Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Archos Arnova in violation of GPL and work is in process to make them compliant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archos Arnova in violation of GPL and work is in process to make them compliant!

OK I have been able to actually get the 10b G3 ICS ROM to boot on my Arnova 10G2. The touch screen does not work which is pretty major.

After doing a HELL of a lot of research, it is turning out that ICS has in a MAJOR WAY changed how the touch screen drivers work. In other words getting the touch screen to work on ICS with a Gingerbread Kernel looks like it is NOT going to happen! It's too much of a major change

The fact that I can get ICS to even boot and up to the 10b G3 startup wizard was a feat in and of itself!!! I thought I had it nailed at that point!
    But without a working touch screen..... What use is it?

I have not fully given up trying yet my friends but I will say, I think this will be a NO GO long term

It's going to take Arnova/Archos giving up kernel source code for both the 10G2 and 10bG3 for me to do it!

Please folks.... Rally the team and POUND them with requests. They MUST by GPL standards release the source code. I SERIOUSLY think their lack of responses to this request so far is BULLCRAP!

HELP! If you guys ever want ICS on the G2 Arnova line.... Arnova is NOT going to do it! Only WE can do it! And to do it they MUST release kernel sources! It's required by GPL standards and they are seriously not following that requirement!

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

OK guess what....

I hate to bring lawyers into this but I just got off the phone with a lawyer friend of mine that works in Open Source law and Intellectual Property. He is a big time Corporate lawyer too

He actually can file against Arnova (actually Archos) for non-GPL complaince! He said he can file to stop any distribution of Arnova/Archos products in the USA if they do not comply with GPL requirements and release the source code! He said this can take 6 months to do but in fact he has done it before many times. e.g. not stopped distribution of the products but got the manufacturer to release source code as required!

Now, he is a friend of mine and said he would help pro-bono but only on his free time. But seriously, I am going to have him start the paper work to make this happen. He thinks the first letter from his law firm directly to Archos (the holding company for Arnova), will possibly resolve this without further hassles. He says most companies when they get hit with this, give up the sources.

So let's see how it rolls! I hate to take it to this level... but I think it is about time with Arnova.

Again.... I am not here to stop Arnova products in the USA but thier lack of responses to source requests is BS. You can't go after a China company for US law, but you sure as hell can make them STOP having distribution rights for product in the USA by violating USA law!.... And he says THAT'S what can make them think twice!

Stay tuned... I am going to get the ball rolling......

Bob

Comment

I have no problem with this at all. We've besieged HTC with requests for kernel source, and they drag their feet, but ultimately push it out. There's no excuse for Archos not to have released the source for these tablets.
      Asus Transformer TF300T - ROOTED, with TWRP recovery and stock Jellybean
      HTC Rezound - ROOTED with S-OFF, running stock ICS
      Android obsessed since April 29, 2010

Comment

you sir are correct

You are absolutely right bob, if they're not compiling with a law they need to have a fire lit under them. Hell,if it was one of us would they not do the same ..Bully for you Bob!!!
        freaktab art developer if you like my work please buy me a pepsi

Comment

Thanks for your perseverance on this.
          "May the Schwartz be with you"

Comment

Go get them Bob, how cool would it be if all it took was for your friend to mail them with a threat to stop distribution for them to release the kernel source code and we could have ICS on the tabs

Comment

MeeToo

I have also asked Arnova for the source code, with no response. I bought my 10bg3 from Adorama and they have said in email that Arnova is planning to release the source in the near future to comply with gpl.

john

Comment

Can you point us in the direction of contact information for Arnova? Should we just write to Archos?
                Asus Transformer TF300T - ROOTED, with TWRP recovery and stock Jellybean
                HTC Rezound - ROOTED with S-OFF, running stock ICS
                Android obsessed since April 29, 2010

Comment

email

Originally posted by HaroldG View Post
                  Can you point us in the direction of contact information for Arnova? Should we just write to Archos?
                  I used contact support on the Arnova website

I also emailed the supplier where the unit was purchased

john

Comment

Thank you so much Bob for the energy and fresh spirit you put in this community
                    I'm not too much into lawyers, but when you meet him, please give your lawrer friend which gives us his free time my appreciation.
                    He really has the spirit I like We really need such guys on the law side

Comment

So latest status from Archos/Arnova USA in Chicago Il:

"We cannot release the source code as it is proprietary to our company".

They do not seem to understand GPL licensing?

