Freelander PD800 RileyROM 1.2 [Feedback]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After several weeks of testing, I'm happy to release a working version of the Freelander PD800 RileyROM.

This particular firmware posed some unique challenges in the development process...which was a learning tool for myself. Many would just give up...believe me, I considered it. But through extensive testing, we have a ROM that will boot into the system and function.

This ROM is based on an official Freelander firmware release posted on the Geekbuying.com Blog.

The ROM is:

Rooted
    Debloated
    Your choice of 2, 4, 6, or 8 gb user app space
    init.d support
    busybox support
    Many tweaks to allow greater compatibility on Google Play Store

Credits:

Bootanimation by Tattman65
    Reboot app by Petrus
    Flash Tool by 900Supersport
    Technical support and guidance by the whole Freaktab.com team!!!!!

My apologies to users who weren't able to get previous versions working on their tablets, and thanks for all who provided testing. Many thanks to Circusboy, DJcacho, Glouds, and NCR85 for their efforts.

EDIT: This is now v1.2b with corrected parameter files.

Guy's, I hope you enjoy it!!!!!

Here is the link to the download page:

Download

If this ROM makes a difference for you, please consider a donation to support future RileyROM's here at Freaktab.com Donate!!!
    Last edited by rrileypm; 08-14-2013, 04:34.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Thank you! I will try the ROM as soon as I get the tablet back...

Comment

flashed this rom on my pd800 but....

First off,thank you for your hard work ,I was able to flash this rom without issue. Erasing and flashing the rom works without issue, following the steps in your manual. After the first boot everything works flawlessly. I was able to connect to a access point , update everything from the play store , install a few apps from the playstore. I even ran a antutu benchmark without issue , but then out of nowhere the tablet freezes up , and after a hard reset it remains stuck at the splashscreen.I have twice flashed the 2gb version and once the 4gb version , all with the same result. I do have to mention that on the stock rom I received the pd800 wih , it indicated only 1gb of memory instead of the advertised 2gb, I don't know if that matters for this issue though. Please note if you need any testing ,or more information about this problem , i'd be happy to help out.

Comment

Well.....I'm glad you got to try my ROM...for a little while.

I'm not sure what's causing the freeze, though.

Randy
        Randy
        Read my BIO Here
        Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
        Donate here

Comment

Woot, it's successful. Cool boot screen.

Been running it for about 1:30 hours and didn't encounter any problems. System runs smoothly. I was able to use programs that ask superuser access.

Looks great so far. Thanks a LOT.

Your choice of 2, 4, 6, or 8 gb user app space
          init.d support
          busybox support

I'd tell you more about how well these things work if I had any idea what they do, lol.

Comment

Re: Freelander PD800 RileyROM 1.2 [Feedback]

Ignorance is bliss on that stuff....hahaha!!!!

It is for doing way geeky stuff in terminal and running scripts. That's all.

Sent from my GT-I9100
            Randy
            Read my BIO Here
            Donate here

Comment

OK, this was a really great update and things run very smoothly with the processor jacked up consistently to 1.6Ghz... but I think the real performance gains are only going to come when I've got Rockchip SDK2.0 installed and the ability to overclock to 1.8Ghz or maybe even 1.92Ghz.

Am I 100% dependent on the official designers where SDK2.0 is concerned, or is there a way to enable that manually? And is there a way to get the 1.6Ghz max clock frequency limiter removed?

Comment

Re: Freelander PD800 RileyROM 1.2 [Feedback]

That will have to come in an official Freelander firmware.

Sent from my GT-I9100
                Randy
                Read my BIO Here
                Donate here

Comment

I am glad to hear that this ROM worked flawlessly for others , but it does leave me to wonder what problem I am running into. I have retried several times wit the same results. I have now flashed the stock ROM and have not run in to any further freezing issues. Could someone who is still running the stock rom please check the amount of appspace memory available. This is the only anomaly I could find, my PD800 only has 1GB available as opposed to the 2GB advertised , and I wonder if that may be (part of) the problem.

Comment

Freelander PD800

Originally posted by rembo View Post
                    I am glad to hear that this ROM worked flawlessly for others , but it does leave me to wonder what problem I am running into. I have retried several times wit the same results. I have now flashed the stock ROM and have not run in to any further freezing issues. Could someone who is still running the stock rom please check the amount of appspace memory available. This is the only anomaly I could find, my PD800 only has 1GB available as opposed to the 2GB advertised , and I wonder if that may be (part of) the problem.
                    There is a PM send to you. Robert.

Comment

Hi guys,

this is my first post in this place, so hello everybody. Glad to see that even for the so not well known devices there is people taking care of. Thank you!

