Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arnova 10G2 Finless Bob's "GingerComb" Custom ROM Version 2.0

UPDATE! May 22, 2012

A few graphics bugs are now fixed. For instance Temple Run would not work. That is all fixed.
    New ROM version is now 2.0A. I have updaed the download link befow for the full ROM kit.

However for those that already have downloaded 2.0 and just want the new 2.0A system.img to replace in the 2.0 kit. Here is the download link. Just replace system.img in the inage folder of the ROM kit and do a full reflash of the ROM. Yes including erase IDB! Don't forget to reboot right after first boot up!

System Update -> Arnova 10 G2 - "GingerComb" Finless 2.0A System.img file (77 megs)

Enjoy,
    Bob

Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000003.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	438139 Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000002.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	438140

Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000005.jpg
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	438141 Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000004.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	438142

OK folks.... my very first ROM 2.0 created by me. This is not just a rooted ROM with some performance enhancements. It really is a ROM I put together built from pieces AND a lot of my sweat fixing problems with hardware and compatibility.

So want to know what my 2.0 ROM is before flashing it? Watch the video I made:

VIDEO -> Arnova 10G2 Finless 2.0 GingerComb ROM - Overview and Instructions (65 megs)

NOTE: REBOOT AFTER FIRST BOOT UP AFTER FLASHING THIS ROM!
    If you do not reboot right away, the screen may not work, SDcard may not show up, Sound wont work, etc.

OK so this is in my README.TXT in the ROM kit. Please be sure to read that as it has much more instructions!

Here is the synopsis:

So what the heck is this ROM you ask?
    Here is the story:
    I was rooting a ROM for Damo of FreakTab for the Cube U9GT. It is a GingerBread kernel with a Honeycomb user interface.
    After I was done I decided to try my Arnova 10 G2 kernel with all the Cube's system files.
    LOW AND BEHOLD it booted and worked well! Some things did not work though like sound, wifi, etc.
    So I went to work trying to find out how to fix those things. Took me about 2 weeks but I got it all working.
    Well everything I could test anyway.
    It was a great learning experience and I learned more about Android OS in the process.

So NOW.... Are there any bugs in this ROM? I cannot be 100% sure. While I have tested everything that
    SHOULD WORK, this does not mean it is totally bug free! The ROM has not had long term testing.
    Will every APP you had before run? Heck I do not know! No possible way to test them all.
    Realize this is a VERY DIFFERENT ROM now.

The bottom line I HAD to use the stock Arnova Kernel (Arnova Philly Kernel).
    So this ROM is A GingerBread Kernel with a full replacement of everything else.
    Other than the kernel it is a Honeycomb system.

YOU WILL BE MY FIRST "real" TEST SUBJECTS! SO BE WARNED!!!!!!

SOME MORE WARNINGS and notes - SO PLEASE READ THEM.
    1) The Honeycomb UI allows hiding of the status bar for apps automatically (The app must do this)!
    This for sure will fix things like the Kindle reader app
    BUT there can be some old Gingerbread APPs that you will NOT BE ABLE TO EXIT from.
    Doing a reset is not a good way either! It can corrupt files systems!
    PLEASE AFTER FLASHING, go to the market and get Button Savior app. I am sure some APP will lock
    you out and you will need it!
    This is NOT the ROMs fault. Some older apps just were
    NOT written well to be used on Honeycomb.

2) Titanium restores from your old ROM. While I did do this and tested it myself, I DO NOT
    recommend you do this. Some apps may play dirty with memory allocation. Even Titanium backup
    people state NOT to do a restore from a upgraded ROM period!
    So if you run into bugs PLEASE do not complain if you did a restore from your old ROM!
    If you report a bug to me, please make sure it is from a clean install and not a restore.
    I recommend backing up your APPs via ES File Explorer (free) as it will basically just back
    up the APPS and not the data. The data and system data is the problem here when restoring
    from an older ROM to an upgrade ROM. Then once done, flash this new ROM and install
    your apps that you backed up by hand. ES puts them in /sdcard/backup/app

3) I have debloated this ROM from the Cube system files. It was heavily bloated.
    Thus on first boot you will have some broken widgets on your desktop.
    Just remove them right away. Hold your finger on them and drag to the top trash can.

