CUBE iwork8 ultimate won't boot up to windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CUBE iwork8 ultimate won't boot up to windows

i tried to make a reset to default setting using windows recovery, something probably gone wrong (battery was full and on charge) and now windows won’t start again and i can use only android. any time i try to start windows it’s just restarting the tablet.

any ideas?

thanks!

You can install a normal WIndows 10 ISO and use the drivers from TechTablets.com. Are you comfortable with installing Windows by USB?
    Last edited by Andrew_NZ; 10-03-2016, 00:48.

Comment

Edit: I got ahead of myself with the driver links I just realized there's a Cherry Trail and Bay Trail version of the iWork8 Ultimate.

The easiest thing to do would be to download an official Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft.com. Then extract it to an empty NTFS USB and boot it. (This worked perfectly for my iwork8 Air and does for all the UEFI PC's I've tried.)

It will ask you if you want to repair your current install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO

You could do a clean install but that would require sorting out the drivers (with an external USB mouse at first.)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_NZ View Post
        Edit: I got ahead of myself with the driver links I just realized there's a Cherry Trail and Bay Trail version of the iWork8 Ultimate.

The easiest thing to do would be to download an official Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft.com. Then extract it to an empty NTFS USB and boot it. (This worked perfectly for my iwork8 Air and does for all the UEFI PC's I've tried.)

It will ask you if you want to repair your current install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO

You could do a clean install but that would require sorting out the drivers (with an external USB mouse at first.)
        hey andrew, thank you for your help, it's been long time since i posted this and i havent yet solve the problem

some why there is no link on microsoft for windows10 iso. it only asks me if i want to upgrade mine.

anyway, i have a flash card with win10 enterprise and when i try to fix the problem using the flash card win10 fix tool nothing works, the only option it gives me is a clean install. i saw in the install menu that there is a recovery partition on the tablet. any possible way to run it? I can only run the android OS or do a clean win10 setup, which i don't really want to do.

thanks

Comment

I don't think the Enterprise one will work as it's not the same version of Windows 10, and if you do a clean install with Enterprise it definitely won't activate because your license is for Windows 10 Home.

It asks to upgrade when you go to that link if your using Windows, you can pretend your using Linux or a Mac and download the ISO directly.

1.) Go to the link below with Google Chrome, install the extension.

2.) Click on it's icon and select a Linux or Mac browser. (This means Google Chrome will identify it's self as if it's on a Linux or Mac computer.)

3.) Go to the official Microsoft Windows ISO link and download it. (You want normal Windows 10, your choice of language and 64 bit.)

4.) Right click on the ISO when it's finished and press mount. (If your using Windows 7 or earlier download a free application that lets you mount ISO's. )

5.) You need a USB hub as you will need your USB keyboard and your USB stick connected at the same time. My iWork8 Air didn't detect SD Cards to boot from and this is common with UEFI computers. (Our tablets are UEFI not BIOS.)

6.) Select the DVD drive you mounted and copy all the files to an empty USB Stick with a NTFS partition.

7.) Plug in your keyboard and USB stick and turn on your tablet and press F7 immediately.

8.) Select to boot from USB.

9.) Follow on screen messages to install or repair Windows.
          Last edited by Andrew_NZ; 10-03-2016, 00:50.

Comment

I don't think the Enterprise one will work as it's not the same version of Windows 10, and if you do a clean install with Enterprise it definitely won't activate because your license is for Windows 10 Home.

It asks to upgrade when you go to that link if your using Windows, you can pretend your using Linux or a Mac and download the ISO directly.

1.) Go to the link below with Google Chrome, install the extension.

2.) Click on it's icon and select a Linux or Mac browser. (This means Google Chrome will identify it's self as if it's on a Linux or Mac computer.)

3.) Go to the official Microsoft Windows ISO link and download it. (You want normal Windows 10, your choice of language and 64 bit.)

4.) Right click on the ISO when it's finished and press mount. (If your using Windows 7 or earlier download a free application that lets you mount ISO's. )

5.) You need a USB hub as you will need your USB keyboard and your USB stick connected at the same time. My iWork8 Air didn't detect SD Cards to boot from and this is common with UEFI computers. (Our tablets are UEFI not BIOS.)

6.) Select the DVD drive you mounted and copy all the files to an empty USB Stick with a NTFS partition.

7.) Plug in your keyboard and USB stick and turn on your tablet and press F7 immediately.

8.) Select to boot from USB.

9.) Follow on screen messages to install or repair Windows.
            thanks for the help andrew!

unfortunately, that deosnt work for me. it won't let me to repair windows nor install it from scratch. so i ended deleting the windows partition and when i try to install it writes:
            Code:
            we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. for more information, see the log files.
            i"ll google this out maybe i"ll get some information.

thanks again!

Comment

So you do get as far as booting the WIndows ISO from the Microsoft.com link? (Home not Enterprise.)

