No announcement yet.

Hisense Sero 8 RileyROM 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be the updated rom....It should be the most recent..It only had that one ota update since I bought it.......then i used the tablet for a few weeks.... installed stuff......then dumped the rom today....

Oh ok cool so the rileyrom would work then regardless as long as I erase the idb when I flash. I printed out your instructions and underlined that part so I wouldn't forget it...that sounds pretty important...I'll make sure to disable updates if I do it....I hesitated doing that first update when I saw it but hit yes at the last second...then realized after it might have patched something I didn't want patched...should I dump anything else before I try?.....those 6 files are all I dumped...and one called parameter.txt to get the address for dumping.....I don't care about the stuff I installed after buying it.....its mostly junk I would get rid of anyways.....games etc...

You can see the rom dump if you want to.....to check if its more recent firmware.....in the parameter.txt file it says firmware 4.4.2.....if that helps....otherwise I can send it to you.....or....how do you guys do that?...I didn't check on how large the files were......to large for email?...or maybe dropbox or something like that....?

Thanks

steve

Comment

Who has one of these and could provide a review?

I noticed them at Wal mart for around $120 the other day.... seems like a nice tablet for the price...

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Re: Hisense Sero 8 RileyROM 1.0

Originally posted by steve&b View Post
        It would be the updated rom....It should be the most recent..It only had that one ota update since I bought it.......then i used the tablet for a few weeks.... installed stuff......then dumped the rom today....

Oh ok cool so the rileyrom would work then regardless as long as I erase the idb when I flash. I printed out your instructions and underlined that part so I wouldn't forget it...that sounds pretty important...I'll make sure to disable updates if I do it....I hesitated doing that first update when I saw it but hit yes at the last second...then realized after it might have patched something I didn't want patched...should I dump anything else before I try?.....those 6 files are all I dumped...and one called parameter.txt to get the address for dumping.....I don't care about the stuff I installed after buying it.....its mostly junk I would get rid of anyways.....games etc...

You can see the rom dump if you want to.....to check if its more recent firmware.....in the parameter.txt file it says firmware 4.4.2.....if that helps....otherwise I can send it to you.....or....how do you guys do that?...I didn't check on how large the files were......to large for email?...or maybe dropbox or something like that....?

Thanks

steve
        In order to do a custom ROM I need:

parameter.txt
        boot.img
        recovery.img
        kernel.img
        system.img
        misc.img

Just put them in a zip file and upload to Google Drive or Dropbox. Set it to share with anyone with a link...and PM me the link. I will get to it tomorrow night.

Sent from my P1 using Tapatalk
        Randy
        Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
        Read my BIO Here
        Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
        Donate here

Comment

Ok, thanks Randy. I registered with dropbox and uploaded the stock rom. Let me know if the link doesn't work. I think I have it set to share but not completely sure....No worries about when you do it...it works great with your first sero 8 rom....Apps install.....play store works....much speedier than the original was...and the battery even seems discharge a lot slower.....it's awesome.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by steve&b View Post
            Ok, thanks Randy. I registered with dropbox and uploaded the stock rom. Let me know if the link doesn't work. I think I have it set to share but not completely sure....No worries about when you do it...it works great with your first sero 8 rom....Apps install.....play store works....much speedier than the original was...and the battery even seems discharge a lot slower.....it's awesome.

steve
            Would you mind if I had access to the rom as well? I had dumped mine but I guess in all the fuss I forgot to move it to my external before I reinstalled my OS.

Comment

The new ROM is posted in post #1
              Randy
              Read my BIO Here
              Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
              Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                The new ROM is posted in post #1
                Thank you sir!

I just flashed the new rom but I did not see the stock recovery do a wipe. Instead it just showed the Hisense logo and then went to your custom logo with Hisense Sero 8, RileyROM 1.1 and FreakTab.com rotating in a gold ring. Does this mean the flash failed somehow?

Comment

I had been waiting with the custom logo for about 20 min before I had posted. As mentioned I did not see the device go into the stock recovery after I flashed. It just went straight into booting. I attempted to put the device into recovery myself a few ways but that just caused it to boot to the custom logo again. Here's what I found.

After flash if device boots to custom logo and hangs
                  Unplug the sero from the computer.
                  Hold PWR & Vol+ until it turns off and for a few seconds afterward.
                  Release and the device will boot to stock recovery.
                  Wipe data manually.
                  Wait the few minutes mentioned and reboot device. (I waited 5)
                  I went out to smoke after the reboot and when I came back everything was all good.

EDIT - Although upon inspecting TWRP it doesn't appear to be responsive to touch.
                  Last edited by Jefedfur; 08-21-2014, 05:26.

Comment

OK, I was afraid of that. We will need Abdul_pt to make a custom TWRP for this tablet. I was hoping that his generic KK version would work.
                    Randy
                    Read my BIO Here
                    Donate here

Comment

It's all good. It's such a new device to have something working already is nice. I can just put the stock recovery in place of yours and flash again to get the regular recovery back, correct?

Comment

I did go ahead and swap out the recovery files. The sero seems to be a bit smoother still with the updated rom. Thanks again.

Comment

I got the flashing logo too.If I reflash I'll try doing what Jefedfur did to clear it up. When I pressed power and volume up and it went into the menu I just did the first option-reboot. I wasn't sure what the other options did or if it would be safe to use them then. I'm glad it worked for some of you who tried it....I was kind of worried last night that someone would mess up their tablet because I dumped the ROM incorrectly or something

Comment

For Shaunmt- As far as a review on the tablet goes, It is pretty nice for what you pay for it. I did notice though that some apps aren't compatible with it. I guess ones that need an accelerometer or other hardware the Sero 8 doesn't have. I don't own anything else to compare it to really except an ipod touch . The games etc that I've used on both seem to play pretty much the same on the ipod and the Sero. There's a game called Smash Hit that I originally played on the ipod. It's pretty graphics intensive at times. It played pretty darn smooth on the Sero. I'm definitely satisfied with it. I didn't expect to be able to get much for that price range, which is kind of why I waited so long to get an android tablet...its pretty cool being able to flash it with custom roms too...Once you do it a few times it gets less scary...That first time I was concerned what would happen.....lol. But now if it doesn't work I just think....meh.....I can just reflash it....no big deal....a few minutes and its back working....

Comment

Last night before I finally left for work I was moving some folders over to the Sero and noticed that the storage was only 3gb. The updated rom contains multiple parameter files as the FirstTimeUserGuide mentions in the Q&A. The default parameter file is a 3gb designation. I went ahead and just put the parameter file from the first rileyrom in place of the ones included with the new rom. Problem solved.

Comment

How did you guys disable the ota updates after you rooted?....I read a bunch of different ways people said they did it but they all seem like they would end up disabling something I would still want to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X