Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Beelink R68 II(AML S912) - A User's Review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beelink R68 II(AML S912) - A User's Review...

Today we're having a look at the Beelink R68 II TV Box, equipped with an Amlogic S912 SoC and 2GB/32GB(RAM/Storage).
    I would like to thank Gearbest for providing the R68 II. Of course, DHL proves once again that teleportation might be overrated.

Features
    -Language: Multi -language
    -CPU: Amlogic S912 Octa Core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
    -GPU: ARM Mali-T820MP3 GPU up to 750MHz(DVFS)
    -RAM: DDR3 2GB
    -ROM: Onboard eMMC Flash 32GB
    -Ethernet: 1000Mbps LAN
    -WIFI: IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac,2.4G+5.8G+ac
    -BT: 4.0
    -Antenna: External WiFi antenna
    -Expand Memory: SD Card (Maximum support 64GB)

Ports
    -1*DC in Port
    -USB2.0: 3 USB Ports
    -HDMI 2.0 Port
    -RJ45(1000Mbps network connection)
    -Optical SPDIF (5.1CH)
    -SD Card Slot, Full-sized
    -Power LED two - color

Some images from Beelink...
    Note:According to Google, "EIGENSCHAFTEN" is German for CHARACTERISTICS.

What's in the box...

A look inside....

The Beelink R68 II is available from Gearbest with one of three types of AC Adapters.

Last edited by RISCy Dude; 03-28-2017, 20:46.

where the review....
    MINIX U1, MINI MXIII, MINI MXIII II, GT1, SEA I

Comment

This box represents many "firsts" for me,....First Beelink,... First S912,... First Octa-Core and First Android 6. And yet it still seems familiar. Still a bit to absorb.

The R68 II uses a Netxeon PCBA.

The alloy box feels nice in the hands, has a good weight to it. It has a quality look and feel. On the bottom, four self-adhesive rubber pads, serve as both the screw covers and the feet of the R68 II.

The power LED is fairly bright when viewed straight on. Could be too bright for some, off-angle it is not as bright. When the box is off, the LED is off, which I consider a plus. Another plus IMO, this box shuts fully down when off, USB ports no longer supply 5vdc.

The remote seems to work well, to the limit of IR remotes.

Note: There is a small disk of protective film on the box's IR window, of course this is to be removed by the user.
      A curiosity: The Ugoos UT3+ remote works 100% on the R68 II, as far as I can tell.

All the ports are well aligned with their case openings, I have experienced no "too-tight" fits.
      The Full-sized card slot is not spring-loaded, a simple push to insert the card, a simple pull to remove the card.
      This leaves a good bit of the card exposed. The slot is a bit of a snug fit for some cards or adapters, but has not been a problem.

This box runs pretty cool, have not seen temps over ~58C no matter what the box is doing. Box idles around ~35C This is in a room with an ambient temp of 24C~26C, so pretty cool runner indeed.
      Usually when I see no vents on a box, I squeal like a kid who shut their fingers in the car door, but I must make an exception for the R68 II.

Upon booting, I checked for an update, a tiny update of ~25MB was waiting. The OTA installed without issue.

The R68 II is rooted. I installed SuperSu and it updated without issue.
      Standard LightHome Launcher.

An app app, called APP4TV, KodiMate(unofficial add-on manager) and Fishing Joy(Game) are the only non-standard superfluous apps installed.
      Of course this box has 32GB with better than 25GB free, so leaving these apps won't put you out space-wise. I removed them.
      Note: I added AIDA64, CPU-Z, Quick Edit, RAM Truth and WiFi Analyzer...

The installed Kodi 16.1 has Navi-X among the add-ons. If I'm not mistaken, KodiMate can install most of the add-ons that lack official support through Kodi. I have not had a great Dolby passthough audio experience with this version of Kodi. I will be trying some other Kodi variants on this box.

The R68 II feels pretty snappy so far. I have observed no anomalies or unscheduled reboots, so far.
      Some Info(2 Frames)..

CPU-Z(4 Frames)...

Some Numbers(5 frames)...

More soon...Awaiting update from Beelink....No ETA.
      Last edited by RISCy Dude; 03-28-2017, 20:48.

