the RK32xx SoC.
                For now this is the most ideal retina tablet.

Comment

I highly recommend keeping away from any RK3188 device unless its 1280x800 or lower. It simply isn't up to the task.

I also recommend staying away from Pipo. I've had 3 tablets from them. All had extremely low flash memory speed and 2 had battery issues.

I would wait until the RK32xx SoC.
                  For now this is the most ideal retina tablet.
                  Hi,

I own a Pipo M8pro RK3188, and I'm mostly satisified with it (though poor wifi and shutdown when in sleep and the battery is cold !) ...

I had the Ramos i9 for 10 days (I bought it as a gift for my family), I had time to tweak it alot.
                  The tablet is close to perfect (screen/performance/sound/design) :

- my main concern are some incompatibilities with few apps in the Playstore (but the apk can be download and installed with site like "apk downloader" (google)) - also a build.prop mod should sort it out (root needed).
                  - Sound is good (more bass than pipo which is also very good)
                  - lack of luminosity sensor is not very annoying (screen is a bit too bright to be long used in full dark but this can be sorted out with a software screen filter/dimmer)
                  - back camera is poor and front one is ok (compared to Pipo's).
                  - lack of hdmi is not a problem with Chromecast and similar hdmi dongles.
                  - the tablet seems more responsive than my pipo both loaded with a BTSync client

a custom rom with some tweakings (especially for playstore compatibility) would be great but I have seen no one working on this

Well to sum up, I would buy this Ramos i9 tablet anytime - if my Pipo should break/fall on the floor...

Comment

Originally posted by eljuggy View Post
                    Hi,

I own a Pipo M8pro RK3188, and I'm mostly satisified with it (though poor wifi and shutdown when in sleep and the battery is cold !) ...
                    My M8 Pro was not bad at all ...till I messed it up.

I bumped the power switch, damaging it ...on the way back to China as we type for a repair.

I did load Mr. Riley's custom rom. That seemed to sort out many small issues ...like the wi-fi and batt issues I was having.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaPanda View Post
                      My M8 Pro was not bad at all ...till I messed it up.

I bumped the power switch, damaging it ...on the way back to China as we type for a repair.

I did load Mr. Riley's custom rom. That seemed to sort out many small issues ...like the wi-fi and batt issues I was having.

I didn't have the M8Pro. I had the M8HD. If you read my previous replies you will see.
                      A HUGE difference. RK3188 just can't handle resolutions above 1280x800.

Comment

Originally posted by eljuggy View Post
                        Hi,

I had the Ramos i9 for 10 days (I bought it as a gift for my family), I had time to tweak it alot.
                        The tablet is close to perfect (screen/performance/sound/design) :

- my main concern are some incompatibilities with few apps in the Playstore (but the apk can be download and installed with site like "apk downloader" (google)) - also a build.prop mod should sort it out (root needed).
                        - Sound is good (more bass than pipo which is also very good)
                        - lack of luminosity sensor is not very annoying (screen is a bit too bright to be long used in full dark but this can be sorted out with a software screen filter/dimmer)
                        - back camera is poor and front one is ok (compared to Pipo's).
                        - lack of hdmi is not a problem with Chromecast and similar hdmi dongles.
                        - the tablet seems more responsive than my pipo both loaded with a BTSync client

a custom rom with some tweakings (especially for playstore compatibility) would be great but I have seen no one working on this

Well to sum up, I would buy this Ramos i9 tablet anytime - if my Pipo should break/fall on the floor...

If you want the root tool for the Ramos i9, PM me. I have it and its simple.

Comment

I didn't have the M8Pro. I had the M8HD. If you read my previous replies you will see.
                          A HUGE difference. RK3188 just can't handle resolutions above 1280x800.
                          Agree. I just was reading this thread at the moment.

Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

If you want the root tool for the Ramos i9, PM me. I have it and its simple.
                            I wrote PM you.

Comment

Hi,

I got this tablet since 4 days ago and so far it looks great but.... the mic volume on skype calls (also on sound recorder app but I don't care about it) is very low.

Every time I try to make an Skype call the person on the other side harldy can hear me unless I speak very close to the mic.
                              I'm afraid I'm not the only one with this issue and according to some comments in slatedroid I'm afraid it could be a common issue. Could anyone else test it?

Maybe it would be possible to edit some .conf file to improve the input volume gain, I don't know but I already listed my tablet for sale because of that

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X