Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Operating System(s) do you run on your PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Operating System(s) do you run on your PC?

Hello everyone at FreakTab, I made this poll to see what operating system(s) you guys preferred and why you use it! Remember that this poll let's you pick more than one option!
    Mac OSX [Please specify what version and why you use it!]
    5.00%
    Older Mac OS version than OSX [Please specify the version and why you use it!]
    0%
    Other Unix (PC) [Please specify the distro in the comments section and why you use it!]
    0%
    Android Port (PC) (example: android x86) [Please specify what android and why you use it!]
    0%
    Linux Distro (PC) [Please specify the distro in the comments section and why you use it!]
    40.00%
    Windows (PC) [Please specify what version and why you use it]
    55.00%
    Other OS [Please specify what os, version, and why you use it!]
    0%
    Last edited by AndroidFanatic; 11-24-2014, 20:31.
    "I am a fan of android and other tech stuff like windows and linux on the desktop! I will contribute what I can to the FreakTab community, but only, what I'm willing to" -AndroidFanatic

Linux Distro: Ubuntu
    • 14.04 LTS
      • Because, it was required for some of the tools I use to make Custom Roms and because it lags less than windows 7!

Windows:
      • Because, it was the one that was the market leader, and thus has the most software released for it, but that may change in the future if a linux distro ever takes off into the mainstream PC market!
    "I am a fan of android and other tech stuff like windows and linux on the desktop! I will contribute what I can to the FreakTab community, but only, what I'm willing to" -AndroidFanatic

Comment

Well..
      i use android device.. most of the time (work days) at home

at work my main os is Win10 preview currently with Vista (deepfreezed) as dualboot
      -i also use sandboxie as security layer
      -i also have a multi-boot usb stick (winpe/linux/... with all tools needed) encase of hw fail ( usb3toMsata 128gb)

sat/sun my game rig is booted win7 (modded/tweaked/oc/h2o/sli)
      -farsonic deepfreezed.. to keep os "fresh" , os on ssd / everthing else on harddisk, game loaded to ramdisk

online banking/ shopping is done on a atom pc running Ubuntu 14.10 / with android 4.3 x86 as dualboot option
      -with a back-uped live-boot usb version, incase of hw fail

anyway..
      i have used many os's.. in my life (beos/os2warp/openbsd/suse/redhat/netware/..)
      So, any OS should do.. just fine

Comment

Okay, you wanted the complete list and why...

WinXP
        because it is the only windows system, which works finally with my android devices and I have some audio aplications for xp. Win7 moves like a tank after some using, so audio latency is bad.

Win7, because XP is dying slowly.

no Win8, because I'm lucky there is no need so far.

Ubuntu Studio 14.04 for low latency and music

and kubuntu 14.10 on my chrombook dual system.

JD
        Last edited by JDfense; 11-25-2014, 05:35.

Comment

I have an Acer V3 731-4446 laptop w/17" screen because my old eyes need something big.

It came with Windows 8.0...so I just stuck with it. All of the drivers seem to work. I refuse to upgrade to 8.1 each time it nags me.

For Linux, I'm running Ubuntu Studio 13.04 via VirtualBox.

I'm in the process of slowly migrating over to a new VirtualBox with Ubuntu Studio 14.04...but I'm not quite sold on it yet.
          Randy
          Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
          Read my BIO Here
          Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
          Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
            I have an Acer V3 731-4446 laptop w/17" screen because my old eyes need something big.

It came with Windows 8.0...so I just stuck with it. All of the drivers seem to work. I refuse to upgrade to 8.1 each time it nags me.

For Linux, I'm running Ubuntu Studio 13.04 via VirtualBox.

I'm in the process of slowly migrating over to a new VirtualBox with Ubuntu Studio 14.04...but I'm not quite sold on it yet.
            I dual boot Ubuntu (installed xubuntu-desktop, and UbuntuStudio Installer packages on top of it! So I have the best of those three flavors of Ubuntu)
            • Ubuntu provided the most Dev tool support
            • Xubuntu-desktop gave me the Xubuntu look and feel without sacrificing the Dev tool support of ubuntu
            • UbuntuStudio Installer enabled me to add what's in Ubuntu studio on top of Ubuntu without installing that version from scratch!

