Some useful tools for MTK Phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some useful tools for MTK Phones

I thought I would list some of the tools I am using with my thl t11.

MTKDroidTools
    Amongst other things this tool by rua1 at xda can build and flash clockwork recovery to your phone.

To take full advantage of this tool the phone must be rooted.

See http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2160490 for download and instructions from the rua1. ADB usb drivers are required to use MTKDroidTools, if you don't already have these there are downloads in the first few posts.

On starting MTKDroidTools connect your phone and wait for it to be recognised and the data on the left-hand side of the screen to be read as below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MTKDroid_a.png
Views:	1
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	439248

The second tab has options for helping root the phone (you would need to be in CWM or TWRP recovery for this to work), make a CWM recovery and flash to the phone.

Name:	MTKDroid_b.png
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	439249

Across the bottom of the screen is a status for root, if the indicator is yellow then pressing root will attempt to get a root shell to the phone. You may have to grant root access from the phone.

Name:	MTKDroid_c.png
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	439250

Note that further options are available once root obtained. If you have this screen you can create a CWM and flash to the phone by first selecting 'use boot from phone' and then press then 'Recovery and Boot' button.

SPFlashTool
    This is the standard tool for flashing MTK ROMs. Shown below is the download screen used to flash ROMs

Name:	spflashtool_b.png
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	439251

In this case I've already selected a scatter file, the individual image files have been selected automatically.

MobileUncle.apk
    Available on the play store, this apk is useful once your phone is rooted. You can backup/restore IMEI numbers, reboot to boot loader, recovery etc
    900Supersport

900supersports FreakTab rkROMkitchen

900supersports guide to working-RK-ROMs

Under Construction 900supersports guide to working MediaTek ROMS

Struggling for time at the moment, but will try and drop by when I can.

If you would like to support my ROM development then please visit my Google site donate page where you can make a paypal donation

freaktab developer

Proof that you're never to old to learn. Sometimes too old to remember though.

Can anyone help me find a SP Flash Tool for Linux.

On the following link, for SP Flash Tool 3.1352, it says:

Now it supports Win Xp 32bit and Ubuntu 10.4.

New Features/Enhancement:
    1. Intial Pre-Release for Linux platform

But I do not see anything that looks like a Linux executable or package in the associated downloads.

Is there another official site for SP Flash Tool?

Has anybody really seen a Linux version?

I do not have a Windows computer.
    http://linuxslate.com

http://carcynic.com

Comment

I have been playing around with these tools to backup and restore my MTK phone but ran into some difficulties when it comes to backing up and restoring the phone in a complete fashion.

I first used MTKdroidtools 2.5.3 to create a backup, believing that when restoring, it would restore everything exactly as it was at a point in time.

After doing this, I had to play around with the phone because when making or receiving a call, whilst the recipient could hear me OK, they were very faint and the only way that I could hear them properly was to use the loudspeaker or plug in some headphones.

So after playing around and getting nowhere, I decided to use spflashtools to restore.

I noticed that both cache and usrdata were not selected, which indicated that they were not backed up.

This was confirmed when after the restore, I had to restore many apps and go through configurations to get the phone back just as it was before I backed it up.

I then discovered that an older version of MTKdroidtools (2.4.3) had an option to select cache and usrdata, which was removed in 2,5,3, so I used this instead.

All went well, so I decided to load up sptools and point at the scatter file to confirm that all would be as I expect.

Whilst cache and udrdata were there, preloader and uboot were not selected.

So unless I am missing something (which is quite possible) there does not seem to be a way to backup the entire phone and restore it back to exactly the same state again.
      R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

Comment

MTk Droid Tool CWM generation

I had modified 3 ROMs so far for MTK Soc 2 for MTK 6582(Quads) and 1 for MTK6592(Octas) but I have never ever touch or even attempt to make CWM from MTKDroidTools since my fisrt attempt at using a "home made" CWM by another user did not backup and restore completely the firmware as "BLUESMANUK" says .
        I would advise anybody who wants to use modified ROM using customs recovery to find one wwith TWRP recovery which has to be customised to each model and Android version (JB recovery cannot be safely used as KitKat recovery) Most firmware modders are using "home made" CWM and effecting the users backup and recovery process.
        I only used modified ROM with TWRP recovery as it is cutomised to each individual model. I wouldnt touch touch an MTK device that doesnt have a variant of TWRP recovery as I need to to modify further the firmware(develop 100% AOSP firmware).
        For your info I do only for LENOVO phones as it has better firmware than other Chinese (no matter how hyped up their advert is) but you dont see a lot of LENOVO phones in the US or EU because they have lots of Chinese bloatware but after removing these and mantaining the LENOVO specific apps (like LENOVO SuperCamera-SNAPiT! which is highly sought after even by SAMSUNG users). The phone can run rings around SAMSUNG or LG phones and at a much,much cheaper price (they are currently at no.4 ranking in terms of volume sales beating even LG. I am currently using an OCtaCore LENOVO 6inch phablet with TWRP and trying to perfect the Vibe1.5 Ui for LENOVO (Vibe Ui are only for KitKat ROM).
        So you see the importance of using TWRP instead of "home made" CWM?
        ONDA V975m 4.4.2 AML M802 OCTA Core (rooted)
        PiPo M9Pro KASTY ROM 4.4.2 (build #407 5-May-14)
        LENOVO S939 Octa Core 4.4.2 (Vibe1.5 1427) rooted
        LENOVO A880 QuadCore 4.2.2 (ver S027)
        C93 Duo Core AMX Android 4.3 CM10.2_rc-3 25-Oct-13.
        ZENITHINK ZTPAD: Z102 And. 4.0.4, ZTPAD C91 And. 4.0.4, Aigo M60 6" (for grandaughter)
        S4 Clone Quad Core MT6589 rooted And. 4.2.9 (4.2.2)

