Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arnova 7B G2 "R" Custom ROM with Market3.4.4 by Finless Version 1.4

OK... next up!
    A FreakTab user with my help dumped his ROM of the 7B G2 Dual Touch Resistive screen tablet as he wanted it rooted!
    So now all set for you guys too!

This is for the 7b G2 Dual Touch Resistive Screen ONLY! Do not flash this on a capacitive screen 7G2 or 7bG2 (if there is such a thing).

WARNING! This is one of the few ROMs that will not work on my 10G2. I have no way to test if this is a brick ROM. If it is I have made 7G2 ROMs before so I know I can fix it. But I am not 100% sure this will work so read posts below about users that tried it and if it works.

OK so this ROM has all my 1.4 capabilities as stated below.

Enjoy,
    Bob

WARNING! Remove your SDCard when flashing this ROM!!! There is a risk it can be ERASED!!!

This has been a lot of work by many other people. I HAVE to give total PROPS to FreakTab user Fenice57. His first ext4 setup was not quite right. We all worked together and Fenice solved the problem by highly modifying the recovery system.

ext4 explanation:
    Understand the history. After a ROM flash the recovery system formats everything. Well without a change in that it simply reformatted anything back to ext3. The ext4.ko kernel modules handled mounting an ext3 partition even if the mount command said to mount as ext4!!! It even reported it mounted as ext4!!! Go figure that one So lot's of testing and benchmarking later..... We have a real ext4 file system!
    So there was no ext4 file system to benefit from in previous work. The improved ext4 kernel modules gave a little performance add but not much. However Fenice57 worked HARD on solving this and modified the recovery system to stop the format to ext3. Sowa and myself also added in testing and showing the issues. But Fenice is the MAN! He solved it.

Fenice57... Can I just say THANK YOU! Everyone that uses my 1.4 ROM. Please also give a hand to Fenie57!

OK so what’s in this ROM 1.4
    It's the same as 1.3 with a couple more tweaks on my part based on user feedback and a couple of other slim downs in code I have done to init.rc, updated lib modules, etc.

1) WiFi scan interval is changed from 15 seconds to 300. This may help some guys with battery issues. Myself, I do not have this problem but due to many asking for it, I put it in. If you want to change it back:
    Use a file manager and copy out from /system the file build.prop file. Copy it on your SDCard. Then copy to PC or whatever. Edit the file and find this line:
    wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=300
    Just edit the 300 back to 15 and your back to stock.

2) ext4 file system.. Well I explained the work that went into this above but just to add. I have done extensive benchmarking with many tools. This does not add a huge performance increase to the overall use of the tablet. EXCEPT, and this is actually kind of benefit, Sequential Write of files to memory. Large file writes are over double what they were on ext3. Random Read and Random Write are about the same. So where you should see an increase is downloads to Tablet memory, market download and install speed, some apps that write to memory a lot, etc etc etc. Overall however, the tablet seems much faster to me but remember, I am the cooker so I am biased

3) Because of popular use of Hauwei 3G sticks in Europe and Asia, I added this Fenice57 mods for support of this. I cannot and have no way to test this patch. So hopefully I implemented this properly. You guys I am sure will let me know
    3g USB-modem Hauwei models E1550 E1692 E1750 E1820 *

Ok well that’s it. I was working on a dual boot setup but that will have to wait for 1.5

Below is the download link for my 7b G2 Resistive Screen1.4 ROM

ROM -> Arnova 7b G2 Dual Touch Resistive Screen - version 1.4 by Finless (85 megs)

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH ANDROID MARKET

Market issues. Market issue "may" still exist. This is common on tablets that are not really supported by Google as a registered device. Most users have no issues but sometimes there can be, The 2 issues that seem to arise when your FIRST TIME try to use the Market are:

A) Cannot logon; "Cannot establish a reliable data connection" I have tried to recreate this and troubleshoot this. My belief if in fact this happens sometimes when Google servers are doing something or something is going on with them. When I had this happen once I simply waited a while and it worked later. So I cannot help too much here. My only suggestion to try is this
    a) Install a root file manager like root explorer or ES file manager (enable root access for them)
    b) Go in with the file manager and delete /data/misc/imei/imei or data.dat which ever one exists

B) Limited apps listed; I have reproduced this and know how to recreate it and fix it! This has to do (I beleive) that after a factory reset or a flash the tablet creates a ID based on some other IDs and a random key generator. Sometimes this ID Google does not like. So we have to clear that and reboot. YOU DO NOT EVER NEED TO REFLASH OR DO A FACOTRY RESET TO FIX THIS!!!!
    DO the following
    a) Again using a file manager that has root access go in and delete the follow folders from the /data/data directory.
    com.android.vending (not com.applib.vending!)
    com.android.vending.updater
    com.google.android.gm
    com.google.android.gsf
    b) Reboot and do nothing else but run the Market. YOu should get a prompt asking you to accept the Google terms of service. If you did not you did something wrong. Do it again. If you do get the prompt, accept and now the Market should work fully with TONS of apps showing up.
    OK so thats it.... I hope you enjoy my new ROM. Please feel free
    Again, this ROM was a combined effort from a few people and I could not have done it without them!