4) Settings menu. I have left all the settings the Cube came with.
    While the settings menu all works (no force close) of course some of the settings
    DO NOTHING on the Arnova because it doesnt have the hardware.
    So don't expect just because it shows up in settings, that it magically works now.

5) I used the Latest Arnova 10G2 kernel from the Philly ROM. This has some bug fixes over the older
    10G2 kernel. However recently some have reported their 3G sticks stopped working on this kernel
    AND that OpenVPN also does not work. Let’s see if that is the same with this 2.0 ROM.
    If it is, later I will make a 2.0 ROM using the older kernel like my 1.5D ROM.

6) I modified build.prop to hopefully give you all the best of Google Play as far as
    what apps show up, etc. It is now a morph of a Galaxy Tab.
    BUT in doing so this may break other apps!
    For instance APPsLIB will not work as it says it is not compatible.
    Aldiko book reader will also not work. But these were made for the Arnova NOT the galaxy tab.
    If you do not want this build.prop then since you are rooted, you can replace it but to do it
    right here is what you do:
    a) Get your stock build.prop from my 1.5 ROM or the stock ROM from the /system folder.
    b) rename the build.prop in this 2.0 ROM to build.old
    c) Copy the stock build.prop back into /system
    d) The important part! YOU MUST DO A DATA FACTORY RESET and erase everything (except SDcard of course).
    If you do not do this, the full build.prop will not be realized!

7) REPEAT..... this is my first "from the ground up" ROM. So did I say you all are in a sense TESTERS?
    If you didnt get the above, I am saying it again!
    Your help will make this an even better ROM later.

Features in 2.0 "GingerComb" ROM:
    1) This has all the same "performance" features of my 1.5 ROM.
    FAST and REAL ext4 file systems, 2gig app space, full root,etc.

2) This is a total debloat of the ROM. All apps, etc are removed except a file explorer as you have to have that to do
    anything later.
    However per request Google Play Market and contacts sync (required) are pre-installed.
    See below as I supply in this kit a APP injector by Petrus to put back things you may want.
    The reason for this is file system fragmentation! Having a ROM with a bunch of stuff you do not want in it, you remove
    them and then install others and this leaves the file system a mess. Especially on NAND memory devices! Now you can
    install what you want after flashing and keep a nice clean file system

3) A real LOCK SCREEN! You guys asked for it and you got it
    It took me a while to get this working on the Arnova too.....

4) A full "settings" menu system! This is something many have asked for. Accounts and Sync settings works
    as do many other things. However read the warning above about settings the Arnova does NOT have the hardware for.

5) Network location WORKS ON EVERYTHING NOW!!! Yea... that really ticked me off on the other Arnova ROMs and I never could fix it. Arnova put something in library files to block it.
    So it works not just on Google Apps like Maps, it works on every APP I have tried that uses location services.

6) As stated above the status bar can now be hidden! It is up to the APP to do this.
    However in GO Launcher (if you chose to use that launcher) is a setting for operation that allows
    you to use a swipe up or down feature to actually hide the status bar on the desktop!
    Very cool and it works.

7) Updated build.prop to a galaxy Tab Arnova morph. Read the warning above about it.
    From my testing this setup gives the most amount of apps to show up in Google Play.
    YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY! This was my preference after testing a lot.

8) Like my 1.5 ROM this is debloated and I provide App injector to put back what you want.
    I also provided with App Injector the full suite of Google Apps.
    PLEASE READ THE APP INJECTOR INSTRUCTIONS BELOW!!!!

OK I know your all bored reading so here is the ROM download link

ROM -> Arnova 10 G2 - "GingerComb" Finless 2.0A ROM (215 megs)

Hope you all enjoy it
    Bob
    Last edited by Finless; 11-25-2012, 22:40.
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Downloading now, will flash and test in morning though (1:15 in morning here).
    Many thanks for all your hard work on this.

Comment

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

Holy crap fast! It feels like it booted before it finished flashing. Let a brotha know if you set up an EDU fund!
      "May the Schwartz be with you"

Comment

Flashing now!

Originally posted by Finless View Post
        OK folks.... my very first ROM 2.0 created by me. This is not just a rooted ROM with some performance enhancements. It really is a ROM I put together built from pieces AND a lot of my sweat fixing problems with hardware and compatibility.

