This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing MTK Drivers - Some Problems Solved

In common with me, some users have reported problems getting the drivers installed. Here is long-winded but reliable method that I have put together for Windows 7 after much fiddling and googling...
    1. Start menu, type cmd in search programs and files
    2. cmd.exe will appear in the programs list right-click on cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator
    3. In the command session type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press enter
    4. In the command session type devmgmt.msc and press enter
    5. The Device Manager console will appear
    6. In Device Manager click on View and choose Show Hidden Devices
    7. If there is list entry Ports (COM & LPT) expand it
      1. If there is an entry MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port (COMn) then the driver is already installed
      2. Right click on the entry and choose Uninstall
      3. The uninstall dialogue box appears
      4. Check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK
      5. The MediaTek device will be uninstalled
      6. If this was the ONLY port listed, the list entry Ports (COM & LPT) will also disappear (DON'T PANIC)
    8. Ensure your CUBE is POWERED OFF (wait for vibration to show it is completely off)
    9. Attach the powered off cube to the computer via USB
    10. The computer will start to install the drivers, but will probably report Device Driver software was not successfully installed.
    11. Click on the balloon message and a message box will say MT65xx Preloader No Driver Found
    12. Return to the Device Manager
    13. There should be a list entry Other Devices - expand it.
      1. Find the child list entry MT65xx Preloader
      2. Right click and choose Update Software Driver...
      3. Update Driver Software dialogue is displayed
      4. Choose Browse my computer for driver software
      5. In the Browse for driver software dialogue click browse and navigate to the download location where you extracted the ROM's zip file content.
      6. Navigate to the sub-folder containing the *.inf files.
      7. Click Next
      8. Windows may prompt saying Windows can't verify the publish of this driver software
        1. Choose Install this driver software anyway
      9. Windows should say Installing Driver Software
      10. Windows will then say Windows has finished installing the driver software for this device: MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port
      11. Unplug and replug the CUBE
      12. Windows will start installing the driver instance
        1. Sometimes the install will fail
        2. Click the balloon message and message box will say Install failed - device unplugged
        3. Unplug and replug the CUBE and things should be OK
    14. Return to the Device Manager
    15. There should now be a list entry Ports (COM & LPT)
    16. Expand this item and it should contain MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port (COMn)
    Success

Remember when you want to use the SP Flash Tool you must plug the CUBE into the same USB Port - else another driver instance will be installed. The good news is that once you have successfully installed the driver all the other USB ports should automatically pick up the driver without having to go through the palaver above.

Remember you only have to use this long-winded approach if you get problems installing the drivers...

Have fun!

Originally posted by ac0935p View Post
    In common with me, some users have reported problems getting the drivers installed. Here is long-winded but reliable method that I have put together for Windows 7 after much fiddling and googling...
    2. cmd.exe will appear in the programs list right-click on cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator
    3. In the command session type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press enter
      1. If there is an entry MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port (COMn) then the driver is already installed
      6. If this was the ONLY port listed, the list entry Ports (COM & LPT) will also disappear (DON'T PANIC)

8. Ensure your CUBE is POWERED OFF (wait for vibration to show it is completely off)
    10. The computer will start to install the drivers, but will probably report Device Driver software was not successfully installed.
    11. Click on the balloon message and a message box will say MT65xx Preloader No Driver Found
      5. In the Browse for driver software dialogue click browse and navigate to the download location where you extracted the ROM's zip file content.
      7. Click Next
      8. Windows may prompt saying Windows can't verify the publish of this driver software

10. Windows will then say Windows has finished installing the driver software for this device: MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port
        2. Click the balloon message and message box will say Install failed - device unplugged

16. Expand this item and it should contain MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM Port (COMn)

Success

Remember when you want to use the SP Flash Tool you must plug the CUBE into the same USB Port - else another driver instance will be installed. The good news is that once you have successfully installed the driver all the other USB ports should automatically pick up the driver without having to go through the palaver above.

Remember you only have to use this long-winded approach if you get problems installing the drivers...

Have fun!

Comment

Great information!

I'll stick this thread. Thanks.

Sent from my P1 using Tapatalk
      Randy
      Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Signed up to this forum just to comment.
        This totally saved me from much frustration.
        Thank you for writing such a detailed, accurate, step by step guide.

Comment

Originally posted by makarios View Post
          Signed up to this forum just to comment.
          This totally saved me from much frustration.
          Thank you for writing such a detailed, accurate, step by step guide.
          "My pleasure" is probably an exaggeration, but it was certainly born out of my own frustrations... Enjoy your Cube...