I have nothing against Chinese manufacturers and their developers. But it is clear they possibly do not understand Android OS the the GPL licensing requirements? If they think the sources are proprietary, they are wrong!
                      Being a outside the US company, it is hard to enforce the US laws to them. As I stated above, the ONLY way is to try and stop their ability to distribute product in the USA.

To that note we are proceeding with that action.

The first step is we are reporting this copyright violation to:

http://gpl-violations.org/

The next step is to file a copyright violation to the US Copyright Office. The neat thing here is the company I work for, my team are the ones that file all software copyrights so I know how to proceed with this already
                      So this is moving forward TODAY! I cant thank my lawyer friend enough for doing this probono!

The final step is to file a NON-Distribution act with the US Commerce department once Copyright violations have been identified. This is the longer part of this process. What most Chinese companies do is it let this RIDE until the product is out of date and then do the cycle all over again. However! I know how to deal with this just like in my real job! Archos and Arnova are making new products with Android OS and GPL code. I will make sure 100% the copyright claim covers existing products and ANYTHING GPL based they are releasing now or in the future.

Finally... Archos if you are reading this I suggest you have a close look at this URL. YOU MUST RELEASE SOURCE CODE!

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resou...nce-guide.html

Soon they will fully understand GPL licensing and the requirements to release kernel source code in order to comply with GPL licensing requirements in the USA!

Stay tuned, it is getting a little more interesting now....

I am not one to sit on my ASS and let this ride. Many other tablet manufcaturers like Cube, Ainol, etc have released source code. I wont stop until the tablet I have gets compliant! They just do not know who they are dealing with.... I have the time and the will! It might be a $200 tablet and many might ask... WHY? But it's a GOAL and I have set it. I don't give up easily especially by companies that "think" they can get away with this BS to customers.

I will fill you all in as this progresses.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                        So latest status from Archos/Arnova USA in Chicago Il:

"We cannot release the source code as it is proprietary to our company".

They do not seem to understand GPL licensing?

I have nothing against Chinese manufacturers and their developers. But it is clear they possibly do not understand Android OS the the GPL licensing requirements? If they think the sources are proprietary, they are wrong!
                        Being a outside the US company, it is hard to enforce the US laws to them. As I stated above, the ONLY way is to try and stop their ability to distribute product in the USA.

To that note we are proceeding with that action.

The first step is we are reporting this copyright violation to:

http://gpl-violations.org/

The next step is to file a copyright violation to the US Copyright Office. The neat thing here is the company I work for, my team are the ones that file all software copyrights so I know how to proceed with this already
                        So this is moving forward TODAY! I cant thank my lawyer friend enough for doing this probono!

The final step is to file a NON-Distribution act with the US Commerce department once Copyright violations have been identified. This is the longer part of this process. What most Chinese companies do is it let this RIDE until the product is out of date and then do the cycle all over again. However! I know how to deal with this just like in my real job! Archos and Arnova are making new products with Android OS and GPL code. I will make sure 100% the copyright claim covers existing products and ANYTHING GPL based they are releasing now or in the future.

Finally... Archos if you are reading this I suggest you have a close look at this URL. YOU MUST RELEASE SOURCE CODE!

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resou...nce-guide.html

Soon they will fully understand GPL licensing and the requirements to release kernel source code in order to comply with GPL licensing requirements in the USA!

Stay tuned, it is getting a little more interesting now....

I am not one to sit on my ASS and let this ride. Many other tablet manufcaturers like Cube, Ainol, etc have released source code. I wont stop until the tablet I have gets compliant! They just do not know who they are dealing with.... I have the time and the will! It might be a $200 tablet and many might ask... WHY? But it's a GOAL and I have set it. I don't give up easily especially by companies that "think" they can get away with this BS to customers.

I will fill you all in as this progresses.

Bob
                        Bob - "Open up a can of whoop-ass!" & " Who let the dogs out!" spring to mind. Awesome news....

Comment

Legal Actions

.whilst you are at it can you also sort out our corrupt bankers.

Comment

Nice one Bob - good to see some action by someone who really can stick it to them.

Comment

i have been emailing arnova and archos for quite some time now and recently got a response from someone in the archos camp.

------------
                              quote from a archos employe
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              "I have requested this in the past and have been informed that this is not possible. if you would like to contact our head office regarding this, please email either [email protected] or [email protected]. "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so if people are still emailing archos those emails are best to aim for

and bob you are the man, and you're lawyer friend deserves respect as well

Comment

Working...
                              X