Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The NEXBOX T10 Mini PC(Intel Z8300) - A User's Review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NEXBOX T10 Mini PC(Intel Z8300) - A User's Review...

On the bench today is the NEXBOX T10 Mini PC w/Intel Z8300(Cherry Trail) Quad-Core.
    Thanks to Gearbest for the review sample, it was packed well and arrived in good order.
    DHL delivered it quickly and without issue.

Specifications(advertised):
    - Intel Z8300(up to 1.84GHz) Quad-core CPU with Intel HD Graphics with HEVC(H.265).
    - 2GB DDR3L RAM
    - 32GB eMMC
    - WiFi 2.4GHz(AP6212), 802.11b / g / n, Internal Antenna
    - Bluetooth 4.0
    - 1xUSB 3.0
    - 3xUSB 2.0
    - 1xMicro USB OTG
    - Power adapter 5vdc@3A NOTE: US plug, EU plug, UK plug, AU plug, depending on the country of receipt.
    - Windows 10, 64 Bit, Installed, Activated and Licensed.
    - Additional ports include, 3.5mm mic jack, DC power input jack, HDMI output, LAN(RJ45), Micro SD card slot.
    - Installed languages include English and Simplified Chinese.

Physical Dimensions:
    - Product size (L x W x H): 11.80 x 11.80 x 1.50 cm / 4.65 x 4.65 x 0.59 inches.

Contents of package:
    1x NEXBOX T10 Mini PC, 1x HDMI Cable, 1x Power Adapter, 1x Printed English Manual.

Stock photos... Click image for larger version

Name:	1465783469493510.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	585456
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1465783471930618.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	585458

Some other photos...

The near "Plain brown wrapper" Retail package.

Bottom and Rear photos show case vents...

The printed Quick Start Guide...

Interior Case Bottom and Top... Click image for larger version

Name:	2is9wz5.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	585612

Motherboard and Cooler... Click image for larger version

Name:	2eb6clt.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	585611

The RTC Battery Connector and Unknown Connector to its right. The Antenna and RTC Battery... Click image for larger version

Name:	k0ncwg.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	585610

The Daughter Board(LED and power switch seen, note there is also another switch(?) on the motherboard), the Sticker and Samsung Storage Chip(opposite CPU side of PCB)... Click image for larger version

Name:	33tmal3.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	585609

Windows Activated...

Space available for your stuff and Storage options...

HWiNFO64 Overview...

More to come...

I came from a version of Windows that only me and Fred Flintstone still use.Click image for larger version

Name:	Fred-Flintstone-Using-His-Computer-22410.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	585938
    Having a full-function Mini PC in such a small, fanless package, is impressive.
    That it could be had for well under $100, even more so.
    I was waiting to make the jump to Windows 10, until I replaced my aging tower or laptop. Waiting was a mistake.
    If only I had known.
    Of course, I will still replace my aging devices, but until I do, the NEXBOX T10 is bringing me in to the modern Window's OS age.

The NEXBOX T10, pick your power adapter.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RISCy Dude; 08-02-2016, 07:43.

Just now starting to dive in and get a feel for it.
    It is a clean looking exterior, in the now ubiquitous, size, color and shape.
    An adequate printed English Quick Start Guide covers the basics such as, Features, Starting the first time, Specifications, etc.
    The T10 booted up in under a minute. And all seemed well.
    Setting up Windows 10 was uneventful, quick and easy.
    Five small updates were waiting. The updates were quickly downloaded and installed without drama.
    One of the updates was to WIndows Defender. A first-run scan flagged HackTools.
    I don't usually use Windows Defender an I am not familiar with its track-record, ref. detection or false positives.

I wanted to check thermal performance right off. I am testing the T10 using AIDA64 Extreme System Stability Test in two environments. First tests in the house, Ambient Temp ~22.8C.
    Second tests in the Cave(my tech space), Ambient Temp ~35C.

Results of first AIDA64 Extreme(Trial Ver.), System Stability Test(House) - Ambient Temp ~22.8C.
    First 20 minute test run with Stress GPU(s) unticked(default). Second 20 minute test with Stress GPU(s) ticked....

Up next, same tests, Cave runs - Ambient Temp ~35C.
    First 20 minute test run with Stress GPU(s) unticked(default). Second 20 minute test with Stress GPU(s) ticked....

In the following screenshots I let the GPU-ticked test continue for one hour. Then I continued the test with a centrifugal blower drawing on about half of the bottom case vents. Third screenshot when falling temps started to level off...

I really expected to see temps go higher in the Cave runs. While those temps are tolerable, the last two screenshots show much cooler running. So in the house, no fan is fine, however, in ambient temperature extremes like the cave, active cooling is clearly a benefit.

Network Test via Fast.com. Eth was pretty typical for the Cave. WiFi was a bit underwhelming. Likely the result of the diminutive internal antenna. Bluetooth worked well, no problems noted at ~3 meters.
    Some numbers, from left to right, Eth, WiFi. Also seen CrystalDiskMark-Read/Write test.

AIDA64 GPGPU Benchmark result...

A fast-paced() video of boot up, look around, power down...See it here.