Please reply back with what you think of this, rrileypm!

Comment

As long as the tools work...it's pretty much up to you.

I tried several different distro's before I settled on Ubuntu Studio at the suggestion of Leolas...for me it seemed better than just plain Ubuntu.

Other than ROM development...I don't do much else in Linux...so I really haven't taken much time to explore all of the bells and whistles.
              Randy
              Read my BIO Here
              Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
              Donate here

Comment

Did you know you can actually mix the packages from the different Ubuntu flavors like that?

As long as the tools work...it's pretty much up to you.

I tried several different distro's before I settled on Ubuntu Studio at the suggestion of Leolas...for me it seemed better than just plain Ubuntu.

Other than ROM development...I don't do much else in Linux...so I really haven't taken much time to explore all of the bells and whistles.
                Just wondering! I was surprised the packages needed for that were in the official repositories! ☺

Comment

That's why an Ubuntu base is important for developers to work with.
                  Randy
                  Read my BIO Here
                  Donate here

Comment

That's why an Ubuntu base is important for developers to work with.
                    Because those easy to setup distributions like Ubuntu have multiple flavors (which in reality is just a different default desktop environment and applications suite suited for different computers and users)! In the end all those flavors by canonical have one thing in common, they all share a Ubuntu/Debian base! Wonder why you stuck with windows instead of trying to do more task with Linux!

Comment

I use different versions of Linux, stopped using windows when they started activation, XP is the only windows I have, it's on a small harddrive that I keep, boot it up when I can't get Linux to do something on android.
                      Other than having to sometimes use xp to work on androids, I don't use windows, can't stand it really.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by vampirefo View Post
                        I use different versions of Linux, stopped using windows when they started activation, XP is the only windows I have, it's on a small harddrive that I keep, boot it up when I can't get Linux to do something on android.
                        Other than having to sometimes use xp to work on androids, I don't use windows, can't stand it really.

Ubuntu was unstable in a virtual machine, so I had to install it on a seperate partition in a dual boot! That OS is mostly unusable in a VM anyways! It's always better for it to directly run on real hardware, IMO!

Comment

Re: Which Operating System(s) do you run on your PC?

Originally posted by AndroidFanatic View Post
                          Ubuntu was unstable in a virtual machine, so I had to install it on a seperate partition in a dual boot! That OS is mostly unusable in a VM anyways! It's always better for it to directly run on real hardware, IMO!
                          I have never run a VM, I have 3 hard drives in my computer, 1 hard drive boots Ubuntu an Mint, Second hard drive boots
                          Mepis and Pclinux, 3 hard drive boots XP.

XP has been started 10 times this year, last time was to root my Dell Venue 8, cause Linux fastboot wouldn't detect my Dell or any intel, once I rooted my Dell, I was able to build a Linux fastboot binary that works on Intel.

Comment

My best Ubuntu flavor combination for compatibility, speed, and low-latency

Originally posted by vampirefo View Post
                            I have never run a VM, I have 3 hard drives in my computer, 1 hard drive boots Ubuntu an Mint, Second hard drive boots
                            Mepis and Pclinux, 3 hard drive boots XP.

XP has been started 10 times this year, last time was to root my Dell Venue 8, cause Linux fastboot wouldn't detect my Dell or any intel, once I rooted my Dell, I was able to build a Linux fastboot binary that works on Intel.

I wonder why some of these ROM developers crawl back to windows after using a linux distro to make their Roms! Windows tends to hang at times while most of the Linux distros I tried didn't (I right now use Ubuntu with Xubuntu-desktop and UbuntuStudio packages installed for less latency!) Try that combination if you want, I came up with it to get the best out of those Ubuntu flavors!

Comment

Re: Which Operating System(s) do you run on your PC?

Originally posted by AndroidFanatic View Post
                              I wonder why some of these ROM developers crawl back to windows after using a linux distro to make their Roms! Windows tends to hang at times while most of the Linux distros I tried didn't (I right now use Ubuntu with Xubuntu-desktop and UbuntuStudio packages installed for less latency!) Try that combination if you want, I came up with it to get the best out of those Ubuntu flavors!
                              I can't say why people switch back to windows, could be they never really switched to Linux in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X