No announcement yet.

Hisense Sero 8 RileyROM 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you read the included "First Time User's Guide" in the zip file? Those instructions are pretty comprehensive.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Comment

I have a few times. Maybe I'm just missing something. In the guide where you say to boot while holding esc button or power on the device normally what esc button do you mean. I have even tried the holding pwr and vol+ for three seconds while the device is powered down and unplugged from the computer. That didn't work either. Lol, I had another problem with my computer and decided to reload windows fresh before starting over. Guess I'll do a system restore to just before I started the process and try again.

Comment

It's hard for me to come up with exact instructions for tablets that I've never even seen. The button configuration is different among brands and models. It's just a guideline.

The best way to get into flash mode is to open the flash tool. Also in the ROM kit there is a folder containing an alternate tool for getting into flash mode...the RKBatchTool. Open that app also. If the drivers are installed properly, you should see a pink box at the bottom of the RKBatchTool. Click the "Switch" button and your tablet will reboot to flash mode. There is a reboot to flash mode button on the regular flash tool, but sometimes this method won't work...but you can try it, too.

While in flash mode (or Loader Mode on the flash tool), the screen will be blank. That's normal.

You can then erase IDB and then flash the ROM.

The hard part is getting the RK USB drivers to load in Windows. They don't work in Windows 8.1, but I have gotten it to work on all other Windows versions.
        Randy
        Read my BIO Here
        Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
        Donate here

Comment

Ah. I did not realize it was just a basic guideline. I apologize for my first post to these forums being rude. I'm a ginger and have a hot head when straight forward technical stuff doesn't click in the first few hours. The drivers are what I'm having trouble installing. The driver install tool will tell me they installed successfully on my windows 7 machine. But the device is only listed as the model number under "mobile devices". The flash tool says no RK device. If I use the tool to uninstall the drivers it will say that completed but any further attempt to reinstall will say no inf found. After a sys restore I tried to do it again but the device still wasn't seen under rk class usb and any attempt to point the device to the driver manually turns up no compatible drivers found.

Comment

Yes, the driver installation is the biggest headache. That's why I tried to be as detailed as I could in the instructions, but sometimes you get a stubborn PC.

Here are some things that will make it easier:

1. Use a USB 2.0 port, not USB 3.0.
            2. Use the USB cable that came with the tablet.
            3. Make sure you have USB debugging turned off in Developer Options in the tablet's settings.
            4. Unplug all other non-essential USB devices (just during the driver installation)
            5. Don't let Windows install the drivers automatically...do it manually by selecting the correct drivers from the ROM kit.

If that doesn't work, try a different PC. The smoothest installation is on old XP machines, if you have one laying around.
            Randy
            Read my BIO Here
            Donate here

Comment

First of all let me just say holy buh-jebus... Secondly I must apologize to you again, sir. After MUCH trial and error I have finally found a solution. I hope that this can help anyone else before they get as frustrated as I did.

So it turns out that the drivers were installed from the get go; However, connecting the device while powered on it would not register properly. The device manager showed no change OR it would list it as an unknown device in the usb serial bus controller tab. I kept trying to point the device to the drivers when it would show up. It would just keep telling me windows had determined the best driver had been installed. BUT when I decided finally to just boot into flash mode using PWR & Vol+ the device showed up as it should in the device manager. Also the primary flash tool listed it as found. So I went ahead with the instructions. I was able to erase IDB and then flash the rom successfully. Now I have a rooted Sero 8! THANKS!

I am running x64 Windows 7 Ultimate on an HP dv7-3080ca. I am not sure if the issue is with 64-bit Windows 7, the sero, me, or what since I've only had experience with this one device. It could just be the way the sero shows itself to a computer when connected with no usb options selected.

So yea.... Install the drivers. If it says they installed successfully but your device doesn't show up or you notice an unknown device DON'T PANIC! Leave it plugged in and press and hold PWR & Vol+ until you see it register as the rockusb device. You just manually booted into flash mode for the Sero 8! You'll notice the flash tool now says found as well! Your device will appear completely turned off(I thought I bricked it at first). Now that you've made it this far just follow the instructions provided. Erase IDB. Flash rom. ENJOY! ...And be free of any possible frustrations...

I did also go ahead and do the update just to test. I got the fallen android with red ! sign and waited for it to reboot. It said the update was unsuccessful and to try again. Though when I went to check for updates it said the device was up to date. Root was still active. **EDIT** The update did appear again. And again it failed.

Now to point users from other forums here. hopefully this will help some.
              Last edited by Jefedfur; 08-18-2014, 04:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefedfur View Post
                First of all let me just say holy buh-jebus... Secondly I must apologize to you again, sir. After MUCH trial and error I have finally found a solution. I hope that this can help anyone else before they get as frustrated as I did.

So it turns out that the drivers were installed from the get go; However, connecting the device while powered on it would not register properly. The device manager showed no change OR it would list it as an unknown device in the usb serial bus controller tab. I kept trying to point the device to the drivers when it would show up. It would just keep telling me windows had determined the best driver had been installed. BUT when I decided finally to just boot into flash mode using PWR & Vol+ the device showed up as it should in the device manager. Also the primary flash tool listed it as found. So I went ahead with the instructions. I was able to erase IDB and then flash the rom successfully. Now I have a rooted Sero 8! THANKS!

