X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arnova 10G2 Finless Bob's "GingerComb" Custom ROM Version 2.1 CWM

UPDATE July 12, 2012!

This is version 2.1a ROM.
    If your happy with what you have (2.1), then you really do not need to update. However if you want this latest ROM..... Then feel free! I reccomend a full ROM flash! e.g. Erase IDB. But in my testing I also found you can do a CWM restore and it will work! Boot.img has not changed. Parameter file also did not change. Only system.img changed! So if you do a CWM backup, flash this ROM erasing IDB, let it come to the desktop, reboot into CWM, then do a restore.... It works fine!

2.1a adds the following to the ROM:

- This adds more /system space for rooted APPS. I found if you tried to install EVERYTHING from APP Injector, the system space filled up and not everything got installed! So really if you like to put things in /system liked rooted apps, you need this extra space!

- APP Injector package updated with all the latest APP updates from Google! No more updates cloging your system! Realize when you update a Google App that was installed in /system, it leaves the original in /system and puts the update in /data. Thus cloging you up a little (wasted NAND (disk) space).

- SU and SuperUser.apk updated to the latest.

- New WPA_Supplicant Binary for support connecting to ADHOC WiFi Networks (for tethering to a phone etc).

The new ROM download has been updated in the link below. You will know you have the new ROM if the file name says:
    arnova10g2_gingercomb_finless21a_cwm.zip

Enjoy,
    Bob

Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000002.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	438119 Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000003.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	438120

Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000004.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	438121 Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000005.jpg
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	438122

Hi Folks So here is my 2.1 ROM with BETA 2 of ClockWork Mod.

2.1 is really my 2.0D with all of the fixes found to date and I have added CLockwork Mod. Now the testing of CWM was odd I must say. Most it worked for. Some had problems which I cannot repeat myself. It works for me 100%. Heck I can even flash 2.1 and restore 2.0 with no problems at all and visa versa.

Remember though. If you backup say 2.0 and flash 2.1 and try to restore 2.0, YOU WILL be back on 2.0 if you do a full restore! This is because it writes boot.img and system.img BACK! THis is in fact how CWM is suppose to work folks! If you want to try a "advanced" restore and restore your data and setting you can try it. Do an advanced restore and ONLY restore data and cache. If it does not work well... thats the way it goes! CWM is never a 100% gaurentee when you try to restore from different ROMs.

Now for those that dont want to use CWM.... Don't! It will not effect how the ROM works at all! Just on first boot after flash you will get the CWM menu. Select reboot now. DONE... you will never see CWM menu again unless you want to.

Want to know more about what CWM is? Read this:
    http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...omplete-guide/

Also in the new APP Injector package is Petrus' reboot app. Install this if you want to reboot into recovery from the OS. Other apps wont do it for reasons I have gone into before. It's how Arnova decided to remove support for recovery from the kernel.

And more good news! I got permission from the maker of Button Savior! So that is now cooked into the ROM as a system app

OK for those that do not know what 2.0 is and want to know before flashing 2.1 which again is 2.0 with fixes and CWM, please read this post:

Now last tidbit. Again this does not support 3G sticks. I have explained why many times. I am using the latest Arnova 10 G2 "philly" kernel. This kernel has fixes in it that in my opinion are needed over what the old 10 G2 kernel had. BUT when Arnova made this kernel they killed 3G stick support. I have tried to make this 2.1 ROM using the old kernel but it has major problems with the honeycomb framework. So I will do my best to try more to get 3G sticks working but there is no gaurentee! Sorry but dont blame me for this. Email Arnova and tell them to fix the kernel.

Ok with all that said, here is the 2.1 ROM:

ROM -> Arnova 10 G2 - "GingerComb" Finless 2.1a CWM ROM (215 megs)

Enjoy,
    Bob

Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

Damo - Forum Moderator

Please Click the Donate Button

PS

If you are having trouble with the above link when using Tapatalk than here is the email link for donations below

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=ZYCM4NZ4J6F3G

Thank You
    Last edited by Damo; 07-13-2012, 15:38.
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Hi Bob
    First a big thank you for your efforts I have been using 1.5 for a while and am very impressed. I will give this a try glad you got clockwork mod working. Just one question do you have md5 for the file?

