No announcement yet.

Freelander PD800 RileyROM 1.3 4.2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I'm gathering that the original firmware has background screen working? But my ROM doesn't work.

I have learned soooooo much more about ROM development since this ROM was posted, so I've decided to redo this ROM from scratch. I will try to find out why the background images won't show up for some users, and tweak the wifi signal a bit to enhance reception.

In the process, I will provide a working CWM Recovery, and include auto-install of apps during first boot.

Stay Tuned for an update.

BTW, I checked the Freelander site for an update, but they haven't released anything since this September version, so I am using the same firmware as a base. If anyone has an update newer than this one, please share.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Comment

OK, I'm completely operating in the dark because I don't have a test tablet. I've created a test version. With further feedback, I can put together a final version...so only flash this ROM if you are willing to risk not booting correctly and having to flash the previous ROM. If it boots, test things like wifi and other features you've had trouble using with the previous ROM. Make sure you know how to manually get your tablet into flash mode, if you need to reset and reflash. I'm not sure, but I think it is power/volume+.

Here is a link to a test ROM, I just completed with my most updated features:

This ROM is:

Rooted with the latest version of SuperSU
      Debloated - not as aggressively as I did before, so maybe background screens will work this time
      Updated Google Apps, with fix to open more compatible apps.
      Init.d Support
      Busybox
      English Default
      Your choice of 2, 4 (default), 6, 8, or 12gb user app space by selecting the parameter file in the flash tool.
      Working CWM Recovery installed after first boot, so wait a few minutes before rebooting.

Auto Install feature added during first boot.

The way the Auto Install works is:

Create a folder on your external SD called autoinstall.
      Place any apps you wish to be installed automatically on first boot into the autoinstall folder. Edit the file names of the apk files to remove all spaces (Don't worry, the apps will install correctly if renamed). Don't try to install paid apps this way, they won't work right. Tools, such as X-Plore, or Xposed Framework (and modules)...etc come in handy if they are already there. You can install the base Titanium Backup app, but not the key this way.

Also, I increased the power on wifi for this ROM. Hopefully it will at least help with those having reception issues. But it may cause increased battery consumption, though. Or, wifi may not work at all (that's why we need to test).

The multi-user feature is turned on with this ROM. You can add additional user's, but I'm not sure if you will have complete tablet functionality with the additional users...just something to play around with.

If you choose to test this ROM for me, please give me your feedback. Again, this isn't for beginners.

I have Tattman65 working on a brand new set of boot screens, so the final version will look different.
      Randy
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by clive_alive View Post
        Update to my last post......

My other issue was the tab would not turn on without the power adapter plugged in, it would NOT power on using the battery even though this showed as being full 100% charged.

After a lot of swearing and almost chucking the Tab across the room, I tried the following:

With the power lead in (and plugged into the wall) press the power button once, a battery icon appears with the plug symbol inside it which then quickly changes to just the battery icon, at this point I quickly removed the power lead and pressed and held the power button in for 5 long seconds. The Tablet then miraculously powered on under battery power and no power lead!!! WTF!! (WEIRD!!!! but TRUE!!!) I'm scared to turn the tab off now in case it don't come back on but at least it don't cut out anymore!!

Let me know if this works for anyone else!!
        I have mine in repair for this issues. Wil let you know what the result is. In the mean time also a question. Does your tablet charge thru the usb??? Mine doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
          OK, I'm completely operating in the dark because I don't have a test tablet. I've created a test version. With further feedback, I can put together a final version...so only flash this ROM if you are willing to risk not booting correctly and having to flash the previous ROM. If it boots, test things like wifi and other features you've had trouble using with the previous ROM. Make sure you know how to manually get your tablet into flash mode, if you need to reset and reflash. I'm not sure, but I think it is power/volume+.

This ROM is:

Debloated - not as aggressively as I did before, so maybe background screens will work this time
          Init.d Support
          Busybox
          English Default
          Your choice of 2, 4 (default), 6, 8, or 12gb user app space by selecting the parameter file in the flash tool.
          Working CWM Recovery installed after first boot, so wait a few minutes before rebooting.

Place any apps you wish to be installed automatically on first boot into the autoinstall folder. Edit the file names of the apk files to remove all spaces (Don't worry, the apps will install correctly if renamed). Don't try to install paid apps this way, they won't work right. Tools, such as X-Plore, or Xposed Framework (and modules)...etc come in handy if they are already there. You can install the base Titanium Backup app, but not the key this way.

Also, I increased the power on wifi for this ROM. Hopefully it will at least help with those having reception issues. But it may cause increased battery consumption, though. Or, wifi may not work at all (that's why we need to test).

The multi-user feature is turned on with this ROM. You can add additional user's, but I'm not sure if you will have complete tablet functionality with the additional users...just something to play around with.

If you choose to test this ROM for me, please give me your feedback. Again, this isn't for beginners.

I have Tattman65 working on a brand new set of boot screens, so the final version will look different.
          I have this ROM on my Freelander PD800 and it works like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by duyve028 View Post
            I have mine in repair for this issues. Wil let you know what the result is. In the mean time also a question. Does your tablet charge thru the usb??? Mine doesn't.
            They told me that the won't fix this tablet here in holland because they don't know this tablet. Pressing the power button for 5 seconds doens't give me a hard reset??? How can I get this to work.

