The T11 comes in a sturdy cardboard box. Included with it are
    • Euro power supply
    • USB cable
    • Headphones
    • Screen protector
    • A 'sleeve' that covers the rear and sides
    • Some NFC labels
    • Colour getting started booklet in english
    • Also included are a UK adapter for the charger, and a cheap plastic wrap around case. Surprisingly I expect these to be really useful to me.

First impressions

The first thing I noticed on picking up the T11 is how light it is compared to my Motorola RAZR I. After removing the film from the screen you're greeted with a glossy black front. The front camera is visible to the left of the top bezel with a slot for the speaker centred in the top bezel. The screen itself takes up most of the front of the phone, the top and bottom bezels being about 1 and 1.5 centimetres deep, left and right bezels are just a few millimetres wide.

On the right edge is the power button and a rocker button on the left. These are textured and give a good response. Somehow, not certain why, they do feel a little cheap.

On the bottom of the phone is a small hole, presumably a microphone and a narrow slot to facilitate removal of the back cover.

The back cover is a dark charcoal grey textured plastic. This is both attractive and provides good grip. Rear camera and flash are to the top left, and some slots near the lower left for speaker. All the phones branding, thl logo and slogan 'Technology . Happy . Life', is on the back cover. This is subdued and does not detract from the phone.

So far so good I like what I have seen.

Setting up
    The rear cover is easily removed starting from the slot on the bottom edge and working carefully around from this. Visible on the inside of the back cover are two pairs of contacts and a couple of what appear to be areas of black tape, these are presumably the aerials. The battery takes up just over half the space. After removing the battery SIMs and micro SD card can be inserted. From left to right are a full size SIM slot, micro SD and micro sim slot, I loaded up all of these.

The battery has some film across the contacts that needs removing. Not as obvious is the film over the rear camera. I found it after my first disappointing picture.

Replacing the rear cover is easy, just gently work around the edge doing up the clips.

Pressing the power button for a few seconds soon had the THL logo displaying followed by the boot animation and sound and shortly after android 4.2.2. First impressions of the screen during set-up are very positive.

Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of set-up of android. At the top of settings is a SIM management option allowing easy control as to which SIM to use for voice, video, messaging and data. All very familiar and easy to access and configure. Again the screen continues to impress.

On the lower bezel are three capacitative buttons, these light up when any of them are pressed. Their icons/functions are menu, home and back. A long press of home brings up the standard android task switcher. These buttons are either lit or totally invisible so their functions needs to be remembered. Swapping between devices does cause a little confusion.

Headline features
    I was attracted to this phone due to the processor, memory, screen and price.

The processor is a MediaTek MT6592 octa core processor running at 1.7 GHz and combining a Mali 450 MP4 GPU running at 700MHz. If your apps are compiled to take advantage of all the cores (chrome and antutu being two exceptions) you should see excellent performance. The Mali 450 is a reasonable GPU.

The T11 has 2GB DDR and 16 GB ROM further expandable by supporting SD cards up to 32 GB. This should meet all my needs. The 16 GB is split 6GB for for apps with the remainder for pictures downloads etc. This seems a good balance to me. it's also easy to choose the default storage location from system, storage.

The screen is 1280 x 720 5 inch IPS display. It's bright sharp, viewable from wide angle and a very impressive piece of kit.

Price, retail is about $230 with shipping, you can pay more for faster shipping. I brought mine from 1949deal.com and am happy with the experience. Order was placed 29 April, including paying for three day DHL shipping, just before a public holiday in China. I received the T11 on 12 May.

Specifications
    Model THL T11
    Band 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    3G: WCDMA 850/1900/2100MHz
    Sim Card Dual SIM Card Dual Standby
    Service Provide Unlocked
    Style Bar
    Color Black
    Shell Material Plastic
    System
    OS Android 4.2
    nt-size: small;">CPU MTK6592, Cortex A7 octa core, 1.7GHz; GPU: Mali-450 MP4
    ROM 16GB
    RAM 2GB
    Screen
    Display Size 5.0 Inch
    Type HD IPS Capacitive Multi-touch Screen, Corning Gorilla Glass, OGS
    Resolution 1280 x 720 pixels
    Support Format
    Ringtones Type Polyphonic/MP3
    Audio File Format MP3/WAV/AMR/AWB
    Video File Format 3GP/MPEG4
    Image File Format JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/GIF
    E-book Format TXT/CHM/DOC/HTML
    FM Radio Yes, earphone needed
    EarphonePort 3.5mm
    Card Extend Support 32G tf card extend
    Data Transfer & Connectivity
    Data transfer USB/Bluetooth
    Mobile internet WAP/WIFI
    General
    Camera/Picture Resolution Dual Cameras, 5.0MP front camera; 8.0MP back camera with flashlight
    and auto focus
    Language English, Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Melayu, Deutsch, Espanol, French,
    Italiano, Nederlands, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Turkish, Greek, Russian,
    Arabic, Persian, Hindi, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese
    Phonebook 500
    Message SMS/MMS
    Input Handwrite/Keypad
    TV No
    GPS Yes, built in, also support A-GPS
    With EPO assistance to speed up postioning
    JAVA No
    WIFI Yes, 802.11 b/g/n
    Bluetooth Yes
    Gravity Sensor Yes
    Multi-Touch Yes
    Dimensions 144.3 x 70.4 x 8.4mm
    Net Weight(Including battery) 145g
    Standby Time About 2~3 days
    Other Feature 3G, MP3,MP4,calculator,ES file management, stopwatch,calender,alarm clock, Google play,E-mail, G-mail, OTG, NFC,etc.
    Package
    Size 158 x 85 x 77mm
    Weight about 400g
    Accessories 1 x 2750mAh Battery
    1 x User Manual
    1 x USB Cable
    1 x Charger
    1 x 3.5mm Earphone
    1 x Screen Protector
    1 x Back Case Cover
    Screen
    To me the five inch 1280 by 720 pixel multi touch IPS screen is the single most impressive thing about this phone.