Comment

In terms of backup I think the aim with mtkdroidtools is to backup the ROM.

I've had no issues with the cwm recovery as created by mtkdroidtools either on my phones, both 4.2.2 or my u65gt 4.4.2. I've also tried TWRP and carliv. All can work well.
          900Supersport

900supersports FreakTab rkROMkitchen

900supersports guide to working-RK-ROMs

Under Construction 900supersports guide to working MediaTek ROMS

Struggling for time at the moment, but will try and drop by when I can.

If you would like to support my ROM development then please visit my Google site donate page where you can make a paypal donation

freaktab developer

Proof that you're never to old to learn. Sometimes too old to remember though.

Comment

Does TWRP give the option to backup everything outside of any external SD card?

What I found with CWM was that when using a rockchip tablet a while ago, I was using CWM under the impression that it was backing up everything, so when the day came to use it, I was rather shocked when I still had to re-install many apps and settings after a restore.

I'm still puzzled as to why preloader and uboot were not picked up from the scatter file settings.

Comment

TWRP Recovery

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
              Does TWRP give the option to backup everything outside of any external SD card?

What I found with CWM was that when using a rockchip tablet a while ago, I was using CWM under the impression that it was backing up everything, so when the day came to use it, I was rather shocked when I still had to re-install many apps and settings after a restore.

I'm still puzzled as to why preloader and uboot were not picked up from the scatter file settings.
              I like to use TWRP coz it has better interface and none like the CWM (sometimes especially for phones it is critical to backup NVRAM or else there will be no IMEI, on the TWRP you can chose o backup or not to by ticking the boxes, CWM doesnt show you what it is backing up options) small lines and I dont recommend that to any newbies who download my ROMs, I only seek for TWRP recovery.
              To answer whether TWRP can Backup/restore from anything outside the external sdcard, it depends on the versions version 2.7.x.x.x are more likely to be able to even backup to USB OTG (I am currently using this on my MTK6592 device) and about to release my customs AOSP ROM paired with this TWRP Rec. for the model I am doing and it is ported to be able to work on both 4.2.2 and 4.4.2 Android , normally the one that works on 4.2.2 will not do well on 4.4.2 (I had this first hand experience while modding this ROM which was updated to 4.4.2 and it doesnt backup and restore correctly (failed) from the 4.2.2 version.
              There is another recent experience about 5 month ago( on RK 3188) back when we were told by our Forum admin not to use the 4.2.2 CWM recovery for the newly released 4.4.2 firmware we had to wait for about a month before the CWM was successfully ported over to 4.4 (by that time the Forum was busy advising users how to recover their backup/restore (which we told them that is not possible with the 4.2 version, luckily none bricked).
              Unless some guy like this one had successfully made one which worked on both 4.2 and 4.4 flawlessly be extra careful when installing customs recovery , ask the firmware developer to provide the customs recovery that he used.

The other answer as to why your flashing doesnt flash preloader , maybe because it is not the original "signed" version, or if there is a file "checksum.xx" remove that (dont erase just move it out) and read within the first few lines of your scatter file for the name of the preloader , it should be the same with the one in the ROM folder (e.g >>" general: MTK_PLATFORM_CFG info:
              - config_version: V1.1.1
              platform: MT6582
              project: lcsh82_wet_jb5 <<< the preloader name must be the same!!
              storage: EMMC
              boot_channel: MSDC_0
              block_size: 0x20000"

This my two cents worth when moving stock recovery and substituting with customs recovery it will not flash unless the "checksum" file is removed from the ROM folder.
              Last edited by cracktech; 08-09-2014, 17:26.
              ZENITHINK ZTPAD: Z102 And. 4.0.4, ZTPAD C91 And. 4.0.4, Aigo M60 6" (for grandaughter)