Comment

Drivers, problems

"My pleasure" is probably an exaggeration, but it was certainly born out of my own frustrations... Enjoy your Cube...
            Thanks ac0935p

I have some problems with indtalation drivers and your toturial save me...

Thanks

Comment

Another challenge!

7. Click Next

Success

Have fun!
              I have all the drivers but when I plug in my device I need to hit to volume - button for the device to be recognised. But then the device is only recognised for about 2 secs, not enough time for the device drivers to be installed, then the device is regarded as "unplugged" and no drivers were installed.
              Tried this with different USB cables, USB ports and another laptop. Same problem...so it must be the device (Cubot S308).

Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by dan2dons View Post
                I have all the drivers but when I plug in my device I need to hit to volume - button for the device to be recognised. But then the device is only recognised for about 2 secs, not enough time for the device drivers to be installed, then the device is regarded as "unplugged" and no drivers were installed.
                Tried this with different USB cables, USB ports and another laptop. Same problem...so it must be the device (Cubot S308).

Any suggestions?
                I have exactly the same problem.
                Win 8.1, connecting device... driver installation is successful but then device disapearing... coming on and off in the windows (device is powered off all the times). Port is showing on the devices list and next disapearing...
                Any remedy ? Also tried a few drivers... Also my AV says that droid tool is infected by the virus..

Comment

OK. Here is my update. I have found on the other forum that to connect to the device these can be the steps:
                  1. enable usb debugging in the settings (development tab)
                  2. install pdaNet app - this will allow to install all necessary drivers I had a problems earlier, even wnen used the above instruction.
                  3. install iRoot
                  4. device will be rooted during the normal operation so no shutting down etc. Some funny software was installed, I think it is named as SuperUser who ask on the device to deny/allow the access for other applications like MTK Droid Tools...
                  5. MTK connected to the device without the problems and backup was done on my local computer.....

NOW ! - here is something which no one explained clearly.... the Scatter file, which is needed from the device if you want to use SP Flash tool, cannot be taken by MTK tool since device is rooted. The button is GREY so no chance to click it.
                  I'm currently stuck at this point. If anyone can give an answer or suggestion appreciate... If not, I will be still googling

After un-root'ing the device using iRoot tool I got an error when try to root device or perform anything via MTK... "- ERROR : SU inaccessible"

Comment

> Attach the powered off cube to the computer via USB
                    > The computer will start to install the drivers

no. nothing happened. the computer did not respond in ANY way (no sounds, no cursor changes...).

Comment

Originally posted by marcorossi View Post
                      > Attach the powered off cube to the computer via USB
                      > The computer will start to install the drivers

no. nothing happened. the computer did not respond in ANY way (no sounds, no cursor changes...).
                      To install drivers for my cube T9 on my Windows 8.1 laptop, I had to have it powered ON to be recognized. After installing drivers, safely disconnect and power OFF the tablet, before attempting any flashing. Also, use the original USB cable that came with the device.

Comment

as i mentioned my tablet is installed as a cellphone model i never heard and flash tool is only stuck even if mtk driver installation is forced.

Comment

Originally posted by marcing00 View Post

I have exactly the same problem.
                          Win 8.1, connecting device... driver installation is successful but then device disapearing... coming on and off in the windows (device is powered off all the times). Port is showing on the devices list and next disapearing...
                          Any remedy ? Also tried a few drivers... Also my AV says that droid tool is infected by the virus..
                          and I have the same problem tooo!
                          I tried to install cwm to my htc desire 310 and seems it failed.
                          now i can install the driver but it plugs and unplugs after 2 sec and sp flash tool is not able to work.
                          any help plz!

Comment

After you have installed once driver...disconnect tablet...prepare scatter and firmware loaded in Spflashtool then push download button and AFTER connect your tablet poweredoff at same usb 2.0 port after 1 sec it start to download firmware!
                            Last edited by hocuspocus69; 08-09-2015, 17:40.

Comment

I did this:
                              "After you have installed once driver...disconnect tablet...prepare scatter and firmware loaded in Spflashtool then push download button and AFTER connect your tablet poweredoff at same usb 2.0 port after 1 sec it start to download firmware!"
                              and it starts to download and the download bar shows 100% after 1 second but it dose not show any ok terminate and stops after 9 seconds.
                              at second 9 a sound that means devise unplug is heard from system.

Comment

Working...
                              X