Usb hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usb hub

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and glad to be here.

First of all congratulations for your great work, my 10 G2 runs like a charm.

Let's begin. I've tryed to connect an USB hub to the Arnova hopping i can attach a keyboard and another device at same time. I know it's not necessary for normal use but i want to try it. So, before starting to reinvent the wheel, wonder if someone can tell me if you tried it and what problems have you encountered?

I have a Conceptronic 4 USB HUB and when i plug to arnova dmesg says:

usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using usb20_host and address 2
    usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=05e3, idProduct=0606
    usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
    usb 1-1: Product: USB2.0 Hub
    usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    hub 1-1:1.0: ignoring external hub

This hub has an external DC but usually i don't need when i plug into a PC.

Therefore, in summary:
    - Is it possible to connect a USB hub?
    - Someone use one in the ARNOVA 10 G2? If answer is yes what brand and model you're using?
    - What steps have been taken to make it work?

I hope that someone can help me with this and hope it's not a very silly question

Thanks a lot!
    -------------

By the way, I'm from spain and, as you can see, my english is horrible. It has been many years since I studied English in school and I forgot many things, more than I thought when trying to write this message. So please forgive me.

I have found a thread where says that the only way is recompiling the kernel, "patch" the kernel binary or compile a module that patch the kernel "on the fly".

Can't compile the kernel (tanks ARNOVA, the last of your products that i buy), patching, for me, is like going to hell on vacation and compiling the module... too far too.

This is the link: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/2096...n/page__st__20

The hub part is at the end of second page and third. I have tried disassembly the kernel but i get lost with ida and ARM assembler.

I will wait untill arnova release sourcecode... (uffff)

Sorry for revive this topic. Good night.

Comment

Actually I have some USB kernel modules that can be installed using mount manager APP from the market. They were provided to me by Fenice57 and are compiled to work on our kernel. I have no idea what they do or the order in which to insmod them. I understand they may provide USB host mode support.

Let me know if you want to try them?

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Hi Bob, thank you for the reply.

As you can see my knowledge about linux/kernel/android is very limited. I just play with kernel and modules and try to figure how do things right, but i need deeper knowledge.

If arnova used the RK2918 kernel it was compiled blacklisting usb hubs. In .config we have this line:
        CONFIG_USB_OTG_BLACKLIST_HUB=y

It's normal because a hub can drain your battery. In my case i use an external USB keyboard and sometimes i need to connect my usb stick, that is why i want to connect the hub (use tablet like a netbook, silly thing).

The hub_probe in arnova, at least in my tablet, is at c066fc78.
        # cat /proc/kallsyms | busybox grep hub_probe
        c066fc78 t hub_probe

The trick explained in the forum is change the conditional instruction in the kernel binary to bypass the "ignoring" part.

I have stuck in the disassemble part. When i load the kernel.bin rom size is 0x513D20 and can't find the hub_probe function. Again my lack of knowledge. It may be compression or something else that I don't know. I'll appreciate any help.

The only way i see is recompile the kernel with this option enabled (and maybe with ntfs too) but arnova... BAH! I'm a bit tired of him right now.

Thanks again for your great work, i'm using your 2.0 and i love it. Without your rom this tablet would be in the trash.

Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by absurd2 View Post
          Hi Bob, thank you for the reply.

As you can see my knowledge about linux/kernel/android is very limited. I just play with kernel and modules and try to figure how do things right, but i need deeper knowledge.

If arnova used the RK2918 kernel it was compiled blacklisting usb hubs. In .config we have this line:
          CONFIG_USB_OTG_BLACKLIST_HUB=y

It's normal because a hub can drain your battery. In my case i use an external USB keyboard and sometimes i need to connect my usb stick, that is why i want to connect the hub (use tablet like a netbook, silly thing).

The hub_probe in arnova, at least in my tablet, is at c066fc78.
          # cat /proc/kallsyms | busybox grep hub_probe
          c066fc78 t hub_probe

The trick explained in the forum is change the conditional instruction in the kernel binary to bypass the "ignoring" part.

I have stuck in the disassemble part. When i load the kernel.bin rom size is 0x513D20 and can't find the hub_probe function. Again my lack of knowledge. It may be compression or something else that I don't know. I'll appreciate any help.

The only way i see is recompile the kernel with this option enabled (and maybe with ntfs too) but arnova... BAH! I'm a bit tired of him right now.

Thanks again for your great work, i'm using your 2.0 and i love it. Without your rom this tablet would be in the trash.

Have a nice day.
          I guess going in with a hex editor and changing that to a =n is not going to work? Does it process that on load? If so that might work? If not then correct a recompile....

Bob
          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I am using a RAPOO wireless keyboard with a touch pad (keyboard length is just about the same as the width of Arnova 10 G2). That small keyboard has a tiny USB wireless receiver, by using the USB adaptor, you can connect that USB wireless receiver to the mini port of the Arnova, keyboard is working fine with mouse pointer too.

Comment

for Finless and for information of Arnova/Lazer

Originally posted by absurd2 View Post
              +2.

Comment

Working...
              X