Comment

Originally posted by cracktech View Post
                I like to use TWRP coz it has better interface and none like the CWM (sometimes especially for phones it is critical to backup NVRAM or else there will be no IMEI, on the TWRP you can chose o backup or not to by ticking the boxes, CWM doesnt show you what it is backing up options) small lines and I dont recommend that to any newbies who download my ROMs, I only seek for TWRP recovery.
                To answer whether TWRP can Backup/restore from anything outside the external sdcard, it depends on the versions version 2.7.x.x.x are more likely to be able to even backup to USB OTG (I am currently using this on my MTK6592 device) and about to release my customs AOSP ROM paired with this TWRP Rec. for the model I am doing and it is ported to be able to work on both 4.2.2 and 4.4.2 Android , normally the one that works on 4.2.2 will not do well on 4.4.2 (I had this first hand experience while modding this ROM which was updated to 4.4.2 and it doesnt backup and restore correctly (failed) from the 4.2.2 version.
                There is another recent experience about 5 month ago( on RK 3188) back when we were told by our Forum admin not to use the 4.2.2 CWM recovery for the newly released 4.4.2 firmware we had to wait for about a month before the CWM was successfully ported over to 4.4 (by that time the Forum was busy advising users how to recover their backup/restore (which we told them that is not possible with the 4.2 version, luckily none bricked).
                Unless some guy like this one had successfully made one which worked on both 4.2 and 4.4 flawlessly be extra careful when installing customs recovery , ask the firmware developer to provide the customs recovery that he used.

The other answer as to why your flashing doesnt flash preloader , maybe because it is not the original "signed" version, or if there is a file "checksum.xx" remove that (dont erase just move it out) and read within the first few lines of your scatter file for the name of the preloader , it should be the same with the one in the ROM folder (e.g >>" general: MTK_PLATFORM_CFG info:
                project: lcsh82_wet_jb5 <<< the preloader name must be the same!!
                block_size: 0x20000"

This my two cents worth when moving stock recovery and substituting with customs recovery it will not flash unless the "checksum" file is removed from the ROM folder.
                Thanks for the tips.

There is no checksum file in any of my current backups.

There is however a large difference in the contents of two scatter files.

When using MtkDroidTools v2.5.3, which doesn't give me the option to backup userdata.img, the scatter file is:

################################################## ################################################## ########
                #
                # General Setting
                #
                ################################################## ################################################## ########
                - general: MTK_PLATFORM_CFG
                info:
                project: MTDTtest
                block_size: 0x20000
                #
                # Layout Setting
                #
                - partition_index: SYS0
                partition_name: PRELOADER
                file_name: preloader.bin
                is_download: true
                type: SV5_BL_BIN
                linear_start_addr: 0x0
                physical_start_addr: 0x0
                partition_size: 0xC00000
                region: EMMC_BOOT_1
                storage: HW_STORAGE_EMMC
                boundary_check: true
                is_reserved: false
                operation_type: BOOTLOADERS
                reserve: 0x00
                - partition_index: SYS1
                partition_name: MBR
                file_name: MBR
                type: NORMAL_ROM
                linear_start_addr: 0xC00000
                physical_start_addr: 0x0
                partition_size: 0x80000
                region: EMMC_USER
                operation_type: UPDATE
                - partition_index: SYS2
                partition_name: EBR1
                file_name: EBR1
                linear_start_addr: 0xC80000
                physical_start_addr: 0x80000
                - partition_index: SYS3
                partition_name: PRO_INFO
                file_name: NONE
                is_download: false
                type: NONE
                linear_start_addr: 0xD00000
                physical_start_addr: 0x100000
                partition_size: 0x300000
                operation_type: PROTECTED
                - partition_index: SYS4
                partition_name: NVRAM
                linear_start_addr: 0x1000000
                physical_start_addr: 0x400000
                partition_size: 0x500000
                operation_type: BINREGION
                - partition_index: SYS5
                partition_name: PROTECT_F
                linear_start_addr: 0x1500000
                physical_start_addr: 0x900000
                partition_size: 0xA00000
                - partition_index: SYS6
                partition_name: PROTECT_S
                linear_start_addr: 0x1F00000
                physical_start_addr: 0x1300000
                - partition_index: SYS7
                partition_name: SECCFG
                linear_start_addr: 0x2900000
                physical_start_addr: 0x1D00000
                partition_size: 0x20000
                operation_type: INVISIBLE
                - partition_index: SYS8
                partition_name: UBOOT
                file_name: lk.bin
                linear_start_addr: 0x2920000
                physical_start_addr: 0x1D20000
                partition_size: 0x60000
                - partition_index: SYS9
                partition_name: BOOTIMG
                file_name: boot.img
                linear_start_addr: 0x2980000
                physical_start_addr: 0x1D80000
                partition_size: 0x600000
                - partition_index: SYS10
                partition_name: RECOVERY
                file_name: recovery.img
                linear_start_addr: 0x2F80000
                physical_start_addr: 0x2380000
                - partition_index: SYS11
                partition_name: SEC_RO
                file_name: secro.img
                linear_start_addr: 0x3580000
                physical_start_addr: 0x2980000
                - partition_index: SYS12
                partition_name: MISC
                linear_start_addr: 0x3B80000
                physical_start_addr: 0x2F80000
                - partition_index: SYS13
                partition_name: LOGO
                file_name: logo.bin
                linear_start_addr: 0x3C00000
                physical_start_addr: 0x3000000
                partition_size: 0x300000
                - partition_index: SYS14
                partition_name: EBR2
                file_name: EBR2
                linear_start_addr: 0x3F00000
                physical_start_addr: 0x3300000
                - partition_index: SYS15
                partition_name: EXPDB
                linear_start_addr: 0x3F80000
                physical_start_addr: 0x3380000
                - partition_index: SYS16
                partition_name: ANDROID
                file_name: system.img
                type: YAFFS_IMG
                linear_start_addr: 0x4980000
                physical_start_addr: 0x3D80000
                partition_size: 0x2BC00000
                - partition_index: SYS17
                partition_name: CACHE
                file_name: cache.img
                linear_start_addr: 0x30580000
                physical_start_addr: 0x2F980000
                partition_size: 0x7E00000
                - partition_index: SYS18
                partition_name: USRDATA
                file_name: data.img
                linear_start_addr: 0x38380000
                physical_start_addr: 0x37780000
                partition_size: 0x40000000
                - partition_index: SYS19
                partition_name: FAT
                linear_start_addr: 0x78380000
                physical_start_addr: 0x77780000
                partition_size: 0x72D80000
                - partition_index: SYS20
                partition_name: BMTPOOL
                linear_start_addr: 0xFFFF00A8
                physical_start_addr: 0xFFFF00A8
                partition_size: 0x1500000
                boundary_check: false
                is_reserved: true
                operation_type: RESERVED