Comment

Original Firmwares for the R68 II, links from Beelink...

-For SD card.
        Beelink R68 II 106_Mo_sdcard

-For USB Burning Tool.
        Beelink R68 II 106_Mo_IMG

Beelink's R68 II forum.
        Last edited by RISCy Dude; 12-04-2016, 07:51.

Comment

Wish they would quit adding those pirate addons. Also, by now, having Dolby and DTS passthrough from inside Kodi should be a given, and if not, they should be given a failing score.

Everything else looks pretty good, but not for $80 US, even with 2/32 gigs of memory. Also, would be nice if they produced a Android TV version, similar to Ugoos. Since they are trying to make the remote look like an official Android TV box remote (Nexus Player and the Mi box), they could at least make it a bluetooth remote.

Since I have purchased so many of these boxes, and each generation getting better, the bar is getting very high for me.

Bottom line, I would not purchase this box for even less that $50, the competition is too great to settle for these unnecessary flaws.

But, again, thanks for the awesome and honest review. Also, I believe you are a strong supporter of the Ugoos boxes, perhaps you can compare this box to your Ugoos.
          MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Just flash this firmware to my GT1.. nothing wonder..

spmc crash during close ( mouse slow respond )
            kodi 17 movie dark

Comment

Originally posted by KAA View Post
              Just flash this firmware to my GT1.. nothing wonder..

spmc crash during close ( mouse slow respond )
              kodi 17 movie dark
              You flashing wrong firmware g1 you need Superceleron Alfwise custom firmware. Once installed. We take no responsiblity for that deer in the head lights look you do when things just work.

Ftmc actually in firmware. Ohhhhh yes Superceleron put all those fixes into that kodi build too. All that for free and a hope once you loose that deer in the head lights look you see that Dev DONATE button.

support our Devs.
              Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

I was going to comment about that also but you beat me to it.
                Well something different to try I guess.
                treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Nice review Risky. Glad you can get the box open seems to be difficult for others

Thank god it wasnt make in russia ay. butaforiya.

Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Hello clarkss12, I don't care for the unofficial add-ons either. In this case, only Navi-x was actually installed, so I guess that's a bit better compared to some.

Hopefully Beelink sees your post. ATV would be nice for some. BT remote, also nice. I would not mind seeing a Remix variant too.

Yes, the bar certainly is rising. Getting harder and harder for makers to distinguish themselves these days.

Hopefully Beelink stays on top of this box. I know we tend to expect more support-longevity with boxes as the price goes up.

Thanks. Review is still ongoing, I will add and amend as I go.

I am a fan of their 3288 boxes, though lately they seem to have spread themselves a little thin. I do not have any experience with non-3288 Ugoos devices, though I have tried their AM1 F/W on the S95 Meta. It had the DD dropouts on the S95, but may work better on the AM1.

Comment

KAA I removed the installed Kodi, trying this 17 nightly(kodi-20161202-1f9756d-Krypton-armeabi-v7a.apk) now. So far no DD audio dropouts, working well generally. I have not seen the dark movie in 17. But I also don't remember seeing it in the supplied Kodi. So don't know what's up with that.

Comment

Thanks, review is ongoing.

Originally posted by scooter2014 View Post
                        Nice review Risky. Glad you can get the box open seems to be difficult for others

..... [/h]
                        Well thanks again, but most of the credit goes to the screwdriver really, I only played a small supporting role.

trebor I have seen yours, Scooter's and other's praise for the Superceleron ROM. Going to have to try it on this box, if suitable.

Comment

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post
                          Thanks, review is ongoing.

Well thanks again, but most of the credit goes to the screwdriver really, I only played a small supporting role.

trebor I have seen yours, Scooter's and other's praise for the Superceleron ROM. Going to have to try it on this box, if suitable.
                          Firmware same as GT1 s912 9377 date 24/10/16... mean you can flash rom from superceleron

Comment

Thanks KAA. I will give it a go soon.

Comment

Posted a brief video.

Like it's my first one ever man, critics, please take a holiday.
                              Actually it is the second, I was afraid the first may have excited some content owner's lawyer and deleted it.

Last edited by RISCy Dude; 12-08-2016, 08:48.

Comment

Working...
                              X