Freelander PD800 RileyROM 1.2 [Feedback]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

freelander pd800

In this time, after using the Rileyrom 1.2c for more than 2 weeks, I'm a very happy user.
    There is only one thing that I have to ask to the maker Randy.
    Using the wifi I have a very weak signal.
    Is it possible to give a boost or something else?
    Robert38

Comment

It is really hard to improve wifi signal through software. There aren't really any wifi signal tweaks available. It's pretty much a hardware issue. Usually it is a bad antenna connection.
      Randy
      Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

It is a pity.
        Thank you for your reaction.
        Robert38

Comment

I can second the bad wifi reception. Its really an issue, I get full bar with SGS2 and one bar / loosing connection with PD 800. Actually the AP is about 3 meters away (different room, open door) and if I move 2 meters away from door its dropping connect. Really bad antenna!!!

about 1.2c: I get random reboots once in a while? Is this just me / some app I installed?

Last but not least a feature request: I tried to run Linux (starting from console, connection to it via VNC). Sadly this is not possible as there is no loopback devices in kernel. Further info on that topic might be found here: http://linuxonandroid.blogspot.de/p/...g-devices.html

Is there any chance to get a custom kernel that allows to run it Linux that way? Its a very nice way to run tools that you simply donĀ“t find for Android.

Please only consider to look into it if its done with some lines in some config.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the wifi issues. With some of my older tablets, I invested in a little wifi repeater I just plugged in the room wherever I was working from and it seemed to do the trick. Some of these Chinese tablets have bad antenna connections inside. A product of poor quality control.

As far as the kernel modifications, I'm sorry...I'm not a kernel guy.
            Randy
            Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
            Read my BIO Here
            Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
            Donate here

Comment

Thank you for fast reply. I think I will sell the device soon anyway, I did some tests with "Display Changer" App which lets you change resolution (sadly it will not resize but draw new resolution pixel by pixel letterboxed on Android 4.1). The result of this test was that GUI update and general fluidity is much, much better on lower resolution.
              Which makes me believe that our Chinese brothers and sisters did not really take into account that a fast Quad Core CPU and a Retina Display need an even faster GPU to connect. Which seems to be missing - or is badly implemented. (Come on, my 3 years old Samsung Galaxy 2 manages to update 60 FPS trough nearly all apps... whats the point of retina if it makes browsing the web such a stuttering annoying experience that you just want to put the device aside after 10 min? But hey, it can decode 1080p50 with 40% CPU.. thanks alot!)

In short: DO NOT BUY FREELANDER PD 800! It stutters, its lags, it sucks!!!

This might change with firmware update if there will be one ever, who knows, but for the moment its that way.

Comment

I did some tests with "Display Changer" App which lets you change resolution (sadly it will not resize but draw new resolution pixel by pixel letterboxed on Android 4.1). The result of this test was that GUI update and general fluidity is much, much better on lower resolution.

Meierhans
                I was looking in the Play store for the Display Changer, but I could't find.
                Can you give an adresse please where I can download the app.
                Robert

Comment

how to flash??

have tried to install v1.2c but fail. on two laptops and I just happened: CAN Device not do Flash Mode, Because of no drive.
                  What is the problem really?
                  I tried to manually install the driver but says it is installed.
                  I have Freelander PD800 with original firmware and windows7x64.
                  Any idea?

Comment

Sorry, Its called "Display Scaler". Dunno if you find it on the market, maybe just google for "display scaler apk ..... "? Had it laying around for a while. (And no, you can not scale up internal render resolution on a Galaxy S2 to make it output this resolution on HDMI... ;-)

Thanks for the support everyone!

Comment

@Adonis Maybe you had automatic driver update on when plugged in device first time? The PDF says that then you need a new windows install / another PC to make it work because this can somehow not be undone. If this is not the case make sure to read all steps twice and try again, its actually working and not really hard once you follow the guide. GL!

Comment

Working...
                      X