Prior to the T11 I've used android phones when I am out and about but always reached for either my laptop or a tablet when I'm at home. Now I tend to just use the T11 unless I really need a keyboard, windows or Linux. Since the T11 was delivered I've only used my Nexus 7 2013 while I've had the T11 connected to the laptop (rooting, backup,flashing cwm etc). This is largely as I find the screen so easy on the eye. If I'm not careful I catch my self activating the T11 so I can gaze at the unlock screen.

Sound
    The two speakers produce plenty of volume. There's no need to have the volume on full. Playing music or watching films on Netflix can show some distortion of sound if the volume is too high. I've also tested the included inner ear headphones both for listing to radio through the FM tuner and music via play music. Overall I'm pleased with the capabilities.

Cameras
    The T11 has a 5 mega pixel front facing camera and an 8 mega pixel rear facing camera. I'm no photographer but am happy enough with the quality of the images taken.

GPS
    Reading around about THL and MediaTek phones I was expecting the GPS to be poor. Having tried it a few times it's as good as any other phone I've used. I'm quite happy to use google navigate for directions while driving.

Compass
    The compass I'm not to certain of, I'll try going through the calibration process on super compass and report back.

Battery
    The battery is labled 2750 mAh, the THL is getting at least as much usage as my previous phones and has better battery life.

Firmware
    My phone came with Android 4.2.2 few dated 26 mar 14. Other than Chinese keyboard the firmware seems to be pretty much pure android which I view as a good thing. In use Facebook gives regular FCs, I've also had a couple of other lock ups. I see on needrom.com that there was another Firmware from 1 April, I'll be flashing this and see if it improves things at all.

The t11 supports unlock by gestures, swipe up, shake, or double tap to unlock. Swipe down to unlock to camera.

Issues
    I've already mentioned that Facebook force closes, though the experience of using Facebook through chrome is good, and a few lock ups. Also in the minus column if the fact that there are no LED notifications, apparently using lite flow will give some notification via LED.

Conclusion
    The T11 has been a delight to own and use for the past week, it's pretty much my go to device easily replacing my Motorola RAZR I and demoting my Nexus 7 2013 to second device. The T11 is certainly not perfect but it does feel like a nice piece of kit. Other the minor issues already mentioned my only concerns are lack of manufacturer support, I'd at least expect to be able to find a website for THL with downloadable firmware.

If the hardware holds up for a year or more I'd say this phone is a great buy.

As mentioned above I ordered from http://1949deal.com, I'd like to thank them for allowing me to use some images from their site.

Any questions ask away and I'll see what I can do.

Brian

Just noticed today (26 jun 14) that Facebook no longer force closes, I presume an update to Facebook has resolved the issue.
    Last edited by 900supersport; 06-26-2014, 22:08.
    900Supersport

900supersports FreakTab rkROMkitchen

900supersports guide to working-RK-ROMs

Under Construction 900supersports guide to working MediaTek ROMS

Struggling for time at the moment, but will try and drop by when I can.

If you would like to support my ROM development then please visit my Google site donate page where you can make a paypal donation

freaktab developer

Proof that you're never to old to learn. Sometimes too old to remember though.

Obtaining Root was quite a frustrating process. I tried many of the root tools, both android and windows based without success.

I finally rooted the phone using rootgenious after finding the following guide http://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=817055.

Once I'd downloaded rootgenius I started it on windows, connected the t11and followed the onscreen instructions. Within a minute or two the t11 was rooted.

Checking the app tray, it was clear that kinguser was being used to control root access. I prefer supersu so downloaded the install zip package.

