Encryption Unsuccessful - Reset Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few days ago I backed up my phone using MTKDroidtools and tested it by flashing back again without issue.

Apart from a few apps updating automatically, nothing else changed.

Using exactly the same tools and methodology, I backed up my phone again today and tested flashing it back.

All went well except that this time, after the bootanimation had completed I received the prompt Encryption Unsuccessful - Reset Android.

After selecting the Reset Android prompt it booted into recovery, did some stuff and then rebooted but the ROM was back to factory stock.

I'm completely stumped as to what could have possibly changed to bring about this issue.

I still had the backup from a few days ago, which I have managed to restore without issue, so all was not lost but it does make me wary for future backups.

Anybody know the reasons why this seems to happen?
    R-TV BOX S10, Beebox N3150, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, A95X Max

I figured out a way round it (sort of)

I pulled the battery and booted into recovery, taking the option to reboot.

After the bootanimation had finished the phone stuck, so I restarted it again and this time it came up.

The only issue was that 3 of the icons on the main screen were the same, despite each opening their relevant apps and the bookmarks widget on screen 2 being blank.

I restored the app icons and all is working, except that when I try to load the play store it says that the app isn't installed.

The logic of it all escapes me though.

Comment

Is there any chance you received an OTA update?
      Randy
      Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
        Is there any chance you received an OTA update?
        I don't believe so.

To check though, I re-installed the older backup and did an OTA check and with it being one of the many phones that never receives updates, it said that there wasn't one available.

Before I carry out any backups I always switch off wifi and 3G data connections too.

Comment

I've just noted something else.

Following every restore, there is a delay of a minute or so after the bootanimation has completed.

When looking in the clockworkmod folder, apart from the last manual backup that I made, with a specific date format, there is another that is being automatically created with a different date format.

Each one contains boot.img, cache.ext4.tar, data.ext4.tar, nandroid.md5, recovery.img, system.ext4.tar and a folder names files containing a file called files.md5

I've never known CWM act like this following restores on any of my Rockchip devices.

data.ext4.tar and system.ext4.tar are weighing in with rather large file sizes filling up the external sd card.

Rrileypm, you asked about an OT update, which wasn't being done in the strictest sense but with the only backup that can be restored correctly, on boot up I do get a very brief message saying Android is upgrading, starting apps but it's only there for a couple of seconds.

None of the restores from subsequent backups have this android is upgrading message upon bootup.

Comment

Encryption Unsuccessful - Reset Android basically means your partition needs to be formatted, so rebooting phone to recovery allows recovery to format partition, naturally formatting data partition returns phone to factory settings.

Won't change system though, so during bootup if you have phone rooted, might state system is upgrading as su app, isn't native to phone so that would be an upgrade.

You didn't mention your phone's name nor version of android you are using nor version of CWM, overall seems normal, nether tools CWM or MTKDroidtools are designed to backup every partition on the phone.

You would need to use both or use adb and backup each partition.

CWM is designed for personal backup, ie system, data, cache.

MTKDroidtools is designed for sharing roms, so backing up personal info isn't necessary. (data)

Comment

Originally posted by vampirefo View Post
              Encryption Unsuccessful - Reset Android basically means your partition needs to be formatted, so rebooting phone to recovery allows recovery to format partition, naturally formatting data partition returns phone to factory settings.

Won't change system though, so during bootup if you have phone rooted, might state system is upgrading as su app, isn't native to phone so that would be an upgrade.

You didn't mention your phone's name nor version of android you are using nor version of CWM, overall seems normal, nether tools CWM or MTKDroidtools are designed to backup every partition on the phone.

You would need to use both or use adb and backup each partition.

CWM is designed for personal backup, ie system, data, cache.

MTKDroidtools is designed for sharing roms, so backing up personal info isn't necessary. (data)

Thanks for the info.

The particular version of MTKDroidtools that I am using (2.4.3) has the option to backup userdata, unlike all subsequent versions and has been able to backup everything for restore with SPFlashtool.

What is particularly strange is the fact that older backups can be restored with no issue and the phone contents are fully restored.

I just can't for the life of me work out what could have changed to prevent newer backups from restoring in the same manner.

It's one of those more obscure chinese phones with an MTK6582.

CWM is 5.5.0.4 and when used for what it can do, works well.

Comment

factory reset fixes it for me

Comment

Working...
                X