About me: Been flashing my WM phones since 2005, running CheckRom (still Android 4.2.2) on my SGS2 now. So not new to the matter, but also more into working Roms that experiments since a while.

Well.. due to a strange impulse after a bad party.. I got me a PD800 some week ago. Annoyed by bloatware and really slow updates of OS when using touchscreen since turning it on first time. Damn, I can type twice as fast on my small phone! (Hope the new ROM help here..).
                      With dev option on I can see that the touchpoints themself move quite smooth, but OS updates position only at 3-4 hz. Same when using mouse, the pointer moves fluid, OS is laggy as hell. Funny sidenode: When using splashtop to control my PC I can fluidly work, even with touches, so its neither the CPU/GPU combo, nor the touchscreen itself causing the lag but something on OS level. If I can´t fix that I will either try to return or sell on ****.
                      Crap.

Well, now to the matter: Followed your instructions - which is quite a bit hard to do since you refer to the pictures in your text which only show up as "Illustration" in your PDF. Something got lost on rev5?

Anyhow. Disabled windows automatic driver search, connected device with dev options turned completly off, did not click USB storage. Windows did NOT ask me to install a driver, is this maybe because I had other Android devices connected before? 900SuperSuport ROM Flash Tool tells me RKAndroid Rock usb found and lets me reboot into flash mode. Device stays black for some minutes (argl.. first time this was not so fun. I´m used to have some visual feeddack on device that tells me that its waiting to be flashed.) From this point on I am stuck. Super Suport tells me "Not found". Device will wake up after some minutes (thanksfully.) Anything I can do? Played Angry Birds to the end, its time to flash..

Comment

If the screen is black and the flash tool says loader found...you are ready to flash (Rockchip devices are all the same).

If you are having connection issues...try a different USB cable or use a different port. Make sure you aren't going through a hub or using USB 3.0.

Randy
                        Randy
                        Read my BIO Here
                        Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                          If the screen is black and the flash tool says loader found...you are ready to flash (Rockchip devices are all the same).

If you are having connection issues...try a different USB cable or use a different port. Make sure you aren't going through a hub or using USB 3.0.

Randy
                          No, thats the point. Device does NOT show up again after I send it to Flash mode. And its for sure a USB 2 port and no hub. You mean it will not show "Rockdevice found" in the bottom row again once in flash mode, but the green line on loader indicates that its ready to flash?

I am also not sure if I need to enable this first row inside the flash too (Loader), its green and I could set the switch. In the PDF it says I should look at the picture (which is not inside the doc).

Its just one important thing I learned from the past: Read twice, google tripple and don´t be afraid to ask stupid questions BEFORE you hit a "Flash now" button..
                          Nobody likes bricks, they are so useless... ;-)

Thanks for your support!

Comment

First of all...when you click on the "illustration" boxes, you should get the picture popped up on the screen, then just click it again and it will go away. If this doesn't work, you may have an outdated version of Adobe Reader.

You don't need to check the loader box...this is just for emergencies after a hard brick.

With my Windows PC, the behavior has changed lately...I don't know if it is due to an update...but I'm having problems getting Windows to recognize the tablet.

What I had to do was go into settings and change it from a media device to a mass storage device, I had to go back and forth a couple of times for it to take. Then I got a notification that said USB connection available (or something like that). I touched that and the USB screen appeared. I pressed the connect USB button and the flash tool recognized it as a Mass Storage Device. At that point, I had to go to the reboot app and reboot to bootloader.

At that point, the flash tool said Rockchip Loader Found...and I was able erase IDB and then flash the ROM. It's a windows thing, not a ROM thing.

This time, I used some new techniques for applying Google Play Store fixes, which identifies the tablet as a Samsung device...I don't really like what it is doing with the flashing process, so I'm going to discontinue this practice and go back to what I was doing before. I haven't noticed any difference, anyway.

I hope that helps.
                            Randy
                            Read my BIO Here
                            Donate here

Comment

Wow, you are really giving exellent personal support for our ROMs! THX!!

About PDF: It was caused from using Foxit reader which seems not to support these kind of embedded pictures. Just in case someone runs into the problem in the future.

After viewing the pictures it all became clear, it was just that on my PC it would not popup anything but only show a small notification in taskbar that it does not find driver. (Could have found out if I would have looked into device manager.. pardon moi..). You could add this to de PDF for other dummies like me. *G*

So, it flashed fine, starts up, feels MUCH more fluid now. Lets see how ToucOSC behaves now.

Keep up the good work, really appreciate it! Hope we will see 4.2.2 or even 4.2 for this device one day.

Comment

Working...
                              X