Nexus 7 Disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nexus 7 Disappointment

So, I've waited on buying a new tablet (my previous tablet was a hacked Nook Color running CM7) until the iPad mini launched so I could compare all my options before buying. After doing a lot of reading and research, I decided the Nexus 7 was the way to go. I've had it for roughly one week now, and just did the 4.2 update..........BIG mistake. I now have random app crashes, the clock issue, the auto dim issue, charging issues, it's slow and laggy, and worst of all bluetooth gamepad functionality is now broken completely which was a big selling point for me. I'm incredibly disappointed in the device, and really don't know now whether I'm going to invest the time to backup all my stuff, and root it to get back to a working (4.1.2) OS, or just return it and buy something that works. So for any other Nexus 7 owners, whatever you do, DO NOT update to 4.2 if you like having a stable, usable device.

Yes, 4.2 brought some bugs with it.
    My reboots and crashes have been resolved by disabling location services in widgets.
    Some lagging by disabling sync in Currents.
    I've noticed slow charging at times, replugging the usb can help.
    Changing from Bluez to bluedroid stack was badly implemented, although some wired game controllers now have native support. And there is less lag on audio when it works.

Waiting for 4.2.2

Comment

Well, I ended up rooting the device, and rolling back to 4.1.2, and installing FOTA kill to disable the annoying 4.2 update alert pop up. Everything is back to working now, and gaming with a bluetooth controller is awesome! Here's hoping Google releases an update to 4.2 to fix the issues, as I really liked the multiple user accounts for letting others play around on the tablet without having access to my email and other sensitive info.

Comment

4.2 on speed

well i initially received the same issue when upgraded to 4.2 however i installed the custom rom 4.2 prime by vanir

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2098139
        it has all the speed of 4.1 but the features of 4.2 its the fastest rom by far and is worth a whirl!

just remember you need to unlock your bootloader and root and install cwm recovery as twrp has errors when installing prime...

but most importantly do a backup first!!!!!

Comment

Do these issues still exist in the 2nd gen nexus 7 or update 4.3? Looking at getting one soon and ran across this thread.

Comment

N7 2

I have had tyhe N7 2 since it came out and rooted it right away, I love this tablet it does so much and more. Im looking forward to the next gen possibly the N8 2014...Great buy and i hate to hear negative comments about this product, blows any ipad or apple product away, any day of the week

Comment

Originally posted by 282rocket View Post
              I have had tyhe N7 2 since it came out and rooted it right away, I love this tablet it does so much and more. Im looking forward to the next gen possibly the N8 2014...Great buy and i hate to hear negative comments about this product, blows any ipad or apple product away, any day of the week
              Totally agree this is by far the best tablet with the most features mine boots Ubuntu touch and android also Firefox is all using multirom nearly every ROM available has a port for this tablet just getting better and better 😉
              My Device: T-R42
              ROM: Wasser ?????
              Peripherals: 5Port USB-2 Hub : Logitech K700 Keyboard : Buffalo 1TB HDD : 32 GB MicroSD : Wireless Xbox360 Controller : 5amp switch mode power supply

Comment

Having owned my N7 for 5 months now I have had some issues. 1st was the stuck boot within 2 weeks, 2 months after purchase it started random reboots. Both of those issues were still running 4.3. I updated to 4.4 and ran for 2 more months with no issues. Last nite turned on my N7 it started dl Google play updates and rebooted within less than 5min of being turned on. Hopefully it was an update that caused it because it is a great tab.

Comment

Working...
                X