So want to know what my 2.0 ROM is before flashing it? Watch the video I made:

VIDEO -> Arnova 10G2 Finless 2.0 GingerComb ROM - Overview and Instructions (65 megs)

OK so this is in my README.TXT in the ROM kit. Please be sure to read that as it has much more instructions!

Here is the synopsis:

So what the heck is this ROM you ask?
        Here is the story:
        I was rooting a ROM for Damo of FreakTab for the Cube U9GT. It is a GingerBread kernel with a Honeycomb user interface.
        After I was done I decided to try my Arnova 10 G2 kernel with all the Cube's system files.
        LOW AND BEHOLD it booted and worked well! Some things did not work though like sound, wifi, etc.
        So I went to work trying to find out how to fix those things. Took me about 2 weeks but I got it all working.
        Well everything I could test anyway.
        It was a great learning experience and I learned more about Android OS in the process.

So NOW.... Are there any bugs in this ROM? I cannot be 100% sure. While I have tested everything that
        SHOULD WORK, this does not mean it is totally bug free! The ROM has not had long term testing.
        Will every APP you had before run? Heck I do not know! No possible way to test them all.
        Realize this is a VERY DIFFERENT ROM now.

The bottom line I HAD to use the stock Arnova Kernel (Arnova Philly Kernel).
        So this ROM is A GingerBread Kernel with a full replacement of everything else.
        Other than the kernel it is a Honeycomb system.

YOU WILL BE MY FIRST "real" TEST SUBJECTS! SO BE WARNED!!!!!!

SOME MORE WARNINGS and notes - SO PLEASE READ THEM.
        1) The Honeycomb UI allows hiding of the status bar for apps automatically (The app must do this)!
        This for sure will fix things like the Kindle reader app
        BUT there can be some old Gingerbread APPs that you will NOT BE ABLE TO EXIT from.
        Doing a reset is not a good way either! It can corrupt files systems!
        PLEASE AFTER FLASHING, go to the market and get Button Savior app. I am sure some APP will lock
        you out and you will need it! This is NOT the ROMs fault. Some older apps just were
        NOT written well to be used on Honeycomb.

2) Titanium restores from your old ROM. While I did do this and tested it myself, I DO NOT
        recommend you do this. Some apps may play dirty with memory allocation. Even Titanium backup
        people state NOT to do a restore from a upgraded ROM period!
        So if you run into bugs PLEASE do not complain if you did a restore from your old ROM!
        If you report a bug to me, please make sure it is from a clean install and not a restore.
        I recommend backing up your APPs via ES File Explorer (free) as it will basically just back
        up the APPS and not the data. The data and system data is the problem here when restoring
        from an older ROM to an upgrade ROM. Then once done, flash this new ROM and install
        your apps that you backed up by hand. ES puts them in /sdcard/backup/app

3) I have debloated this ROM from the Cube system files. It was heavily bloated.
        Thus on first boot you will have some broken widgets on your desktop.
        Just remove them right away. Hold your finger on them and drag to the top trash can.

4) Settings menu. I have left all the settings the Cube came with.
        While the settings menu all works (no force close) of course some of the settings
        DO NOTHING on the Arnova because it doesnt have the hardware.
        So don't expect just because it shows up in settings, that it magically works now.

5) I used the Latest Arnova 10G2 kernel from the Philly ROM. This has some bug fixes over the older
        10G2 kernel. However recently some have reported their 3G sticks stopped working on this kernel
        AND that OpenVPN also does not work. Let’s see if that is the same with this 2.0 ROM.
        If it is, later I will make a 2.0 ROM using the older kernel like my 1.5D ROM.

6) I modified build.prop to hopefully give you all the best of Google Play as far as
        what apps show up, etc. It is now a morph of a Galaxy Tab.
        BUT in doing so this may break other apps!
        For instance APPsLIB will not work as it says it is not compatible.
        Aldiko book reader will also not work. But these were made for the Arnova NOT the galaxy tab.
        If you do not want this build.prop then since you are rooted, you can replace it but to do it
        right here is what you do:
        a) Get your stock build.prop from my 1.5 ROM or the stock ROM from the /system folder.
        b) rename the build.prop in this 2.0 ROM to build.old
        c) Copy the stock build.prop back into /system
        d) The important part! YOU MUST DO A DATA FACTORY RESET and erase everything (except SDcard of course).
        If you do not do this, the full build.prop will not be realized!

