u30 gt2 mh - backup before ROM flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

u30 gt2 mh - backup before ROM flash

hello - new to the forum - been reading a bit and learning lots...but still total noob...!
    pls forgive my very basic questions....but in need of help

i have a new u30gt2 mh (4.2.2, kernal 3.0.36+, v1.0020131128)
    is the "MH" bit important?

am very happy with it, but stock ROM does not allow multi users.
    also lots of chinese bloatware that i cant delete/uninstall

i figure i could root and edit build.prop (fw.max_users=5)?
    or install new ROM with multiusers pre installed

new to flashing... so please understand my nervousness....
    before doing anything i wanted to get a backup of current ROM so i could return it to stock state... if i messed up....
    struggling even here....
    tried using CWM recovery to do this...
    got the cwm img file for u30gt2 (http://androtab.info/clockworkmod/rockchip/rk3188/)
    renamed/copied it onto SDCARD as per instructions reboot.... nothing...
    installed CWM ROM Manager from playstore - tried backups from here... nothing (do I need root for this app to work?)
    finally flashed the above recovery img as recovery-cwm.img via RKAndroidtool v1.37 (thanks 900SS!)
    seemed to go ok.... but i cannot see a dumped img anywhere...after reboot (using ESExplorer3) ( i never got a popup or any message on reboot)

RK drivers on old xp seem good (use the RKbatchtool to check - got green connected device icon prior to the flash on RKAndroid tooll above. on flash the tablet rebooted as normal but again i cannot find any back or dumped img file.... ho hum....

i guess i am not booting into recovery or similar.... how do you do this...
    i can get into bootloader (?) OK (off, hold vol+ whilst connecting usb - seems to work and give green icon in the batchtool...)

any pointers much appreciated...
    unsure if my stock ROM is newer than the cube site or other 4.2.2 rebuilds - many seem basedon a ROM from June 2013 - my date is NOv 2013...or maybe that was when it was first installed (i am clueless...)

any help much appreciated....

i did eventually try to ROOT using RK3188 ROOT TOOL - but when i ran the TPSparkyroot.bat i got "abd is not recognised internal or external...." or similar - device manager was seeing the tablet as "abd interface..." so dont understand that either....

not feeling confident enough to just flash a new ROM without a backup of current....
    i've picked up the idea i might be best to stick with 4.2.2 rebuilds rather than a jump to 4.4 kitkat... at least initially.... then i need to suss out the most stable version - any recommendations....

apologies for all the questions....just previewed this massive post.... phew...

Re: u30 gt2 mh - backup before ROM flash

Update.....
    Tried again to root got adb to work... At least kind of installed android SDK to help...
    But despite the drivers installing OK, I cannot get the device recognised at all

Adb devices shows a blank

When I run TPSparkyRoot.bat I get "no device found" 3 times, ....waiting for device to reboot

Confused, drivers seem good in device manager
    Shows as "Composite adb interface" when connected to USB (with debugging on)
    Or "rockusb" if connected in bootloader/flashmode (green square in batch tool 1.7)

So all looks good to go....but.... Grrrr

Please help....someone....

Sent from my U30GT 2MH using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X