Strauzo Fallout - Reservations about Freaktab Privacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strauzo Fallout - Reservations about Freaktab Privacy

After viewing the melodrama between Strauzo and the Freaktab mods I was disappointed to find that private/sensitive information was being posted to open public forums by Freaktab admins in a retaliatory and predatory fashion that served no useful technical purpose.

~ http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post140635 | http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...l=1#post140640

Along with IP logs, partial or full messages sent using private message functions on Freaktab domains were posted in public.

This appears to be a severe violation of administrative privileges and trust. Users should be secure in knowing that sensitive, personal or private data will not be abused or disseminated for non-administrative purposes due to a disagreement with a Freaktab mod, even if the disagreement is predicated on the alleged or proven violation of terms of use by a user. There are many reasons why such protections should be respected. The alleged perpetrator may not be the only one affected by such exposure.

Many jurisdictions have privacy protections in place, and most users will agree that private or personally identifiable information should not be used in a predatory or retaliatory fashion. I enjoy my time on Freaktab and wish this was only a one-off learning experience (both in securing servers/privacy policy) for all involved. That being said, I am at a crossroads about my involvement as a user here after this event. The entire saga also brings about questions of what was really accessed, and overall data security on Freaktab, another reason why I question the public handling of such a sensitive matter.

It's a tough situation and I can see things got heated and emotional. I don't want to add to any of that drama or ill-ill, I'm only chiming in with my viewpoint as an objective, third-party (new) user on the site.

I don't believe IP addresses are personal identifiable information. Well that may depend on the country and laws.

But for the sake of argument, I removed them from the posts.

Thanks for caring.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Shomari View Post
      The entire saga also brings about questions of what was really accessed, and overall data security on Freaktab, another reason why I question the public handling of such a sensitive matter.
      Also let me explain about data access.

All the people promoted to Dev's here used our FTP server. This is a stand alone server for FTP of ROM files only. We all shared a common FTP login. Strauzo had this information as he was a Dev here as of late last year. When we booted him, we also should have changed the login to the FTP server. This is how he was able to do what he did. Lesson learned!

We have as of today set all Dev's with their own user name and password so if ever a Dev leaves, etc, they will not be able to effect another Dev's rom files.

I hope that explains it.

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Thanks, and sorry you had to go through this entire ordeal.

Comment

Working...
        X