When using MtkDroidTools v2.4.3, which does give me the option to backup userdata.img, the scatter file is far smaller:

PRELOADER 0x0{}MBR 0xc00000{}EBR1 0xc80000{}__NODL_PRO_INFO 0xd00000{}__NODL_NVRAM x1000000{}__NODL_PROTECT_F 0x1500000{}__NODL_PROTECT_S 0x1f00000{}__NODL_SECCFG x2900000{}UBOOT 0x2920000{}BOOTIMG 0x2980000{}RECOVERY 0x2f80000{}SEC_RO 0x3580000{}__NODL_MISC 0x3b80000{}LOGO 0x3c00000{}EBR2 0x3f00000{}__NODL_EXPDB 0x3f80000{}ANDROID 0x4980000{}CACHE 0x30580000{}USRDATA 0x38380000{}__NODL_FAT x78380000{}__NODL_BMTPOOL 0xffff00a8{}

Gives me something to investigate further though.

Comment

WoW! Never seen a sctter file that big!

When using MtkDroidTools v2.4.3, which does give me the option to backup userdata.img, the scatter file is far smaller:

PRELOADER 0x0{}MBR 0xc00000{}EBR1 0xc80000{}__NODL_PRO_INFO 0xd00000{}__NODL_NVRAM x1000000{}__NODL_PROTECT_F 0x1500000{}__NODL_PROTECT_S 0x1f00000{}__NODL_SECCFG x2900000{}UBOOT 0x2920000{}BOOTIMG 0x2980000{}RECOVERY 0x2f80000{}SEC_RO 0x3580000{}__NODL_MISC 0x3b80000{}LOGO 0x3c00000{}EBR2 0x3f00000{}__NODL_EXPDB 0x3f80000{}ANDROID 0x4980000{}CACHE 0x30580000{}USRDATA 0x38380000{}__NODL_FAT x78380000{}__NODL_BMTPOOL 0xffff00a8{}

Gives me something to investigate further though.[/QUOTE]

I have never see a scatter that big! Yeah you'd better get EXPERT advise on this the scatter seems to be very complex it should be as in the second portion only maybe with a few extra lines only.
                  Sorry cant help you here coz I have been porting the MTK ROM to use only customs recovery easier to customised it only takes a few hours at most to extract from OTA and make it into a TWRP/CWM flashable version, the rest is adding and subtracting apps and driver files. I only use SpFlashTool to flash the original factory ROm and then extracting it out to make it into flashable zipsin the early versions and then substituting files with OTA updates zips that is captured.

Comment

I think that I may have found the answer.

When looking through all the backup files and comparing them to those contained in the original ROM's that I have flashed, I noticed that none of the backups contain the preloader file, so I coped the relevant one for the current ROM and when running sptools, it does at least fill in all the required parameter boxes.

I just have to try to restore and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X