I JUST SHIMMED MY BLACKPHONE BP1 BECAUSE IT WAS OVER HEATING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I JUST SHIMMED MY BLACKPHONE BP1 BECAUSE IT WAS OVER HEATING

I've just shimmed my SilentCircle blackphone BP1 because it was overheating,don't ever buy one,their customer support is a bismal in relation to warranty buying from a 3rd party there is none,they refused me because I bought it on aliexpress,even though it was retail boxed sealed and new? Any way I opened it with some difficulty,I tore off the sh@t alloy heatshield and grabbed a 0.5mm density shim for laptop cpu's pasted the tegra soc and shim both sides and locktite extra strong glued it on,I then ripped the battery out and used a sheet of copper off a ML370 G4 HP Proliant server heatsink,one of the wafer grills off the heatsink,I then chopped the edges that stuck up off and made good theheight to fit the battery tray I then glued that in.Now it's way smoother and doesn't yet black screen everything from folder surfing to signing into the dual password logins to writing messages is miles faster,f@ck silent circles warranty I fixed that sh@t my self better than they could,all they said is update it and so on,which doesn't stop over heating issues on any single device.The moral of this story is don't buy third party with Blackphones bp1 or bp2 and the BP1 sucks serious monkey nuts because they burn out 18 moths later at least mine nearly did any way so I'm going by my handset to cast judgement on them.It's the first shim mod I have ever done to a phone and it's seemingly brought it back to life and then some.

I just went all in and fully modded the entire chipset,here's a link to imgur gallery the old 15000 score is now doubled by this mod as you see it's now 30000+ score in antutu http://imgur.com/a/fQL6N[
    Last edited by PHYSC; 08-24-2016, 11:30.
    What is the world if you don't explore?

What do you mean by "shimmed"?

Comment

Originally posted by ukbb View Post
      What do you mean by "shimmed"?
      Shimming is the process of adding copper shims or plate copper to chips to dissapate heat this allows for better cooling, it's a type of hard mod seen often in laptops that have overheating issues but I do play with every droid box in this way and add heatsinks and fans quite often, like the current mxq pro 4k box I have now, my emish x800 broke down, so bought that mxq pro heated the glued heatsink removed it, cut up some copper fins from the ml370 g4 proliant server computer heatsink I have out back, cleaned the soc up of the remaining glue pasted all chips the copper I was using could cover with thermal paste, then glued the copper sheets over the chips, I then pasted the plates and glued on heatsinks to that, and bored holes in the plastic lid and added a 80mm case fan on a 5v power supply (old phone charger) this lets my box stay on all day current temp being left 3 days solid whilst writing this is 24c aposed to would be burnt out likely, I can play gta sa lag free and dead trigger 2 and shadowgun deadzone with 0 lag it's off the hook considering it's got a miniscule 1gb ram, but it's navigating menus and menus or folder surfing as I call it is now absolutely rapid it's pretty much lag free in all aspects no timing out in browsers or games or any app, it can stay on indefinately at those temps and never break a sweat even at times of gaming in gta it's lucky if it hits 30c and that's 3 days solid left on or streaming when not playing solidly, this is the reason I do this to every box I am pretty adept to it, just wish I knew how to build custom roms to be fair I'd love to build up a kodi based arcade rom and give it away, I have however repurposed the build I used to solely play apps and emulators directly from the menu, only problem there is the mxq pro 4k is sh@t at emulating n64 it's useless at that , but yeah shimming is a form of hacking called modding as I suppose is software modding flashing custom roms, making roms is rom development still I suppose a form of modding?
      What is the world if you don't explore?

Comment

Working...
      X