Oh and also....special thanks to Freaktab user Daman for an awesome boot screen and a LOW COST boot animation that will show people if the Tab is bricked or actually booting! When I say a low cost boot animation I tested it. With out it the boot time was only 4 seconds longer! But the beauty is unlike complex boot animations out there, this one gives the user feedback showing something is happening rather than wondering if it is a brick! GOOD JOB Daman and thank you!
    If you the user wants to remove it, since you are rooted , just go into /system/media and delete the file bootanimation.zip. But I think you may find you like it so I personally enjoy it and will keep it

Bob

Tutorial for installing drivers for flashing-[URL]http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?184-Installing-Rockchip-drivers

Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

Damo - Forum Moderator

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE LINK BELOW

PS

If you are having trouble with the above link when using Tapatalk than here is the email link for donations below

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=ZYCM4NZ4J6F3G

Thank You
    Last edited by Damo; 07-13-2012, 14:20.
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Arnova 7b G2

Greetings,

Thank you very much. GJ everyone involved.
    Awesome work.

After a couple hours of testing i can say everything works great.
    At first,
    • I had troubles staying connected to WiFi (tablet kept scanning pretty often), it got fixed after i connected to another hot spot.
    • I had encountered the "Cannot establish a reliable data connection" issue, solved it with a factory reset.
    Now it works perfectly.

I don't have a 3g modem to test it. Usb keyboard - usb host not working but never did.
    Tested a few 3d games, all seem to run smooth, video calling over y! and voice calling to mobile, other tablets and pcs works great. Installed all apps and widgets i daily use on my phone, expect Skype video feature witch seems to have an issue (could be a conflict with Y! app), Everything else seems to be alright and work proper.

Thank you again. I will return with more feedback.

Comment

Hello , i have the arnova 7bg2

can you make a little how to , about installing it , it only has one button, i dont know how to enter it to service mode.

thanks

Comment

Instructions are in the readme.txt

Bob

Comment

help...i tried doing the flashing...flashed successfully but in the calibration mode, my screen doesnt respond..

tried to read again the notes and there i saw this is just for resistive.....silly of me!!!

i got an arnova 7b g2 "Capacitive"..that's the problem, screen doesnt respond

anybody there who has the stock system img for this coz i tried looking around the web but cant find one..

if there is already a custom rom for capacitive arnova 7b g2, that might be better..

please help!! thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by hellfoot View Post
            help...i tried doing the flashing...flashed successfully but in the calibration mode, my screen doesnt respond..

tried to read again the notes and there i saw this is just for resistive.....silly of me!!!

i got an arnova 7b g2 "Capacitive"..that's the problem, screen doesnt respond

anybody there who has the stock system img for this coz i tried looking around the web but cant find one..

if there is already a custom rom for capacitive arnova 7b g2, that might be better..

please help!! thanks!

It right in the list of ROMs here.

Bob

Comment

bob

i think that thread is for arnova 7 g2.. i got 7B g2 "Capacitive"...tried this but my tablet got dumped..

can you help me with this?

sorry...and thanks for the trouble...

Comment

OK wait... the FIRST original 7G2 was a capacitive screen model. Later Arnova came out with Resistive which I also did a ROM for.

So your telling me there is yet a different model which is a 7b G2 but with some other screen that is capacitive?

If that is the case I will need a ROM dump.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                  OK wait... the FIRST original 7G2 was a capacitive screen model. Later Arnova came out with Resistive which I also did a ROM for.

So your telling me there is yet a different model which is a 7b G2 but with some other screen that is capacitive?

If that is the case I will need a ROM dump.

Bob

yup! you're right bob..my 7b g2 is a "capacitive" not the resistive so when i tried your first custom rom for the resistive, it successfully is installed however the screen is not responding to any of my touches...that's why it became dumped..

and one more issue when i tried that, the booting is really so slow it takes about 3-5 minutes, just like blackberry does, and eventually i will see the boot screen and that's that.no more reaction on the calibration mode(which i originally don't experience in my stock ROM)..maybe it has a different code or something<i'm not too technical about this stuff>..

well..i actually got a replacement from the store i bought it from coz its just 4 days old..i originally ask if they can replace it for the arnova 7 g2 but unfortunately they dont have any stock, so i ended up with another 7B G2 "Capacitive"..

i want to do the ROM dump but i dont know how...can you please tell me so i can attache it here...

very much obliged,
                  hellfoot

Comment

Here is how you DUMP your tablets ROM.

Bob

Comment

thanks a lot bob

i'll try this one out and once i get it, i'll attache it here asap...

wish me good luck!!

Comment

got a question bob....

i'm trying to do the easy way of dumping partitions via rkdump

it says there, when i copy the rkdump utility in the /data partition

"it needs to be run from an ext3 partition, not a vfat partition"----->dont understand

...expect a lot more silly questions like this from me...heheh

just making sure coz after the 7 day return period of this tab, i might brick it and cant get it back anymore..

Comment

On a cramfs system.img the /data folder is still read and write. This is where APPs get installed.
                          What they mean is this cannot be on SDCard which is vfat. It has to be on /data which is ext3.

Now the problem is without root you canot put the file in /data. So you need to semi root the tablet.
                          Find z4root or gingerbreak. This should give you write access to /data to put the file on there.

Bob

Comment

that's why im having a problem trying to put it there...

there...i'll try to find the one that will make my A7BG2C semi root...

stay tuned...

Comment

just a quick question..

does any z4root work in ay firmware especially in our A7BG2 series?

Comment

Working...
                              X