Rooting Nexus 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rooting Nexus 7

Mr. Bob, any plans to try and root a rom for the Nexus 7? Sole reason is the max memory is 16GB with no SD Card, therefore I'd like to get rid of a lot of pre-installed apps that came with it and are wasting space.

Originally posted by ZonaMojo View Post
    Mr. Bob, any plans to try and root a rom for the Nexus 7? Sole reason is the max memory is 16GB with no SD Card, therefore I'd like to get rid of a lot of pre-installed apps that came with it and are wasting space.
    I have found rooting methods on another forum that could help. I prefer this forum as the other is only nexus 7.
    Warning: removing preinstalled apps may cause updates to fail!

Since I'm getting regular updates I've put off rooting til I see what 4.2 jellybean brings. How will rooting and ota updates coexist? Could use root keeper app.

Using a nas box or plugging a USB hard drive into my router I can set a backup program to auto save all apps and delete/reinstall as needed. The throughput over WiFi to the router storage is much faster than the 5 mbs d/l and 1mbs u/l that my isp has capped me to. I've seen some newer routers that will do 300 mbs depends on tablet tho.

Update: this is turning out harder than I thought, trying file managers for both auto backup options and WiFi transfer. Wonder if a shared folder could automount or be mapped to system. File expert will backup to internal sd but no settings to change directory. Roots looking better all the time.

Some of those 25ยข games were massive, weren't they? I'm down to 5GB at the moment.
    Last edited by matt; 10-17-2012, 05:01.

Comment

nexus root toolkit

Check this out.

Also ota root keeper from play.

You may need to revert to stock or at least relock root to get system updates.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
        Check this out.

Also ota root keeper from play.

You may need to revert to stock or at least relock root to get system updates.
        Thanks for the link. Will give it a good read later. Yes, with my $25 I grabbed a few 140mb games.

---------------
        Decided not to root for now. I have plenty of storage...also found out a lot of the preinstalled Google programs can be turned off so they never enter RAM unless you turn them on.
        Last edited by ZonaMojo; 10-27-2012, 20:23.

Comment

google nexus 7 root toolkit and unlock bootloader

wugfresh root toolkit 1.6.4

Comment

Working...
          X