Comment

Many congrats Bob, marvelous Rom, best yet! Simple flash process, super quick, inclusion of button saviour was a great surprise! New memory management is evident and really makes a diff. Great work Bob! Quick question, i cant for the life of me find how to set my own wallpaper without using a 3rd party app, im sure there were wallpaper options previously? The option from the home screen only shows a few stock wallpapers....

Comment

Just like any ROM including stock. The wallpapers that come with the framework-res.apk is all there is to choose from. However to use one other than what is built in, you must have gallery3d.apk installed (in this ROM using APP Injector put back gallery). Then when you go to change wall papers instead of clicking wall papers you click the gallery icon in the list. This will load gallery and any pictures it knows about and can find. Then you select and resize the image in gallery and click SAVE. It will now be your wallpaper.

Bob

Comment

thanks Bob, out of luck i did try as you suggest - but the gallery icon still isnt there. i also installed flash and a few other things from the app injector as normal, but not all seemed to install (even after a reboot). Flash and gallery didnt appear, i had to install flash from an apk i had lying around.....

Comment

having a look inside the package.zip i can see the flashplayer has no apk extension - does this make a diff?

Update, it seems that installing a few items in one go with app injector leads to some not being installed, reinstalling the missing items a second time seems to do the trick
            Last edited by gsteruk; 06-16-2012, 21:31.

Comment

I am not sure why your getting that. I tested APP Injector and told it to install everything and it worked for me. It sounds like you do not have super user permission.

When you got the SUPER USER request prompt with APP Injector, did you select yes? If you accidentlly bypassed that or selected NO by accident, then you will have this problem.

FYI, flash player is not a APK so you know.

Bob

Comment

FYI to check, open the superuser APP and look at the list. APP Injector should be set to allow not deny!
                Even if it is there remove it from the list completely and try again.

Bob

Comment

Cheers bob, all seems well now :-) got to say this is a killer rom! For ages i havent been able to browse and listen to audio without skips. No problem now! Yay! Also aldiko is working great now, a few probs in previous roms, runs great now :-)

Comment

Originally posted by gsteruk View Post
                    Cheers bob, all seems well now :-) got to say this is a killer rom! For ages i havent been able to browse and listen to audio without skips. No problem now! Yay! Also aldiko is working great now, a few probs in previous roms, runs great now :-)
                    Thats odd. I had to take Aldiko out of APP Injector because it would force close with this ROM. Even if I installed it from Google Play manually it would not work for me anymore. The Aldiko you get from Google Play was compiled for very old Android versions.

Bob

Comment

Installed without a hitch and have been testing for a couple of hours now. My favourite games all work fine,including Temple Run,Yay,!
                      Some bad news though,One of the first things I always install is Dropbox, I use on my computer and phone as well, but unfortunately it refuses to run at all, although It worked fine with with 2.0a.
                      I am still very pleased with Gingercomb. Thanks again Bob!

sent from my Arnova 10 G2

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                        Thats odd. I had to take Aldiko out of APP Injector because it would force close with this ROM. Even if I installed it from Google Play manually it would not work for me anymore. The Aldiko you get from Google Play was compiled for very old Android versions.

Bob
                        Yeah i remember you talking about that, i thought i would give it a go from play store, no issues at all

Comment

Originally posted by Daviwal View Post
                          Installed without a hitch and have been testing for a couple of hours now. My favourite games all work fine,including Temple Run,Yay,!
                          Some bad news though,One of the first things I always install is Dropbox, I use on my computer and phone as well, but unfortunately it refuses to run at all, although It worked fine with with 2.0a.
                          I am still very pleased with Gingercomb. Thanks again Bob!

OK I just went to Gplay and installed dropbox app. It runs fine for me.
                          So maybe something I removed as part of debloat has to be put back. Stock browser? Stock Email App? or something like that. e.g. it may have a dependancy on one of those issing stock apps?

Bob

Comment

Dropbox works for me too

Comment

Really sorry Bob, ignore what I said. I went to settings/applications and cleared the data for Dropbox. It now works fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X