7) REPEAT..... this is my first "from the ground up" ROM. So did I say you all are in a sense TESTERS?
        If you didnt get the above, I am saying it again!
        Your help will make this an even better ROM later.

Features in 2.0 "GingerComb" ROM:
        1) This has all the same "performance" features of my 1.5 ROM.
        FAST and REAL ext4 file systems, 2gig app space, full root,etc.

2) This is a total debloat of the ROM. All apps, etc are removed except a file explorer as you have to have that to do
        anything later.
        However per request Google Play Market and contacts sync (required) are pre-installed.
        See below as I supply in this kit a APP injector by Petrus to put back things you may want.
        The reason for this is file system fragmentation! Having a ROM with a bunch of stuff you do not want in it, you remove
        them and then install others and this leaves the file system a mess. Especially on NAND memory devices! Now you can
        install what you want after flashing and keep a nice clean file system

3) A real LOCK SCREEN! You guys asked for it and you got it
        It took me a while to get this working on the Arnova too.....

4) A full "settings" menu system! This is something many have asked for. Accounts and Sync settings works
        as do many other things. However read the warning above about settings the Arnova does NOT have the hardware for.

5) Network location WORKS ON EVERYTHING NOW!!! Yea... that really ticked me off on the other Arnova ROMs and I never could fix it. Arnova put something in library files to block it.
        So it works not just on Google Apps like Maps, it works on every APP I have tried that uses location services.

6) As stated above the status bar can now be hidden! It is up to the APP to do this.
        However in GO Launcher (if you chose to use that launcher) is a setting for operation that allows
        you to use a swipe up or down feature to actually hide the status bar on the desktop!
        Very cool and it works.

7) Updated build.prop to a galaxy Tab Arnova morph. Read the warning above about it.
        From my testing this setup gives the most amount of apps to show up in Google Play.
        YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY! This was my preference after testing a lot.

8) Like my 1.5 ROM this is debloated and I provide App injector to put back what you want.
        I also provided with App Injector the full suite of Google Apps.
        PLEASE READ THE APP INJECTOR INSTRUCTIONS BELOW!!!!

OK I know your all bored reading so here is the ROM download link

ROM -> Arnova 10 G2 - "GingerComb" Finless 2.0 ROM (215 megs)

Hope you all enjoy it
        Bob
        Flashing now.

Thanks Bob
        I used to long for an Ipad, but couldn't afford one.

Now I have an Arnova 10 G2, with Gingercomb V2.0 rom.

I am so glad I made the right choice.

Finless is my god

Comment

Couldn't resist flashing now.
          OH NO.
          After flash, new bootscreen came up, then rebooting, now nothing happens.
          I can't reset it or re-enter the flash mode (by holding Vol+ & reset)
          Edit: the pc 'beeps' as though usb being reset, but rk-tool says 'No Found RKAndroid rock usb'

Any help or suggestions.

I'm nearly bald as it is, I don't want to pull any more hair out.
          Last edited by Gargoyle; 05-21-2012, 02:44.

Comment

Rom Installed!

Originally posted by m0tec View Post
            Flashing now.

Thanks Bob
            Thanks Bob,

New Rom installed with no problems.

Will install apps tomorrow.

It's 2am here :-)
            I used to long for an Ipad, but couldn't afford one.

Now I have an Arnova 10 G2, with Gingercomb V2.0 rom.

I am so glad I made the right choice.

Finless is my god

Comment

New ROM installed flawlessly. Great work!!!

Now I'm getting used to new GUI. Button Savior is a must have app.

I wish Honeycomb had a way to clear all notifications.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
              Randy
              Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
              Read my BIO Here
              Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
              Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                New ROM installed flawlessly. Great work!!!

Now I'm getting used to new GUI. Button Savior is a must have app.

