Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Hard Disk Drive can be connected using OTG (without using External Power Source) with Cube talk 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Hard Disk Drive can be connected using OTG (without using External Power Source) with Cube talk 7

Can anybody confirm if Ext Hard disk can be connected to cube talk 7 (without using External Power Source)?Also please name any HDD that is working.

Originally posted by shikhar623 View Post
    Can anybody confirm if Ext Hard disk can be connected to cube talk 7 (without using External Power Source)?Also please name any HDD that is working.
    Can't tell for Talk7, but my U30GT2 also can't power up my hard drive. It's a slim 2,5" low powered 5400rpm without the need for external power. It worked ok on my previous tablet, but not here. LED lights comes on, but it doesn't have the power to spin up the platters. I guess the USB port doesn't give out required mA to spin it up. I also tried to leave my tablet connected to a wall charger, but no luck either. It's not a real deal-breaker, but it's pitty because I have all of my stuff on that hdd, so now I must boot up my PC everytime and connect both my hdd and tablet to it, so I can copy data between them.

Comment

Originally posted by Burs View Post
      Can't tell for Talk7, but my U30GT2 also can't power up my hard drive. It's a slim 2,5" low powered 5400rpm without the need for external power. It worked ok on my previous tablet, but not here. LED lights comes on, but it doesn't have the power to spin up the platters. I guess the USB port doesn't give out required mA to spin it up. I also tried to leave my tablet connected to a wall charger, but no luck either. It's not a real deal-breaker, but it's pitty because I have all of my stuff on that hdd, so now I must boot up my PC everytime and connect both my hdd and tablet to it, so I can copy data between them.
      Hi Burs,
      Which was your previous Tab?
      any workaround/hack for connecting the HDD? i am looking for a portable solution.
      Thanks

Comment

I used USB Y cable. One of the two heads to OTG and other one to dedicated USB charger. Other end to hard disk. Anyway I am using it with TV stick. TV stick uses its own USB charger.

The hard disk was very old one and was not working with laptop also. With above setup revived two hard disk :-)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Burs,
          Which was your previous Tab?
          any workaround/hack for connecting the HDD? i am looking for a portable solution.
          Thanks
          Acer Iconia Tab A510. But it's not FHD, so you might consider A700 too. But both of them are old models.
          I doubt there's a workaround, since I think it's a hardware thing. USB port just don't provide enough mA.

Comment

Originally posted by itguru View Post
            I used USB Y cable.
            I was so happy once I found this USB Y cable. But it nearly killed my laptop. Might be the false cable, or something else, but I almost had a stroke when my laptop turned off and when I wasn't able to switch it back on. LED were blinking like on Christmas tree, with beeps coming out of the speakers. Maybe this cable would power up my hard disk, but I never ever want to plug it in again. But please report anyway if it works or not.

Comment

I was so happy once I found this USB Y cable. But it nearly killed my laptop. Might be the false cable, or something else, but I almost had a stroke when my laptop turned off and when I wasn't able to switch it back on. LED were blinking like on Christmas tree, with beeps coming out of the speakers. Maybe this cable would power up my hard disk, but I never ever want to plug it in again. But please report anyway if it works or not.
              a Y cable connected to a laptop? were you thinking of getting the power from the laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by itguru View Post
                I used USB Y cable. One of the two heads to OTG and other one to dedicated USB charger. Other end to hard disk. Anyway I am using it with TV stick. TV stick uses its own USB charger.

The hard disk was very old one and was not working with laptop also. With above setup revived two hard disk :-)

I would like to know if there is any portable solution for that.. any hi power battery could be used instead of the Wall charger,,
                thanks

Comment

Re: Which Hard Disk Drive can be connected using OTG (without using External Power Source) with Cube talk 7

I never tried it with Laptop and external power as I had bad experience with wrong earth connections of projector which blew up my monitor port.

By the way, if u try using external power and OTG port, try to swap heads of Y cable. For me only one combination works. Thick one towards OTG and thin one towards USB power adapter. Other way HDD never gets detected. HDD observed to be spinning continuously. I thought we are going to draw more amp from power adapter and hence thick one is better for adapter, but it doesn't work.

Comment

a Y cable connected to a laptop? were you thinking of getting the power from the laptop?
                    Yes, but at the time I was doing that test with the cable, I wasn't trying to spin up the hard drive connected to by tablet, but to a laptop. It was an externaly powered hard drive, so I needed additional power either from the second USB port, or from the main outlet which was "default". But as I said, probably the cable was short circuited, but it gives me the creeps whenever I see it.

Comment

Working...
                    X