"Best" Tablets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Best" Tablets?

I'd like some opinions on the "Best" Android tablets available at the moment. Before you pop off your personal favorite, please take a moment to consider what I've experienced and what I mean by "Best".

My first Android experience is my wife's Kindle Fire. Her sister gave it to her for her birthday last year (almost exactly a year ago). I was vaguely interested in it because of its Linux roots, but my wife was adamant about my not playing with its OS internals (She'll never let me live down bricking an MP3 player several years back), so I only looked at it a little and didn't really experience the Fire. But she absolutely fell in love with it. She used to lug a laptop everywhere. Not anymore. Just the Kindle. For my (early) birthday this year, she bought me on of the Polaroid PMID701i x10 's from Big Lots. I've had it about 3 months now, and I'm an addict. Now I want to dig in and really play with my 701i, but I'm too dependent on it to risk "breaking" it. So I want a new tab for my "main" tab to do all the Android things an end-user might want a tab for, and I want to use the 701i as an Android internals learning toy. While I'm at it picking up a new tab, I'd like to get one that fixes a few of the less than awesome things about the 701i that have bugged me:

1) No camera. I'd really like a camera(front preferable, back acceptable, both would be bonus), so I can do my YouTube videos from it and drop the laptop I still lug around for that task.

2) Low RAM. The 701i x10 appears to suffer badly from its low RAM using ICS. I'm guessing I want the new tab to have roughly 1GB.

3) Funky G-sensor: the 701i x10's g sensor appears to have its axis swapped from what many apps expect. Would be nice if the new tab was more standard/compatible here.

4) Single-core processor: This is listed last, because I'm not sure how important it is. The 701i has a single-core processor. Many newer tablets have dual-core processors. This could conceivably help performance a lot allowing the OS to use a core and the foreground app could get a core mostly to itself and run more smoothly.

Additionally, I'd like the new tab to be one widely adopted. One that has many very good hackers playing on it. Based purely on posts here at Freaktab, I'd say that the Archos/Arnova tabs seem to be the likely choice for this "requirement".

And finally, I'm not rich. No Transformer Prime recommendations. I think my budget is about $200 max.

So recommendations anyone?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Get what I just got for $228. The Yuandao N101. It's awesome for the price! It has a few bugs but I will fix those over time

The Cube 30 is the same hardware but also looks good.

Oh and let me ask.... you want 7" or larger? As it does matter!

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I think 7" seems about optimum, Bob. If it was too much bigger, it would start to develop laptop like portability profiles. I think 10" is about the biggest I might consider, and smaller than 7" is too small, period.

Thanks for that fast reply!

Comment

Originally posted by renegade4dio View Post
        I think 7" seems about optimum, Bob. If it was too much bigger, it would start to develop laptop like portability profiles. I think 10" is about the biggest I might consider, and smaller than 7" is too small, period.

Thanks for that fast reply!
        Have a look at this 7inch cube for the price and can recommend the company to buy from great service

http://www.in4dealz.com/deals/Cube-U18GT-Elite-7-Inch-Android-4-0-Tablet-PC-Capacitive-HD-Screen--1024-600-RK2918-1-2GHz-1G-RAM-8GB--Black-600142/

And there is the Cube dual core that looks nice

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
        Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
        <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
        <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
        <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
        https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
        </form>

Comment

Dude, that is sick for only 90 beans american.
          "May the Schwartz be with you"

Comment

Working...
          X