I wish Honeycomb had a way to clear all notifications.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
                Unfortunately that is a honeycomb bug which Google never fixed :thumbdown:

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
                Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
                <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
                <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
                <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
                https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
                </form>

Comment

Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
                  Couldn't resist flashing now.
                  OH NO.
                  After flash, new bootscreen came up, then rebooting, now nothing happens.
                  I can't reset it or re-enter the flash mode (by holding Vol+ &amp; reset)
                  Edit: the pc 'beeps' as though usb being reset, but rk-tool says 'No Found RKAndroid rock usb'

Any help or suggestions.

I'm nearly bald as it is, I don't want to pull any more hair out.
                  Make sure the tab is definate off by holding the power off for ten seconds. Now start again. Make sure you erase idb and make sure that the loader at the top of the flash screen is selected

Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

<input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
                  </form>

Comment

Originally posted by Damo View Post
                    Make sure the tab is definate off by holding the power off for ten seconds. Now start again. Make sure you erase idb and make sure that the loader at the top of the flash screen is selected

On flashing the new ROM, I did the reset as usual and could access the 10G2 from RK29Update (1.29 in Bob's 2.0 zip)

Erased IDB
                    Ticked 'Loader', then 'Run'
                    Seemed to go well - no errors etc., Tablet reset and up popped new logo-screen, after several seconds, tablet went to reboot...
                    Now nothing.
                    When trying to re-enter flashing mode, when I press Vol+ & reset, after 3-4 secs PC beeps - USB Device not recognised. Then if I let go of reset pin-hole button, PC double-beeps but device isn't being found (even in device-manager) and RK29Update can't see it to try re-flashing.
                    If I hold Power for 10+ secs, again PC beeps an get 'device not recognised', but if i let go of power button, PC double-beeps again and is not found.

Any help or suggestions as to how to resolve this? (Or is it bad news?)

Comment

Just downloaded it.
                      I will try it tonight. Hard to wait

Comment

On flashing the new ROM, I did the reset as usual and could access the 10G2 from RK29Update (1.29 in Bob's 2.0 zip)

Erased IDB
                        Seemed to go well - no errors etc., Tablet reset and up popped new logo-screen, after several seconds, tablet went to reboot...
                        Now nothing.
                        When trying to re-enter flashing mode, when I press Vol+ & reset, after 3-4 secs PC beeps - USB Device not recognised. Then if I let go of reset pin-hole button, PC double-beeps but device isn't being found (even in device-manager) and RK29Update can't see it to try re-flashing.
                        If I hold Power for 10+ secs, again PC beeps an get 'device not recognised', but if i let go of power button, PC double-beeps again and is not found.

Can you attach the log file of the RK29Update Tool?

Comment

Fantastic so far, Thanks Bob

Well I flashed the 10g2 this morning, flashing was perfect no errors and nice and fast. The tablet loaded up no problems, only initial problem was that the touch screen did not work on the first reboot after the flash but after a power down and reboot this problem seems to of gone and the tablet now works perfectly. Fast and responsive is not the word, have only been using it for 10 mins though but so far so good. Bob you are a genius and if you do setup a "New Hardware Fund" count me in buddy.

Best Regards,
                          Scott.

Comment

Reply to Gargoyle

Gargoyle, I know this might sound stupid but have you tried another USB port on your system? it could be that using a different port will refresh the connection to the tablet, hold the power button down on the tab for 10 seconds even if there is nothing on the screen. Change to another USB port on your system then try and power the tab up as normal for a couple of seconds, then do the whole volume up and reset bit again. You never know it might help?

Scott.

Comment

Erased IDB
                              Now nothing.
                              When trying to re-enter flashing mode, when I press Vol+ &amp; reset, after 3-4 secs PC beeps - USB Device not recognised. Then if I let go of reset pin-hole button, PC double-beeps but device isn't being found (even in device-manager) and RK29Update can't see it to try re-flashing.

The fact that something is happening when you plug it in is a good thing.

Switch tab off

Plug into pc

Press the reset button and hold it

Press the volume plus button hold that as well

Immediately release the reset hole button, than release the volume button immediately after that

What should of happened is when the plugged your tablet in to pc when switched off the tablet first screen will come on, when you go through the above steps the screen goes black(recovery mode)

Start the flash tool in the Rom folder.

</form>

Comment

Working...
                              X