Root was verified using root checker and also by using mobile uncle to backup imei, restart etc.
    Last edited by 900supersport; 05-18-2014, 21:20.
    900Supersport

If you would like to support my ROM development then please visit my Google site donate page where you can make a paypal donation

freaktab developer

Comment

Clockwork Mod Recovery

I actually did this the hard way following rua1's thread on XDA about mtkdroidtools. It wasn't until I had root that I could boot to recovery.

Anyway assuming you have root start, see previous post if not.

To run mtkdroidtools you will need adb drivers installed on windows.

Start mtkdroidtools
      Connect the t11 and wait until it is detected and the data filled in on the left hand side if the page.
      Click root.
      Once root confirmed, click the 'root backup recovery' tab
      Select 'to use boot from phone'
      Click on 'recovery and boot'
      Confirm any dialog and wait until the flash complete

Mobile uncle can be used to restart the t11 in recovery.
      Last edited by 900supersport; 05-18-2014, 21:37.
      900Supersport

freaktab developer

Comment

I've had a busy week at work this week so not to much time for tweaking the T11, I'm still a big fan of the t11, my nexus has not been used since last weekend.

I've also mostly rebuilt my linux install on my laptop so hope to be able to take a look at the newer firmware and pre-root this before I flash from windows.
        900Supersport

freaktab developer

Comment

Just a quick update.

I've downloaded and flashed a fix for the notification issue. Seems to be good so far, though did a the t11 restart itself today. I'll update at the weekend one way or the other on this and include a link to the download.

I've also found how to boot to recovery / bootloader using the keys. This is awkward but possible
          1. power off
          2. hold vol + and press and hold power. After a short delay (maybe 6 seconds or so) a menu with 3 options should display Recovery, Bootloader and Normal.
            1. use vol + to scroll and vol - to select

I suspect that had I found this early on I'd have been able to boot into recovery then user mtkdroidtools to root the t11.

And finally my biggest criticism of the t11. It's too good, I'm loath to start messing about customising the firmware as I enjoy it so much as it is .

Brian
          900Supersport

freaktab developer

Comment

Hi, thanks for this thread...

i just recieved my thl t11 and i love it however i find a couple of bugs.. have you experienced any of these?

1) you mentioned facebook problem. have you found a solution yet?
            2) snapchat doesnt allow the full length recording and stops after only a few seconds
            3) youtube wont rotate videos in my watch later playlist, its force closes.
            4) im getting a very big battery drain on (mobile standby / android os / phone idle) is this normal? 80% of my battery as gone after only 8hour with perhaps moderate use.

Also, im looking to root the device etc... im a bit confused by your posts, whats the easiest way to root, install cwm and backup device?

many thanks

Comment

1) for facebook I use chrome
              2) I've not used snapchat
              3) I'd not tried the watch list on youtube before. I do get foreclose on watchlist
              4) I've not looked in detail at battery drain. I find the T11 has better battery life either of my last to phones (HTC Desire, Motorola razr i). I easy manage a full day.

To root I used rootgenius, though it may be possible to put the t11 into recovery and then use mtkdroidtools to root and generate CWM.
              I finally rooted the phone using rootgenious after finding the following guide http://www.htcmania.com/showthread.php?t=817055.
              Alternately you could download CWM for the t11 from needrom and then flash with spflashtools.

I hope you enjoy the t11 as much as I am.

Brian
              900Supersport

freaktab developer

Comment

Very complete review, Brian. I will consider this phone as my next one, but is it really better than a nexus 7 2013. :-)

Gesendet von meinem GT-I8160 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Re: THL T11 Review

For me its better.

My main uses are; tapatalk, twitter, chrome (use this for Facebook too) and some YouTube.

If thl offered more support, say a website with firmware updates or maybe sources, it would be even better.

I might well see if I can sell my nexus and buy a second t11 so I can play with the firmware and have a backup phone.
                  900Supersport

freaktab developer

Comment

Is it not possible to dump the firmware and create then a flashable ROM.
                    For two t11, I would buy instead a HTC one(m7). I like the ALU design.

Comment

Re: THL T11 Review

Yes I can get the firmware, I don't want to end up without the t11 for a few days when I get it wrong.
                      900Supersport

freaktab developer

Comment

Hm. Maybe using the old phone as backup, while creating the flashable firmware for the T11.

But I understand, you don't want back to the Motorola.
                        My ace2 got today a bootloop after flashing the current cm11 update and I have no android backup phone only RAZR v3. That made me nervous, because I thought my a ace2 was possible at the of the lifetime, but after two hours I could fix it. :-)

Comment

I've lent the RAZR so it would mean going back to an 18 month old desire.

Sent from my thl T11 using Tapatalk
                          900Supersport

freaktab developer

Comment

hey guys,

as anyone tested OTG on their phone?! doesnt seem to work for me...

Comment

I'm typing this response with a keyboard connected via the otg port. Will check with a usb stick and update soon.

USB stick works good too.

What device are you using?

Sent from my thl T11 using Tapatalk
                              900Supersport

freaktab developer

Comment

Working...
                              X