Comment

Originally posted by clive_alive View Post
              Update to my last post......

Managed to fix my WIFI issue!!!

WIFI would get stuck when I try to turn it on.
              Didn't want the hassle of sending it all the way back to HK from the UK (had to wait for ages for it to arrive in the 1st place) so I took the plunge and opened up the back of the tablet to have a look.

Quite easy to do, just undo the 2 small screws and ease it out of the case from the bottom corner, should pop out and then you can pop the rest out of the whole case. (no wires attach to the back of the case)

Anyhow, as soon as the tablet had no case the WIFI worked perfectly!!!!! I think the WIFI aerials are somehow shorting out on the case because as soon as I put the back back on I loose the WIFI again.

Gonna try and tape over the exposed ends with Electrical tape to see if my theories are correct. (will edit this when I give it a try)

My other issue was the tab would not turn on without the power adapter plugged in, it would NOT power on using the battery even though this showed as being full 100% charged.

After a lot of swearing and almost chucking the Tab across the room, I tried the following:

With the power lead in (and plugged into the wall) press the power button once, a battery icon appears with the plug symbol inside it which then quickly changes to just the battery icon, at this point I quickly removed the power lead and pressed and held the power button in for 5 long seconds. The Tablet then miraculously powered on under battery power and no power lead!!! WTF!! (WEIRD!!!! but TRUE!!!) I'm scared to turn the tab off now in case it don't come back on but at least it don't cut out anymore!!

Let me know if this works for anyone else!!

P.S. I still had the problem of not being able to set the Wallpaper other than Live Wallpapers so I reverted back to the Stock ROM and will use that for now.
              For me it doesn't work. I cannot seem to "hardreset"at all holding the power button for 5 secs or more. Another question: How did you open the tablet. after removing the screws with what did you open de tablet?

Comment

Undo the case on Freelander PD800

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0826.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	431699Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0827.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	431700

Undo the screws then from opposite end be brave and pull the top (Screen part) apart from the bottom (case part) Once you pop off the first corner work your way around the edges popping off as you go.

Be careful not to lose the plastic power button as this is loose (was on mine anyway) the other buttons stay attached.

Comment

Thx Clive. I opened the tablet and everything looks okay with the wires. It still cannot work on the battery so I am going to sent it back because i don't know what to do now.

Comment

I might have a breakthru. I was reading a forum on the freelander PD10 with battery problems There somebody said that using the app Battery Calibrator does the trick. So I did that and now I see that my battery is completely empty and charging.. I wil let you know when if this does the trick........

PS: The tablet needs to be rooted for this.

Comment

Originally posted by duyve028 View Post
                      I might have a breakthru. I was reading a forum on the freelander PD10 with battery problems There somebody said that using the app Battery Calibrator does the trick. So I did that and now I see that my battery is completely empty and charging.. I wil let you know when if this does the trick........

PS: The tablet needs to be rooted for this.
                      Unfortunately no luck....

Comment

Halo Riley
                        i am testing 1.3.1 ROM since friday and i have some feedback for you.
                        Since this is my first Riley rom i cane not compare to previuse versions.
                        before this ROM, i installed some generic 4.2.2 ROM from my tablet suplier.
                        Web browsing wase slow ind unstable, wifi reception poor and overall i wase not satisfied with this tablet.
                        So i decided to try your test ROM.
                        Here my remarks:
                        -Browsing with standard brovser is fast and smooth, 200% better then before, but it happens more times that the browser crashes.
                        -Google Chrome crashes on start. (uninstal and new install solve the issue)
                        - static wallpaper not working
                        - wifi is excellent, but conection drops some times
                        - baterry consumption is higher then before
                        - default language on first boot is chinese

but owerall, for the first time this tablet makes fun for me.

thanks

Comment

Are you sure you are running my ROM? I set the default to English on all of my ROMs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
                          Randy
                          Read my BIO Here
                          Donate here

Comment

yes of corse.
                            I downloaded zip file from link.
                            After few trys now static walpapars are working.
                            browser is still crashing sometimes.
                            evrything else sems to work great.

Comment

Have you tried a different browser?
                              Randy
                              Read my BIO Here
                              Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post

This ROM is:

Init.d Support
                                Busybox
                                English Default

Just installed "Freelander_PD800_RileyROM_1.3.1_test".
                                • Default language is Chinese (shouldn't it be English?).
                                • As with version 1.3, background image does not work (nor from gallery, only animated works)
                                • Screen inactivity defaults to 10 minutes (lot more than default rom, 1 minute?)
                                • Wifi seems to be more stable (not connection drops for now)

I can confirm you that original firmware has background screen working.

Could you supply a version with original freelander boot screen in next release?

Thanks for your good support!

Updated! After some reboots, some apk installations, some cache and dalvik cache deletions, background image now works!! Very strange bahavior.
                                Last edited by rubensa; 01-08-2014, 16:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X