Normally you should just be able to select an empty part of the hard drive (un-partitioned space) and the Windows installer will create it's own partitions. Perhaps it's confused as your removing partitions and creating new ones at the same time, I haven't come across that before tho.

You could try downloading Gparted Live, it's a Linux disk partitioner that runs "live" of a CD or USB.

Download this:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gpa....1-5-amd64.iso

And copy the files to the root of a USB and boot it (F7 then select USB.)

Delete all Windows partitons (press apply and leave that empty.)

Then reboot the Windows 10 Home ISO and select "Install Windows Only" and select the empty space to install to, Don't create partitions.

You'l need to use the drivers from here once you have the new Windows install completed:

Let me know if you get as far as installing drivers.

I noticed a significant performance increase after a clean WIndows install on my iWork8.
              Last edited by Andrew_NZ; 10-04-2016, 08:50.

Comment

Did my big post get deleted because it linked to the Gparted Live ISO? Gparted Live has been around for a long time and is open source, it's safe as houses, totally legal and free.

Edit: Can you please un-delete that it took a long time to write. All good if you take out the link to the ISO.

Comment

Your safe
                  Forum software unapproved your post,
                  Does it once in awhile Don't Panic
                  treboR
                  Please consider
                  Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Chur chur. I feel safe thanks. :P

Comment

Chur chur. I feel safe thanks. :P
                      before using the Gparted live, i figured how to solve the problem, but after the install starts it says:
                      windows dedicated that the EFI system partition was formatted as NTFS. Format the EFI system partition to FAT32, and restart the installation.
                      So i booted Gparted live, and it seems like all EFI partitions are already in FAT32.
                      also, i tried to format my win10 home usb stick once in NTFS and once in FAT32 - nothing would work.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_19480.jpeg
Views:	976
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	601507
                      would you suggest to remove EFI system partitions? will it affect the fact that this is dual boot android and win10 device?
                      I really don't want to delete the android OS, it's the only one that still works and i have no idea how to install android.

tnxx again

Comment

Edit:

Before you continue. Just to clarify, when I was saying "Format to NTFS" I was meaning the USB stick before you put the files on to the USB stick.

You shouldn't have to format the tablet at all. If WIndows was already there the installershould give you the option to repair it.

And if you deleted the Windows partion(s) and install WIndows again you can just click "Next" on that partitioning screen in the installer and it will use the empty space and do it's own partitioning.

Have you partitioned the tablet at all?

Originally posted by gentlegiant View Post
                        i tried to format my win10 home usb stick once in NTFS and once in FAT32 - nothing would work.
                        tnxx again
                        So you can't get the Windows 10 ISO to boot?

Wow that is a lot of partitions. Don't delete any, I've never seen that many so not 100% what each does.

I deleted them all and only have windows installed I'll install a clean Android from http://www.android-x86.org/ some time in the future. But iI need to sort out a few drivers.

I don't understand why Cube did such a crazy partioning scheme but if you don't want to lose the stock Android and muck around with a fresh install I'd stick to repairing Windows.

Have you used the UEFI Shell before. If you press F7 on boot and choose the shell option it opens a text command interface. From there you can select the USB and boot it manually by typing. \efi\boot\bootx64.efi.

Try this first it's a sure fire way.

1.) Press F7 after boot.

2.) Select the Shell option

3.) Type: devices -b

Find the USB drive. It'l be fs"number" Eg: fs6

4.) Type: fs6:

5.) Type: ls -b

It should list a folder called efi

6.) Type \efi\boot\bootx64.efi

That should boot the Windows installer where you can select repair.
                        Last edited by Andrew_NZ; 10-06-2016, 00:26.

Comment

I see what you've done. No worries nothing that can't be fixed.

Using Gparted delete all the non Android partitions and press apply. Leave that space totally empty.

Boot the Windows 10 ISO USB and when you get to the partitioning screen do nothing at all and press "Next" (if it may ask you to click on the empty area first but you don't want to create any partitions.)

Windows will make the necessary partitions automatically and install Windows.

Edit: Sorry about that I just read it back I should have been more clear.

Comment

I see what you've done. No worries nothing that can't be fixed.

Using Gparted delete all the non Android partitions and press apply. Leave that space totally empty.

Boot the Windows 10 ISO USB and when you get to the partitioning screen do nothing at all and press "Next" (if it may ask you to click on the empty area first but you don't want to create any partitions.)

Windows will make the necessary partitions automatically and install Windows.

Edit: Sorry about that I just read it back I should have been more clear.
                            tnx Andrew.

How deleting these partitions (including EFI system) will influence the UEFI and the fact that this is dual boot device?

meanwhile I gave the tablet to my friend. Maybe he will manage to solve this problem. I"ll update.

Comment

In my experience that boot menu (with the Android and Windows icons) doesn't require any configuration, it detects if the boot files are Windows or Android. You definitely can't delete it it's built into the UEFI (BIOS.) I wiped my partition table which means I deleted absolutely everything on the internal storage and the touch boot menu is still there. It can't be removed unless you flash the BIOS.

Comment

Working...
                              X