Ran AnTuTu before I added many apps to the T10, no additional Anti-Virus or Firewall software installed.

Ran AnTuTu again after I installed several apps and with Avira Anti-Virus(Free) and ZoneAlarm(Free) running.

So we can see the additional overhead slows the box a small amount, but in use, it is not really noticeable.

The Wrap-Up...
    I have been using the NEXBOX T10 for a few weeks. For the price of this box, I remain impressed. For many, a PC that can do things like HD Youtube videos, web surfing, social networking, email, Kodi, etc., is enough. The T10 is up to the task. And it does so for a song(read bargain).

Please feel free to ask questions if additional info is needed.

-RISCy Dude
    Last edited by RISCy Dude; 08-09-2016, 08:12. Reason: Conclude review.

Comment

Link to order? 32 gig really nice size. Not much of windows guy here but think would run linux distro with no issue. Waiting on your review..
      Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Thanks. Link added. I am anxious to try some LiveCD(USB)Linux distos too. Also like to try the Remix OS Live as well as Android X86 distros.
        All in good time, still evaluating the essentials. Had to take a pause for weekend chores(mowing, gutters, etc). Back on it in a few.

Comment

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS running from LiveUSB. Easy, no hassles noted. More Distro testing to come....

Update:It seems Intel does not support Audio over HDMI for Linux, on the Z8300. Workarounds exist, I have not tried any. Generic USB Sound Card works.
          Update 2: See here.(post #52)
          On board WiFi and Bluetooth do not work. A workaround may exist, I did not look. External USB Bluetooth works. External USB WiFi dongle works.
          I had the same results running Ubuntu Studio. No surprise, as it is based on 16.04.

Also ran Android-X86(6.0 rc1) from USB 2.0 flash drive. A bit slow to get going, though I admit, the drive was not a fast one.

Last edited by RISCy Dude; 11-07-2016, 04:05.

Comment

Posted a video in the second post.

Comment

WOW!!!!!!! great review, thanks.
              MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Chores? ( remember son asking Why does he have to cut my grass and wipper snip??? Because 15 years ago me and your mom noticed it keeps growning so we said lets have a kid and make him do it? Thats why ) He started to like me again when he turned 20. 😁

Sweet review.
                Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
                  Chores? ( remember son asking Why does he have to cut my grass and wipper snip??? Because 15 years ago me and your mom noticed it keeps growning so we said lets have a kid and make him do it? Thats why ) He started to like me again when he turned 20. 😁

Sweet review.
                  I love that, still chuckling.
                  MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post
                    WOW!!!!!!! great review, thanks.
                    Thank you. I will still be adding some additional commentary as it develops.

scooter2014 Haha! Some of my earliest memories also include taking out the trash, I don't think my sisters ever took out a single bag.
                    I remember I was so excited when dad brought home the toy push mower, little did I know it was not a toy, but a training aid.

Comment

Hi, would this box be OK for Kodi?
                      Im wondering I could run Kodi from inside Ubuntu as I would like to run Logitech Media server for music sharing on it too, using the USB3 port and an external HD
                      Would that be realistic?

Comment

Hello doobree, I will look further in to Kodi on Ubuntu. If I remember correctly, Kodi runs fine in Win10 on this box. The T10's max HDMI output resolution is 1080p if that matters to you.

doobree
                        Update: It seems Intel did not release Linux audio drivers for the Z8300(Ref HDMI Audio). I have seen some possible workarounds, all 2-channel audio at this point. When running Ubuntu(USB Boot), as it is, I could get audio with a USB sound card, but had no luck over HDMI.
                        Kodi seems to work well in Win10 on the NEXBOX T10.
                        Last edited by RISCy Dude; 07-31-2016, 04:47. Reason: Update.

Comment

RISCy Dude
                          thanks for the info. I only need 1080 for the TV it would be used for so that's fine. Not sure about running Windows 24/7 without antivirus and firewall software which would probably bring this box to its knees...

Comment

I have not run it 24/7, but I did install A/V software and a firewall. The A/V software is said to be pretty light, load-wise. Trying Avira A/V and ZoneAlarm, both are free versions. Played a 4K(2160@24fps) on YT from the Edge browser, it worked well.
                            The YT Video played was *****THE BEST 4K Aquarium Video(Uscenes), looks good.
                            Walmart.com can be a slow load on some low powered PCs, but it loads quickly, even with the A/V and F/W.
                            I played a couple of rounds of miniclip's 8 Ball Pool, loaded quickly and played well. I won two, lost 1.
                            Kodi seems to work well as long as you don't go nuts with the F/F and R/W. Navigation through Kodi menus is reasonably quick.

So while Anti-Virus and Firewall may slow the box, they have not brought it to a crawl. Mostly not noticeable in use. Kodi still plays 4K video without issue.
                            Like most Window's boxes with 2GB RAM, seems as long as you don't do too much at once, it runs pretty good. All expected.
                            Last edited by RISCy Dude; 08-09-2016, 07:39.

Comment

I have posted a couple of AnTuTu scores in post #2. The two scores reflect reflect the difference having a software Firewall and Anti-Virus software make to the results.

Comment

Working...
                              X