I am running x64 Windows 7 Ultimate on an HP dv7-3080ca. I am not sure if the issue is with 64-bit Windows 7, the sero, me, or what since I've only had experience with this one device. It could just be the way the sero shows itself to a computer when connected with no usb options selected.

So yea.... Install the drivers. If it says they installed successfully but your device doesn't show up or you notice an unknown device DON'T PANIC! Leave it plugged in and press and hold PWR & Vol+ until you see it register as the rockusb device. You just manually booted into flash mode for the Sero 8! You'll notice the flash tool now says found as well! Your device will appear completely turned off(I thought I bricked it at first). Now that you've made it this far just follow the instructions provided. Erase IDB. Flash rom. ENJOY! ...And be free of any possible frustrations...

I did also go ahead and do the update just to test. I got the fallen android with red ! sign and waited for it to reboot. It said the update was unsuccessful and to try again. Though when I went to check for updates it said the device was up to date. Root was still active. **EDIT** The update did appear again. And again it failed.

Now to point users from other forums here. hopefully this will help some.
                so basically what I said in post #35. good job.

Comment

Originally posted by phonetec View Post
                  I had issues getting the tool to recognize the tablet until I unplugged the usb from the computer but left it plugged in to the tablet, powered the tablet off, pressed and held vol up + power for about 3-4 secs (any longer and it will go in to recovery which you don't want) then I plugged the USB back into the computer and it found the rockchip device and installed the drivers then I ran the tool and it recognized it and flashed the rom
                  You had said to release before the device would even go into recovery mode. That wasn't working for me either. I had to hold it until the device was all the way in flash mode. That took maybe 10-15 sec. It didn't matter if the device was on, off but charging or in recovery mode. Holding PWR and Vol+ for a long period of time sent it into a seemingly bricked state; However, the device manager still showed activity. I also had to leave the device plugged in on both ends. Slightly different than what you said. Either way they worked for our situation and now we both have root. Gratz!

I just realized you were the same guy from the sero7forums. I do read the forums before posting. I don't read names usually though... glad you got it figured out before I got here.

Comment

Now only if we could get a custom recovery

Comment

Abdul_pt is our TWRP Recovery developer, and he has a thread with some generic and specific TWRP versions. You can ask him to make one for you.

Randy
                      Read my BIO Here
                      Donate here

Comment

Re: Hisense Sero 8 RileyROM 1.0

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                        Abdul_pt is our TWRP Recovery developer, and he has a thread with some generic and specific TWRP versions. You can ask him to make one for you.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...for-Rockchip-s
                        I attempted to seek guidance and help from him but I was ignored or lost in the shuffle.

Comment

Actually, our developers have been REALLY busy on the Freakbox Project...trying to meet a deadline. I'm sure if you send him a reminder...eventually he will reply. Abdul has a lot of irons in the fire right now...as do I. Remember, this is our hobby.
                          Randy
                          Read my BIO Here
                          Donate here

Comment

Re: Hisense Sero 8 RileyROM 1.0

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                            Actually, our developers have been REALLY busy on the Freakbox Project...trying to meet a deadline. I'm sure if you send him a reminder...eventually he will reply. Abdul has a lot of irons in the fire right now...as do I. Remember, this is our hobby.
                            I completely understand that's why I haven't said anything

Comment

Hi. I bought a Sero 8 a few weeks back and have been looking to try and find a rom for it. I came across this website and just registered to use the forum. The first day I used the sero 8 I was offered an update and I installed it. I was wondering if your rom would still work or would that update have patched something that would prevent it being rooted and flashed or would a different custom rom need to be made using the updated rom?....I'm kind of unclear on that part....I did dump the rom from my tablet this afternoon and reflashed it back and it worked. I did notice that the tablet didn't go back to being totally stock....my games and other apps I installed over the last few weeks where still there....I dumped the backup, boot, kernel,recovery, misc and system >img files....I guess what I'm asking is if I did try the rileyrom and it didn't work I could just reflash my backup right?... would it prevent my tablet from being able to go back into flash mode?........sorry if that's a dumb question.....lol...the only thing I've rooted before is a nook simple touch....I'm kinda clueless otherwise....Thank God you guys figured out doing the power plus volume to get it into flash mode...I fooled around with that for hours a few days ago before I finally gave up on getting the drivers to work....lol...

steve

Comment

Is your ROM dump the updated version or the stock version? We should check to see if you have a more recent firmware...if so, I can do a new ROM.

There is nothing to prevent you from flashing either ROM. Just remember to erase idb each time you flash.

My ROM allows options to expand user app space by selecting optional parameter files. So if you decide to change the parameter...it makes erasing idb more important.

I usually disable the ability to receive ota updates...because you will loose root if the system.img or boot.img are updated.

Sent from my P1 using Tapatalk
                                Randy
                                Read my BIO Here
                                Donate here

Comment

Working...
                                X